Choose Your Back to School Classic

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Kids are heading back to school this week. To accompany their return we asked you to choose three children’s favorites. This week's Showdown was a photo finish. As voting closed, it appeared that Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra had won; a second look at the videotaped revealed that the Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals won by a snout. As a result, we played both pieces today at 12 noon.

Lifesart from Long Island

So funny just now to look up and see "On Air: Midge Woolsey The Noon Witch" !

I voted for the Saint Saens as it is one of my favorite pieces, both to play and here. If it doesn't win, there's always mp3s.

Sep. 05 2012 11:54 AM
nancy c ohen from eastvillage

I have always been rivted by p and the wolf, perhaps and not in the least, because I have such a clear visual of the story.. with the obvious villainry of the poor wolf doing its natural thing and Sasha the innocent...it has stayed and stayed with me.. I can feel the hunt through the forest ... so yes Peter and the Wolf..

Sep. 05 2012 11:52 AM
Nicole Baker Bernacet

Peter and the Wolfe please

Sep. 05 2012 11:51 AM
Shelly Friedman from Manhattan

All three are favorites of mine, so it is a hard choice. I pick "Young People's Guide to the Orchestra" because I have always found the music to be both up-lifting and fun.

Sep. 05 2012 11:47 AM
Jean Anderson from Red Bank, NJ

My choice is Peter and the Wolf. The music is so captivating, and it makes me feel like a kid again.

Sep. 05 2012 11:46 AM
Bob Huber

Purcell repackaged preeminently.

Sep. 05 2012 11:43 AM
LEE APT from NYC

I LOVE THIS PIECE! AFTER LISTENING TO IT IN "MUSIC APPRECIATION" AT HUNTER COLLEGE - I WOULD MOVE ONTO MY MATH CLASS - AND THEN HEAR IT AGAIN STREAMING THROUGH THE WINDOWS. IT WAS A GREAT WAY TO LEARN MATH :)

Sep. 05 2012 11:41 AM
John Goodwin from Demarest, NJ

I voted for Peter and the wolf. Of course I have heard the Bernstein version before and enjoyed it.
BUT, I would really like to hear the Midge Woolsey version. I saw and heard her perform P & T wolf
last season at a Parlance program in Ridgewood, NJ. She was wonderful. Of course she had an advantage.
There were children just in front of the stage and she was able to "play to the children".

Best wishes, John

Sep. 05 2012 11:28 AM
Barbara from Mt. Kisco, NY

Britten's got it all....the possibilities to daydream are endless.

Sep. 05 2012 11:26 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Mrs. Belsky, my 6th grade teacher, taught me a love of classical music with Prokofiev's "Peter and The Wolf" and I have always been very grateful to her for that influx of "magic" in my young life.

So, I would love to hear Prokofiev's "Peter and The Wolf" and remember those "magical" 6th grade days with Mrs. Belsky.

Sep. 05 2012 11:19 AM
Sylmusica

Have always loved Peter & the Wolf. In the 70s and early 80s my Dad used to play it for me on an LP. It helped cultivate within me an appreication for classical music, it's many textures, tones, colors, moods and, of course, harmonies.

Sep. 05 2012 11:15 AM
Charles from Brooklyn's Ft. Greene.

All three selections whenever played on WQXR stop me immeiaytely in my tracks. The very memories or Bernstein and his pedanticism along with much of my own early learning have led me to the Peter and the Wolf choice today.

Sep. 05 2012 11:08 AM
Carol from Bronxville

Ordinarily, I would choose Alice Cooper's "School's Out for Summer," you know, something to look forward to, but I didn't see that as a choice today. So, I think it's Benjamin Britten who will provide the next best inspiration for everyone returning to school. I hope everyone has a wonderful school year!

Sep. 05 2012 11:07 AM
Elaine from Long Island

I played Peter and the Wolf to my children and then to my grandchildren - I thought what a fun way to introduce classical music to children or to anyone who is a child at heart!!

Sep. 05 2012 11:03 AM
Harriet Brown from Bayside, NY

It was a very tough choice for me. In the end, I chose "Young People's Guide to the Orchestra" because it demonstrates the different instruments of the orchestra.

But today, does anyone ever listen to Tubby the Tuba, Rusty in Orchestraville or The Magic Violin?

Sep. 05 2012 11:00 AM
Cathy from California

I'd rather teach kids respect and compassion for animals, especially misunderstood and endangered wolves, so I'm not a big fan of stories like Red Riding Hood or Peter and the Wolf, although the music is beautiful.

Sep. 05 2012 11:00 AM
gunda from Manhattan

What a fantastic idea to play a "back to school classic". Keep inventing, WQXR, I love you! Gunda

Sep. 05 2012 10:58 AM
Dimitar Kambourov from New York

For me Britain's piece is associated firmly with Kenneth Clark's Civilization, a documentary that changed my young life. I could not miss the chance to vote for it although my daughter would kill me for having not voted for the Carnival.

Sep. 05 2012 10:58 AM
Suzanne from New York, NY

Having loved Peter and the Wolf as a child I recently had the joy of introducing it to my grandchildren with the hopes it will give them a love of classical music as it did for me.

Sep. 05 2012 10:41 AM
Germaine

Love them all, but, went for "Young People's Guide to the Orchestra."

Sep. 05 2012 10:40 AM
Edward Duff from Kissimmee, FL

Well, difficult to choose only ONE, so I picked the one I've
heard the least, especially recently. I was an on-air personality
for 8 years in Provincetown, MA and I always dedicated a program
for the return of the school, however, I did it the week before they
went to school so the kids got to hear it too. Thanks for the
reminder, Ed

Sep. 05 2012 10:14 AM
Carolann from Denville,NJ

Love them all, but since I'll be singing Britten's "Ceremony of Carols" this season, I'd like to hear "The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra".
Thanks!

Sep. 05 2012 10:09 AM
Jeanne from Berln, VT

As a child, whenever I heard this played I got chills. Nothing was as scary as the wolf music.

Sep. 05 2012 10:08 AM
Tepp from NYC

This was a tough choice. I have introduced all three to my children and my grandchildren and love hearing them any time they are played. However, I love the melody that runs through the Introduction to the Orchestra. Too bad the kids are in school!

Sep. 05 2012 09:49 AM
ginny from new rochelle, ny

Peter and the Wolf is so magical, with different instruments representing animals.. especially love the duck! Reminds me of my father and his love of classical music.. thank you for playing these today..

Sep. 05 2012 09:38 AM
Tom from Montclair, NJ

Carnival of the Animals is the best of the bunch, by far. It has such diversity, such playfulness, such beauty, just like all new classes starting off a new school year.

Sep. 05 2012 09:27 AM
Bart from Manhattan

A classroom is certailnly a 'Carnival of Animals' so why not hear it on the first day of school.

Sep. 05 2012 08:33 AM
Janet from Belford, NJ

It thrills and delights me every time!

Sep. 05 2012 06:56 AM
Bob Parisi from Bergen County NJ

It just makes me feel young again.

Sep. 05 2012 06:48 AM