You Pick the No. 1 Piano Concerto

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

When it comes to Romantic-era composers' piano concertos, was their first thought their best thought? For this week's Showdown, we asked you to pick which of these First Piano Concertos you wanted to hear.

You selected Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, Op. 23 and at noon we played the piece performed by pianist Stephen Hough with the Minnesota Orchestra under the direction of Osmo Vanska.

More information about the selections:

Franz Liszt: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-Flat Major, S. 124
— Krystian Zimerman (whose birthday is today), piano; Symphony Orchestra; Seiji Ozawa, conductor.

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, Op. 23
— Stephen Hough, piano; Minnesota Orchestra; Osmo Vanska, conductor.

Frederic Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11
— Maria Joao Pires, piano; Chamber Orchestra of Europe; Emmanuel Krivine, conductor.

Connie from New York City

What happened to Grieg. I never hear that one

Dec. 19 2012 09:08 AM
Sydney Wolfe Cohen from Chappaqua, N.Y.

While at any given hour I might prefer to hear the first piano concerto of Beethoven, or Schumann, or Liszt, or almost any Russian, I respect and admire most the powerful romanticism of the Brahms First Piano Concerto in D minor, Op. 15.

Dec. 05 2012 05:48 PM
Frank Fumelli

I'm surprised Rachmaninoff's #2, and Grieg's, did not make the cut.

Dec. 05 2012 03:04 PM
Anita Bushell from Brooklyn

Love Chopin, love Lizst but Tchaikovsky is an addiction I've dealt with since childhood...nothing I can do about it!

Dec. 05 2012 11:53 AM
David from Sleepy Hollow, NY

Franz is at the top of my list. Twenty-six years in the making: procrastinators take heart!

Dec. 05 2012 11:49 AM
ann hoodgkins from denville nj

They are all beautiful but Chopin will always get my vote.

Dec. 05 2012 11:33 AM
Gerald Michael Doyle

As a little boy a can remember watching Margaret O'Brien in a movie where she had this Concerto played and the music was OUTSTANDING!

Dec. 05 2012 11:30 AM
ann hodgkins from denville nj

They are all beautiful but Chopin always gets my vote.

Dec. 05 2012 11:30 AM
Daureen from White Plains, NY

I was introduced to classical music at age 13, and my first LP [a gift] was Van Cliburn's recording of Tchaikovsky's piano concerto no. 1. That was in 1956, and I still have it, along with a newer recording on CD.

Dec. 05 2012 11:28 AM
Robert Tyson from Jersey City NJ

When Cliburn returned from Moscow and played this piece on the Steve Allen show I thought I just have to hear more of this type of music. Thus began my search on radio. (There were more classical music stations on AM and FM then) My first classical album however was Beethoven Fifth on 78's conducted by Felix Weingartner.

Dec. 05 2012 11:27 AM
Miles from Montclair, NJ

While Chopin's concertos have often been criticized for having less than stellar orchestrations, I still find his first concerto sublimely beautiful. And while I have not heard the Pires recording, I look forward to her interpretation, since she is one of the most poetic pianists around, as was Guiomar Novaes, whose decades-old recording is still the gold standard so far as I am concerned. Please play the Chopin!

Dec. 05 2012 11:27 AM
barbara from Mountainside, NJ

I was first introduced to this concerto in my teens, and was entranced by the thrid movement. I love the Tchaivosky also, but something about the lively finale of the Chopin still makes me soar with joy.
PS I was born in the same year as WQXR

Dec. 05 2012 11:22 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

I'd like to vote for that magnificent piece of music, Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, and I do think that Stephen Hough and Osmo Vanska would do it beautifully.

Dec. 05 2012 11:22 AM
jean Rinaldo from union city NJ

I chose Tchaikovsky, which is an old horse, because I want to hear what Stephen Hough does with it. I feel Maestro Hough is under represented amongst the great pianists of our time. His recordings of the Saint Saens Piano concertos are the best available on CD now.

Dec. 05 2012 11:18 AM
margarita lutteral, from manhattan new york

Today, is Chopin for me! Miss Joao Pires' technique is sublime !

Dec. 05 2012 11:15 AM
rae barlow from New York City

Stephen Hough is an unusually talented pianist who we do not hear ofTten enough. It's the Tschaikowsky for me.

Dec. 05 2012 11:08 AM
Kriss from Piscataway NJ

When it comes to romance, Tschaikovsky is my favorite!

Dec. 05 2012 10:38 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

No contest - it's Tchaikovsky for me!

Dec. 05 2012 10:36 AM
Jeanne from New York City

First choice is the Tchaikovsky - it's so magnificent - but the others are wonderful as well. I love the Showdown at High Noon! It's such a great way to get everyone involved with this beautiful music. Thank you!

Dec. 05 2012 10:01 AM
Gainor Bergman from Yonkers, N.Y.

They're all wonderful, but first choice is Chopin!

Dec. 05 2012 09:46 AM
Beatrice from NYC

Tchaikovsky is my choice; but the others are wonderful as well.

Dec. 05 2012 09:43 AM
Tom from Montclair, NJ

Chopin, the "poet of the piano" always. Thanks for the showdown at noon Wednesdays. Great idea. But, don't hesitate long in playing Liszt or Tchaikovsky: They're both wonderful!

Dec. 05 2012 09:13 AM
Kathy Wood from New York City

Nothing like Arthur Rubenstein and Chopin. No contest!

Dec. 05 2012 08:59 AM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

I prefer Beethoven's First PC, really. There's incredible Romantic passion in the restraint of that second movement. But I'll gladly go with the Liszt, thanks!

Dec. 05 2012 07:03 AM
Jon Fletcher from Europe

My choice is Chopin 1st.Thank you!
Jon Fletcher