You Pick the Piano Quintet

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

This week's Showdown featured one of the great genres of Romantic-era chamber music, the piano quintet. We offered three great pianists and three great string quartets performing masterpieces of this repertoire.

You chose Arthur Rubinstein and the Guarneri Quartet performing Brahms' Piano Quintet in F Minor, Op. 34 and we played it at noon.

David from Ardsley, NY

Love all 3 of these but my favorite is the Trout by Schubert. Slightly different instrumentation (double bass instead of 2nd violin) but still a piano quintet and probably the most popular of all (as shown by the year-end countdown).

Jan. 02 2013 01:32 PM
NYMike from Manhattan

Addendum: I recently heard the Escher Quartet and a pianist play the Brahms at Tully Hall in LC - it was RIVETING! The Eschers are a quartet to be reckoned with.

Jan. 02 2013 12:06 PM
William Leo Coakley from Manhattan

I never thought I could vote against Rubinstein and Brahms but this summer in London I heard a group of young musicians play the ferocious Piano Quintet of Schumann’s, presided over by Steven Isserlis, who was giving a master class too but never played the star, completely blending in with the younger players.And I it should be equally splendid with the delightful Ax.

Jan. 02 2013 11:59 AM
NYMike from Manhattan

The Brahms is a gigantic piece in every way. My favorite recording, as well. I agree with Kenneth about some of the other quintets not listed.

Jan. 02 2013 11:58 AM
Natalia Huang Piano Studio from New York

Schumann is sounding good right now! But such a tough decision....love all three of them!

Jan. 02 2013 11:56 AM
Maryanne Alfano from Oakland Gardens, Queens

I am with Raymond Banacki from Bklyn on this one...Rubenstein please. Happy 2013 WQXR and all listeners! Pease, health, prosperity and MORE wonderful music!!

Jan. 02 2013 11:54 AM

Have to go with the original, Schumann. However, as is so typical of QXR these days, the choices are predictable and pedestrian. Why not include at least one piano quintet from Frank, Saint-Saëns, Reger, and most importantly Fauré (Chris O'Riley once told me he thought the Op. 115 was the greatest piece of chamber music written) and Shostakovich!!! Come on QXR, I think your listeners can take some more adventurous choices.

Jan. 02 2013 11:45 AM
Paula Gorelkin from Manhattan

Wow! What wonderful choices--all great performances. It would be great to hear the other works not chosen very soon. We missed hearing more chamber music in the Classical Countdown.

Jan. 02 2013 11:29 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Brahms, Rubenstein, the Guarneri, what a great way to start 2013!!

Jan. 02 2013 11:26 AM
Annette from North Bergen, NJ

Mom's here. Need something in a major key. Going with Dvorak.

Thanks!

Jan. 02 2013 11:24 AM
Ursula from Brooklyn

Dvorak!
Better yet---play them all. Great performers.

Jan. 02 2013 11:22 AM
Nina from NYC

All three piano quintets are wonderful. I'd be happy with any winner. :)

Jan. 02 2013 11:15 AM
Carol Lyons from Irvington, New York

I am just now reading Men of Music by Brockway and Weinstock and am reading the chapter on Schumann! "The Piano Quintet is one of his happiest inspirations.." they wrote. I would so much like to hear this.
Carol Lyons
aka
GREBLEZNik

Jan. 02 2013 10:57 AM
Rhoma from NYC

Why don't you play all three during the week? The choices are all good. And It will be such a relief from all that endless Beethoven programming. Am I the only listener who'd like to hear the Bach French and English Suites or Frescobaldi or Corelli or Fauré chamber music or so many other composers once in a while?

Jan. 02 2013 10:00 AM
Wendy Baker from New York City

I thought it would be nice to hear Rubinstein. I haven't heard him for a while. He was my favorite pianist as I ws growing up, perhaps because I once heard him say that he never practiced:-)

Jan. 02 2013 09:37 AM
arden broecking from Connecticut

Where is the "Trout" quintet of Schubert???

Jan. 02 2013 07:41 AM