Choose an Itzhak Perlman Concerto

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Friday is the 67th birthday of Itzhak Perlman, the Israeli-born violinist, teacher and conductor. We marked the occasion by giving you a choice of one of his three celebrated recordings of the standard concerto repertoire: the Beethoven, Brahms and Barber Violin Concertos.

You voted for the Beethoven Concerto, which beat the Barber by just two votes. We played it today at 12 noon.

The winning recording: Ludwig van Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 61 (Philharmonia Orchestra/Carlo Maria Giulini, conductor)

Alberto from Midtown

Bernie from UWS - Itzhak is one of the most engaging performers I have ever seen. Even in open rehearsals with the New York Philharmonic, there is more joie de vivre in his spritely and often humorous interpretations of high romanticism then most artists will ever achieve. He's not doing it for the paycheck. When you seem play, even now, it's absolutely clear that he's doing it for the communal revelation that is great art.

Aug. 29 2012 11:52 AM
renato from BRAZIL

what a nasty and useless comment; Perlman is and will always be one of the greatest violinists in the world.
listening to him play is a delight.
anyone who can do better should step forward

Aug. 29 2012 11:52 AM
Bernie from UWS

Perlman was great in his prime but he's been sleepwalking through his performances for many years now. Completely bored on stage and just picking up a paycheck. Surely there are more relevant and compelling musicians to celebrate now.

Aug. 29 2012 11:41 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Perlman, Beethoven and Giulini, who could resist such a combination?!

As a child, Itzhak Perlman was stricken with polio, but, over the years, he has triumphed over the disease.

He's become a truly unique and gifted violinist, a happily married man and the father of several children.

I've seen him several times and I have always been "blown away".

Aug. 29 2012 11:39 AM
Luis

Happy birthday maestro! Since Sibelius is not an option.I'll go for Brahms.

Aug. 29 2012 11:33 AM
Alberto Annunziata from Westchester County

Please play the majestic, awesome, goose-bumpy Brahms!!!

Aug. 29 2012 11:31 AM
Matthew Coyle from Hell's Kitchen

I believe I attended the Barber concert the great Perlman played with the BSO- it was divine and I'd love to relive that wonderful experience!

Aug. 29 2012 11:05 AM
Nira

My brother was a violinist. And I used to hear him practice this piece when I was a child. It's one of my favorits.

Aug. 29 2012 11:03 AM
David Gravitz from Westchester County, NY

As popular as the Beethoven is in the concert hall, WQXR does not play it that often (possibly because of its length?). I hope to hear it today at noon. Happy birthday, Maestro.

Aug. 29 2012 10:52 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I had the good fortune to see Itzhak Perlman perform at the NJ Performing Arts Center a few years ago, and he was wonderful. Happy Birthday, Mr. Perlman, and many more!

Aug. 29 2012 10:30 AM
Jeffrey from Manhattan

I was introduced to the Barber by Hilary Hahn (a 1997 Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia alumnus with Barber, who graduated in 1934) and loved it. I would love to compare her youthful rendition with Perlman's more seasoned version. There is a funny story that the Barber concerto was commissioned by the father of a young violinist to show off his son's pyrotechnics. Barber almost had to repay the advanced commission because the young violinist pronounced the 3rd movement impossible to play. Obviously not for Hahn and certainly not for Perlman.

Aug. 29 2012 10:27 AM
Judith from Massachusetts

Perlman is superlative... and so is Beethoven's violin concerto. It is one of the few pieces of music I could put on replay in the morning and still be delighted with after hours and hours of listening!

Aug. 29 2012 09:53 AM
Jeremy Gottlieb from NYC

Barber is a must for me! When I've had a really stressful day, there is nothing better in the world than the second movement of Barber's violin concerto. The sonorous sounds of that movement rock me into a deep and peaceful slumber

Aug. 29 2012 09:28 AM
Alfred Vulcan from Huntington, NY

Saw him on Shelter Island as a teacher and mentor to some of the world's best young violinists.

Aug. 29 2012 09:17 AM
John from Hoboken

The Barber, please. I attended the Conservatory of Music at Brooklyn College in the early 80's, and Mr. Perlman would frequent there because (if I'm not mistaken) of his friendship with the Conservatory's Chairman. We would gather in the hallways between classes - especially the rogue Composition students - and Itzak would join in our conversations, as if he were a student himself, even being gracious enough to look at snippets of what we were working on. We would marvel not only at his enormous talent, but his ability to be, at the same time, such a 'regular' guy. A remarkable man, indeed.

Aug. 29 2012 09:10 AM
Carol from Bronxville

Love both the Beethoven and Brahms, but I decided to vote to expand my horizons with Barber

Aug. 29 2012 09:09 AM
Sarah Walters

This was a tough choice, but no matter what Itzhak Perlman plays it is beautiful. I wish him a very happy birthday!

Aug. 29 2012 09:03 AM
robert bank from New York

The man is a genius and everything he touches sounds like heaven

Aug. 29 2012 08:45 AM
Philip Levine

try something different.

Aug. 29 2012 07:23 AM
AMIR HASSAN NAVAEI

Itzhak perlman is the best violonist in my opinion. I would like to see him playing violin.

Aug. 29 2012 02:17 AM