Kick-Off Music for the New York Philharmonic's 171st Season

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tonight at 7:30, WQXR brings you a live broadcast of the first concert of the New York Philharmonic’s 2012-13 season. For today’s Showdown, web asked you to cast your vote for one of three New York Philharmonic recordings of music that will be heard in performances this upcoming season.

You chose Brahms' Symphony No. 2 in D, Op. 73 as your top choice. At noon we played the New York Philharmonic, under the direction of Kurt Masur, performing the piece.

A WQXR regular listener

Can't help being surprised, since my favorite of the 3 choices is the amazingly creative and I think wonderful Symphony Fantistique

Sep. 19 2012 01:18 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

The total adds up to 100.1% Is this the new math?

Sep. 19 2012 12:51 PM
Richard Schneider from Boston

Scheherazade had 42% as of 12:40, yet Brahms ended up with 51%! How is this possible? Are people stuffing the ballot box or something?

Sep. 19 2012 12:46 PM

In 2009, I was listening to WQXR and was so inspired by Rimsky-Korsakov's piece that I named my (then) new kitty Scheherazade. That's my vote.

Sep. 19 2012 11:16 AM
Scott from Morristown

Actually listened to all three but favorite is the Scheherazade, even with its "pauses" between movements as a result of the old 78s.

Sep. 19 2012 10:12 AM
Scott from Morristown

Growing up I listened to this regularly with my father on old Red Seal 78's (which i still have BTW). It was something of a surprise years later when I heard a live performance and realized there was no pause between movement 3 and 4. Who knew!?

Sep. 19 2012 09:50 AM
Ed from Kissimmee, FL

Right on Bernie! In my "former life" in Massachusetts I subscribed to season's seats for the BSO. After three years I stopped subscribing. If music were verbal language I could have lip synced it!

Sep. 19 2012 09:48 AM
Tom

All of them are great.

Sep. 19 2012 09:30 AM
Bernie from UWS

Let's see, 3 overplayed warhorses that everyone's heard a million times. Kind of sounds like a NY Philharmonic program. An appropriate enough survey.

Let's have some pieces we don't hear so often instead of more pandering, WQXR.

Sep. 19 2012 07:50 AM