Poll: What's Your Favorite Non-English Christmas Carol?

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Half of New Yorkers speak a language other than English at home, according to recent data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, and compiled and reported last week by WNYC.

At Christmas time, this not only means more multilingual Santas in malls and advertisements in varied languages, but that holiday music is frequently played in a language other than English.

This week, WQXR is spotlighting a new album by the French choir Arsys Bourgogne containing Christmas songs hailing from around the world and sung in seven different languages. Tell us your favorite international carol in our poll.

JM Bunn from NYC

The Huron Carol is one my favorites. Another is Maria Walks Amid the Thorn, a German carol. In French, it's Entre le Boeuf et l'Ane Gris; for Spanish, A la Nanita Nana and Arruru; Latin, Corde Natus ex Parentis. Then there are all the wonderful Polish carols - too many to choose even one! How can anyone have a single favorite in any language?

Dec. 23 2012 12:06 AM
Peter J Blume from Westchester, NY

One of my favorites is 'Leise Rieselt der Schnee' (Quietly the Snow falls)

Merry Christmas to all!
peterjblume.com

Dec. 14 2012 12:06 AM
Siggy from Jersey Shore

O Holy Night sung in French.

Dec. 12 2012 04:49 PM

My favorite is TZINDT ON LIKHTELEKH - Folk Melody by the Western Wind. Happy Holidays!

Dec. 12 2012 04:39 PM
Wendy from Delaware

D'où viens-tu, bergère? I was born in NYC. We learned German & French carols, This one was so sweet, gentle, and mysterious - as a very small child it was the one I loved. My mother used to sing it with us.

Dec. 12 2012 11:09 AM
Surfer

I like the Latin carol, Gaudete.

Dec. 12 2012 10:42 AM
Hans L from Manhattan

"Carol" may be the wrong word, but I always loved Es Ist Ein Ros' Entsprungen, the Medevial song by M. Praeterius.
(Are YouTube links OK?)

Dec. 11 2012 10:28 PM

Riu Riu Chiu, which I have in about six versions, and Gesu Bambino.

Dec. 11 2012 06:47 PM
Susan Mills from Coatepec, Veracruz, Mexico

One of my favorite carols is "Un flambeau, Jeanette, Isabelle." Another is the beautiful German lullaby, "Still, Still, Still."

Dec. 11 2012 05:41 PM
Hannah

I love the Czech carol "Rocking". I have never heard it in Czech, as Hajej, Nynej, Jezisku, but I find it a beautiful lullaby.

Dec. 11 2012 05:09 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

I love to hear all already mentioned in the poll, but I wonder if Adolphe Adam's "O Holy Night" qualifies? I assume it's French. If you don't mind hearing from a non-Christian, hearing it sung properly --- by an opera or oratorio singer --- such as the likes of Jussi Bjoerling who recorded it and sung it in Swedish is a transcendent experience all by itself. I get gooseflesh every time I hear it.

Dec. 11 2012 04:09 PM
Robert Hughes from NYC

Scottish: "Lo, how a rose 'er bloometh"

Dec. 11 2012 11:35 AM