Rossini's The Barber of Seville

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Rodion Pogossov as Figaro in Rossini’s 'The Barber of Seville' Rodion Pogossov as Figaro in Rossini’s 'The Barber of Seville' (Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

This week's broadcast from the Met features Gioacchino Rossini's comic masterpiece Il Barbiere di Seviglia (The Barber of Seville).

The production stars Rodion Pogossov as Figaro, the wily barber who helps bring two lovers together. Soprano Isabel Leonard is the fetching heroine Rosina, and the young American tenor Alek Shrader makes his Met role debut as Count Almaviva, the nobleman who disguises himself to win Rosina's heart.

John Del Carlo returns as Rosina's guardian, Dr. Bartolo, and Jordan Bisch is his co-conspirator, the music teacher Don Basilio. Yves Abel conducts the performance, staged by the Tony Award-winning director Bartlett Sher.

Conductor: Yves Abel
Rosina: Isabel Leonard
Count Almaviva: Alek Shrader
Figaro: Rodion Pogossov
Dr. Bartolo: John Del Carlo
Don Basilio: Jordan Bisch

Production: Bartlett Sher

gany from Flushing, NY

sorry to mr. lane from mi mi mi to me me me me me !!!!

Jan. 11 2013 02:42 PM
gany from Flushing, NY

Mr. Baker from mi mi mi to me me me me

Jan. 11 2013 02:35 PM
william pagenkopf from Flushing, NY

The English Barber exceeds how far Gelb will go to make money, get attention and dum down opera as he has by updating them.
Reform or quit...........

Also Hitchcock said a film should be no longer that a persons bladder capacity. There are eceptions, Wagner et al.
But the people that can afford your prices are the very ones
who will disturb all by leaving midst and not being able to reenter will end their subscriptions.
And I thought Bing was bad...............

Jan. 11 2013 02:18 PM
Larry Eisenberg from New York City

Why a "commenter"?

A Woman announcer? How sad!
A Male commenter must be had!
Cross, Allen? No commenter!
A Woman needs a Yenta!
It does drive this listener mad!

Dec. 22 2012 03:04 PM
Larry Eisenberg from New York City

The Barber in English? No zest!
Clearly in Italian it's best!!
And at what a cost,
PACE GIOIA gets lost,
With little panache to the rest!

Dec. 22 2012 02:58 PM

As a singer singing roles in their original languages, in German, Italian, French and Russian, I can appreciate the challenge of singing the same roles in English. Singing in English is as pleasurable and as achievable with a good vocal technique as singing in opera's favorite language Italian. Technique is the sine qua non of singing, acting, composing and set and costume design. Artistry and imagination communicate the essence of an art work, but technique rules commandeering ideally the total product. TODAY'S CAST OF THE BARBER, as experienced by radio alone, has the lilt, the comic style, the voices and the enunciation to make for a most enjoyable operatic treat. Maestro YVES ABEL moves the proceedings with dash and the appropriate nuanced attention to detail. I am a Wagnerian romantischer heldentenor and an opera composer. My cousin MICHAEL BLANKFORT wrote both the books and screenplays for the 1953 film THE JUGGLER Hollywood film made in Israel starring KIRK DOUGLAS and the 1950 Hollywood film BROKEN ARROW starring JAMES STEWART and JEFF CHANDLER [Cochise]. The music for THE JUGGLER was composed by American opera composer GEORGE ANTHEIL, in whose opera VOLPONE I sang the tenor leading role [Mosca] in its professional world premiere in NEW YORK in 1953. ANTHEIL, famous for his opera TRANSATLANTIC and BALLET MECHANIQUE looked exactly like Peter Lorre. I have sung four solo concerts in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall. As part of my Ten Language Solo Debut concert at the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall, I opened my three hour concert with the Invocazione di Orfeo from Jacopo Peri's opera EURIDICE composed in 1600, the first opera, composed in the same year as Shakespeare wrote HAMLET In the program I also sang Florestan's monologue "Gott! welch dunkel hier!' from "FIDELIO" and "Sound an Alarm" from Handel's "JUDAS MACCABAEUS." They can be heard from my live performance on my three websites, www.WagnerOpera.com, , www.ShakespeareOpera.com, and www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com. They received rave critical notices in newspapers and magazines. My voice teachers were the legendary MET OPERA singers Alexander Kipnis, Friedrich Schorr, Martial Singher, John Brownlee, Karin Branzell and Margarete Matzenauer. As an opera composer myself ["Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare"] I fully comprehend the assumed urgency of recognition of the still living. I am the director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton, NJ where I train actors in all the Shakespeare roles and big-voiced singers in all the Wagner opera roles. On my websites one may download, free, at "Recorded Selections" my singing of Siegfried, Gotterdammerung Siegfried, Tristan, Siegmund, Parsifal, Lohengrin, Rienzi, Walther von Stolzing, Otello, Eleazar and Florestan.

Dec. 22 2012 02:52 PM
kenny from boca raton

i love placido domingo

Dec. 22 2012 01:54 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

CBC: Hope you are well. This opera is sure to cheer me up after this really bad year. Hope the soprano sings Rosina in the mezzo-soprano range.
Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo a tutti.

Dec. 22 2012 10:46 AM