You Choose the Chicago Symphony Conductor

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The second season of Carnegie Hall Live begins tonight at 7 with a broadcast of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by music director Riccardo Muti, performing Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana.

For this week’s Showdown we look back to three previous music directors of this powerhouse orchestra: Fritz Reiner (1953-1962), Sir Georg Solti (1969-1991) and Daniel Barenboim (1991-2006). We asked you to tell us which one of the three you wanted to hear with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and we played the winner today at noon.

Janet Jelly from Wayne,NJ

I was thrilled to hear Barenboim conduct Brahms at Tanglewood many years ago!

Oct. 03 2012 11:50 AM
Janet Jelly from Wayne, NJ

Nothing beats Brahms at lunch-time!

Oct. 03 2012 11:43 AM
William Leo Coakley from Manhattan

I vote for the Golden Age--and the great Bartok one hears less frequebtly,

Oct. 03 2012 11:41 AM

Brahms. Anytime and anywhere.

Oct. 03 2012 11:38 AM
LINDA C DOERY from OSSINING NY

I'LL VOTE FOR BEETHOVEN.
CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF HIM!

Oct. 03 2012 11:27 AM
Julie Bohl from Westchester

Fritz Reiner is my choice!
I find myself being enthralled with how beautifully a work is being performed. I write down the time and go back to the playlist to see who conducted. So often it's Frity Reiner with the Chicago.

Oct. 03 2012 11:22 AM
Julie from NJ

Brahms and Beethoven get so many spins...let's hear something a bit different today. Batrok for me.

Oct. 03 2012 11:05 AM
Steve from Bronx

Not only is the Bartok arguably the greatest orchestral piece (I did say arguably) of the 20th century, but Reiner's recording tops all others, in my view. Moreover, I believe WQXR needs to lean more toward the less frequently heard pieces whenever possible.

Oct. 03 2012 10:38 AM
Monty from Brooklyn, NY

We hear the others so often on WQXR. Go For the Bartok!

Oct. 03 2012 10:08 AM
Bernie from UWS

Yes, Reiner's Concerto for Orchestra is a classic recording and gets my vote. Barenboim's time with the CSO was not considered to be among his or the orchestra's greatest achievements. I never thought Solti was much of a Beethoven conductor - why not include one of his Mahler or Bruckner recordings here?

Oct. 03 2012 08:33 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

I'll take Fritz Reiner in the "Concerto for Orchestra" any day. Reiner's close association with the composer and the Orchestra that was never better than under Reiner, (and Frederick Stock in earlier days,)seal the deal. I don't consider the other conductors in Reiner's league at all, though all three works are certainly perennial masterpieces.

Oct. 03 2012 08:22 AM
Tim from Washington, DC

I wore the groove off of that Reiner Bartok record - it was my introduction to "modern" music back in the day, (somehow "The Rite of Spring" didn't count)and it is my pick for today. Thanks again QXR for another fun contest.

Oct. 03 2012 07:56 AM