One Cellist, Three Concertos

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

This week's Showdown offered up three major cello concertos from three different musical eras, each performed by one very popular cellist, Yo-Yo Ma.

Thursday at 7:30 pm, WQXR will bring you a live broadcast of Ma and the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. Ma will play Elgar’s monumental Cello Concerto on the broadcast, but as a warm-up, we asked you to tell us which of the following Ma performances you wanted to hear. You chose Ma performing Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op. 104 with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and Lorin Maazel conducting. We played it at noon.

Neil Schnall

@Matt Lanna: Were you referring to Artur Rubinstein?

Jan. 09 2013 03:32 PM
Joan Palermo from New York City

I chose Hayden. I don't think we hear enough of him. His music is wonderful and I always enjoy hearing his great symphonies.

However, all three are great composers so whomever it will be will be fine.

Jan. 09 2013 12:04 PM
William Leo Coakley from Manhattan

One alwaus should hear more Shostakovich, let's leave the other great works for another dat.

Jan. 09 2013 11:57 AM
Thomas Cassidy from Rockaway, New Jersey

WQXR is on every day in my home. I can't be without it.
I have been a listener of WQXR since well before you went "listener supported"
It would be nice to hear about some of the former hosts such as Lloyd Moss and othes.
I also contribute every year to keep classical music alive in New York and North Jersey where I live.

Jan. 09 2013 11:41 AM
Debi Unger from Bradley Beach, NJ

I choose the Haydn. This fantastic composer is underplayed and underrated. Please play his music more in the future.

Jan. 09 2013 11:40 AM
chris from suburb of Cooperstown

I saw YoYo MA at SPAC(Saratoga Performing Arts Center) this summer and he was marvelous. Since I am close to Albany I could see him this Sat. with the Albany Symphony. Unfortunately I will be in Boston for a family birthday and a playoff football game. Go Pats!

Jan. 09 2013 11:40 AM
GCL from Astoria NY

I picked the Dvorak one because as it happens besides the Elgar work, it is one I know best.

Strangely enough the Elgar recording that routinely shows up is one I have. The Dvorak one, may or may not, but it is refreshing. And in it I hear some of the melodies that the composer would use for his best known symphonic work.

Jan. 09 2013 11:39 AM
Matt Lanna from Ossining, NY

If someone inadvertently misspells Haydn--as Hayden--I believe you should correct the spelling before printing it.
I'm for hearing the Dvorak again. I last heard it in L'Aguila in Italy before the earthquake demolished most of the town. Artur Rubenstein used to perform there in a magnificent small hall with boxes on the orchestra level.

Jan. 09 2013 11:35 AM
Edward from Queens

Big Shostakovich fan! Such power, passion, and innovation. Looking forward to hearing the Philadelphia play his Fifth Symphony next week.

Jan. 09 2013 11:33 AM
bill corry from ny

I'd like to hear YoYo Ma play the Shostokovich Cello Concerto

Jan. 09 2013 11:26 AM
J.Mo. from Storrs, CT

Shostakovich for me. It's not often played but I can feel the angst of the composer ever time I listen. I was fortunate to see Lynn Harrell performing this at the Avery Fisher Hall and it was transcending experience.

Jan. 09 2013 11:13 AM
Mark from Wiliamsberg

The Dvorak is so over played that it has become a hackneyed warhorse. The Haydn less so. The Shostakovitch is interesting, beautiful and underplayed and overlooked. Why not take the risk - you might discover a gem.

Jan. 09 2013 11:09 AM
David from Ardsley, NY

I love the Dvorak and never tire of hearing it. I don't know the Shostakovich but will wait for another time to hear it. It would have been a harder choice if you had the Haydn C major concerto, which I like better than the D major. I agree with Harriet about Jacqueline duPre's incomparable rendition of the Elgar. Her recording of the Dvorak is also up there with the very best. What a loss at such a young age!

Jan. 09 2013 11:06 AM
Dan SHanok from Somerset, N.J.

Shostakovich for me. I suppose because I am a dissonant person in a harmonious world... and even though the "music of the spheres" is thought to resemble Bach or Brahms, I imagine that the cosmic background caused by happily frantic action of quarks and subquarks might sound closer to Shostokpvich?

Jan. 09 2013 10:57 AM
Johanna Roman from NYC--Manhattan

Hard to Choose, but being in a sentimental mood today, I'd love to hear the DVORAK. I'll try not to cry because it is so beautiful...

Brahms seems neglected; Could you play his Seranade #2 on your Soon-to-play list?

Thanks for the BEETHOVEN month. Please do that again soon --devote a month, a week, to music of a great composer. How about Bach, Haydn, Brahms, etc. There is much richness and variety in their works.

Johanna ROman
Constant listener, devoted supporter,
and grateful music lover

Jan. 09 2013 10:50 AM
Anne from New York City

Shostakovich, because I've never heard it; but I love Dvorak's music. Haydn is good, but music of his era seems to dominate the airwaves. Let's hear something that's not so well known.

Jan. 09 2013 10:49 AM
harrietb98 from Bayside, NY

I picked the Dvorak. I like Yo-Yo Ma. But, I really miss the late, great, cellist, Jacqueline DuPre playing the Elgar. That was my very favorite.

Jan. 09 2013 10:27 AM
Francisca Sabadie from Scarsdale

my knee jerk reaction was Haydn of course because i absolutely love his cello concerto but then i realized that i didn't even know that Shostakovich had written a cello concerto and love his music - particularly his operas and chamber music - so would love to hear it - i have recordings of the Haydn concerto and one hears Dvorak's quite often as well

so let it be Shostakovich!

but i will be happy with any of them

Jan. 09 2013 10:17 AM

My choice is Haydn.

Jan. 09 2013 10:16 AM
Lilly from Garden City S

The Hayden, of course.

Jan. 09 2013 10:06 AM
Arden Anderson-Broecking from Connecticut

Absolutely Dvorak!!!!

Jan. 09 2013 09:38 AM
Kriss from Piscataway, NJ

My choice is Haydn - we don't hear his wonderful music nearly often enough!

Jan. 09 2013 09:09 AM
Tim from Washington, DC

There's never enough Shostakovich on the radio, and his cello concerto is terrific. Play on!

Jan. 09 2013 08:00 AM