Berlioz's Les Troyens

This Week's Performance Starts at 12 pm ET

Saturday, January 05, 2013

A scene from Berlioz's 'Les Troyens' A scene from Berlioz's 'Les Troyens' at the Met, which has seen multiple cancellations this season. (Cory Weaver/Metropolitan Opera)

Berlioz’s five-act epic about the siege of Troy returns in Francesca Zambello's grand 2003 production. The performance includes Susan Graham as Dido, Deborah Voigt as Cassandra, Marcello Giordani as Aeneas and Karen Cargill as Anna. Met Principal Conductor Fabio Luisi marshals the massive musical forces.

Conductor: Fabio Luisi
Cassandra: Deborah Voigt
Dido: Susan Graham
Anna: Karen Cargill
Aeneas: Bryan Hymel
Iopas: Eric Cutler
Chorèbe: Dwayne Croft
Narbal: Kwangchul Youn

Production: Francesca Zambello

Les from Miami, Florida

Indeed, may those artists who left us in 2012 rest in peace. Beniamino Gigli's final Carnegie Hall concert has been recorded. Gian Giacomo Guelfi was an awe-inspiring Scarpia and Amonosro, among many other roles.

Jan. 06 2013 08:57 AM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from :Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NJ

As Les from Miami, florida has written, it most definitely should have been updated that BRYAN HYMEL substituted for MARCELLO GIORDANI, MOST IMPRESSIVELY ! DEBORAH VOIGT as Cassandra and SUSAN GRAHAM as Dido both were exemplary in their respective roles. Maestro FABIO LUISI commandeered the proceedings with aplomb. For me the reading between the acts of the MET singers who died this past year was saddening, for many of those mentioned I had performed with. GLoria Davy was a classmate of mine at Juilliard. She got to sing the title role of Aida her first year with the MET, Evelyn Lear, who had just won the New York State Teachers of Singing Award of a Town Hall concert volunteered to accompany me at the piano when, during an interview with RUBY MERCER the host of a WNYC program MR. and MRS. OPERA for broadcast three days later on a Sunday, asked for a recording of my singing voice. I had no recording. BENIAMINO GIGLI asked them to play DI QUELLA PIRA. I sang Wagner's RIENZI PRAYER to her accompaniment. My solo debut TEN LANGUAGE concert at the Isaac Stern Auditorium at 5:30 pm was preceded there by Gigli's final concert at 2 pm. Evelyn's concert at NY's TOWN HALL was at 8 pm the same day. ANDRIJ DOBRIANSKY and I sang with the General Platoff Don Cossacks and other companies Gianjacomo GUELPHI sang with ,me at Teatro Massimo in Palermo and some others on the list I knew as colleagues. R.I.P.

Jan. 05 2013 07:05 PM
AF from Long Island

I was very much impressed by the singing of Bryan Hymel, and agree with the comment made earlier that a star is born!!

Jan. 05 2013 07:00 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

Bravissimo to everyone...Bryan Hymel, Deborah Voight, Susan Graham, chorus, off-stage band, Maestro Luisi. I was following the performance with the full score (Ba"renreiter Edition) while listening to the radio broadcast. This is The Metropolitan Opera at its glorious best. This is a performance I'm sure will be remembered and revered by all lucky enough to have seen it live. The comment I most love giving --- and certainly do so here without any reservation at all --- is this: I loved everything I heard! As a postscript, the saxhorn solos in the "Royal Hunt and Storm" were played by the orchestra horns. I'm guessing that the saxhorn solos in the off-stage band were also played by horns. Apologies if this appears more than once. I'm having trouble posting it.

Jan. 05 2013 05:40 PM
Suzanne from New York

I'm a little surprised that WQXR has not updated the cast list to show that Bryan Hymel, not Marchello Giordani, is singing Aeneas in the broadcast. That change was made a couple of weeks ago.

Jan. 05 2013 03:24 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, NJ

BERLIOZ'S "LES TROYEN" IS TO OPERA'S EARLY BEGINNINGS WHAT STAR WARS, CHARLES DICKENS'S NICHOLAS NICKELBY, HOMER'S ULYSSES AND ODYSSEY, MICHELANGELO'S SISTINE CHAPEL'S CREATION AND HIS LAST JUDGMENT, VICTOR HUGO'S PLAY LES MISERABLES AND ITS MUSICAL VERSION BY MICHEL-SCHONBERG AND WAGNER'S RING ARE TO EPIC ACHIEVEMENT IN THE VISUAL AND AURAL ATRS. CONSIDERING ITS IMMENSE WAGNERIAN SIZE OF CAST AND ORCHESTRAL RESOURCES AND ITS HOMERIC STORY IT IS IN EVERY WAY SOMETHING MAGNIFICENT AND ENGROSSINGLY THRILLING FOR THE AGES !!! As orchestrators BERLIOZ, RIMSKY-KORSAKOFF, BEETHOVEN, WAGNER, STRAVINSKY, MAHLER and RICHARD STRAUSS each had their own idiosyncratic propensities which not only gave weight to the existing circumstance but grandiloquently added excitement. I appreciate BERLIOZ's treatment of the Homer epic from the standpoint of an opera composer myself and as a Wagnerian heldentenor. KUDOS TO THE MET FOR ITS FRANCESCA ZAMBELLO-DIRECTED PROCUCTION, MAESTRO FABIO LUISI AND THE ENTIRE CAST, ORCHESTRA AND CHORUS !!!

Jan. 05 2013 01:15 PM

Yes. Most of the operas start at 1pm, but today's broadcast is at noon. Really live from the Met.

Jan. 05 2013 11:28 AM

Please note the correct start time for the broadcast. According to the Met Opera's Radio Program Guide, it's slated to begin at Noon, ET, rather than the usual 1pm noted on WQXR's web site. It would be helpful for someone at the station to pay attention to disseminating this information well in advance.

Jan. 05 2013 09:15 AM
Alex CR from Barcelona

Performance begins at 12 PM. What time does broadcast begin?

Jan. 05 2013 04:28 AM
Heath from NY

A star is born. Bryan Hymel stole the show last night while filling in for Marcello Giordani. The crowd adored him.

Dec. 28 2012 01:13 AM