You Pick Mozart's Birthday Music

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This coming Sunday we’ll be celebrating the birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and today's Showdown helped get into the celebratory spirit.

We offered works from three genres: symphony, concerto and chamber music. You told us it's his Symphony No. 36 in C, K. 425, "Linz" you wanted to hear and we played it at noon performed by the Berlin Philharmonic with John Eliot Gardiner conducting.

Judy from Brooklyn, NY

Though the Wednesday contest is over, Mozart's actual birthday was January 27. January 27 falls on a Sunday this year. How lovely it would be to loll in bed, or be up and eating my pancakes to the strains of his Quintet in g minor, K. 516! I adore Mozart: his Haydn Quartets, his symphonies 25, 29 and all the late ones, his wonderful operas, his deathbed Mass ( to mention just a few.) But the conversation in the quintet: the terribly sad 1st violin, the consoling cello and, in the third movement, that ten note leap from B below middle C to high D -- when the consolation works -- never fails to stop my breath. How good it would be to find room to play it -AND TO LET ME KNOW WHEN, SO THAT I DON'T MISS IT!

P.S. There was a fine recording by the Griller Quartet, with William Primrose on the second viola. But I imagine the Guarneri and Emerson have made theirs, as well.

Jan. 24 2013 04:09 PM
Carol from Morristown, NJ

Please, please, please play the clarinet quintet! I play the clarinet and it is one of my favorite pieces. The clarinet an instrument that is most similar to the human voice in range and I think Mozart appreciated this. Thank you for your wonderful music.

Jan. 23 2013 11:50 AM
Diana Clark from Chatham, NJ

I agree, let's hear the clarinet piece! My Dad played the oboe with the D'Oyly Carte company before World War II and O have a very soft spot for all woodwinds. However, I wish you had included an opera choice ... always wonderful to hear anything from THE MAGIC FLUTE or COSI FAN TUTTE.. .especially "Soave sei il vento", one of Mozart's most sublime operatic pieces. Happy Birthday Wolfgang Amadeus!!!

Jan. 23 2013 11:40 AM
Judith

Please, the clarinet quintet. Wasn't it a relatively new instrument at Mozart's time? He certainly took advantage of all of thelovely sounds a clarinet can make! I once played clarinet, not well, and am in awe of what a clarinet and -netist can do. Thanks.

Jan. 23 2013 11:38 AM
David from Westchester from Ardsley, NY

Oops! I meant clarinet quintet not clarinet concerto in my comment

Jan. 23 2013 11:36 AM
Ruth Helen Ryer from Manhattan

Mozaart can do no wrong, but it seems to me that I hear the symphonies and the piano concertos more often than the clarinet piece, so my vote goes to that. Thanks for all the wonderful music you play (and I listen to) every day.

Jan. 23 2013 11:33 AM
David from Westchester from Ardsley, NY

Ever since I heard the clarinet concerto (on the final episode of M*A*S*H*), I loved it and it gets my vote today. The Linz Symphony is nice but it doesn't compare to #s 35,38,39,40 or 41. The piano concerto also doesn't compare to #s 20, 21, 22, 23, or 24.

Jan. 23 2013 11:32 AM
Jodie from New York

For me, it will have to be the Mozart clarinet quintet. It was written when Mozart was mature and it exhibits tones that he was trying to evoke. The quintet is dynamic and shows the versatility and ranges of the clarinet. It showcases the clarinet to the fullest extent. It is a typical classic for all musicians. Happy early birthday Mozart!!

Jan. 23 2013 11:30 AM
lonny

piano concerto please. its got it all. they best demonstrate his personality showing his playfullness, genious, and virtuosity that must have astounded the orchestra playing behind him as well as me every time i hear them.

Jan. 23 2013 11:25 AM
Priscilla from Manhattan

Due to happenstance, I was born on Mozart's birthday, and it only seems appropriate that he is my favorite composer, and favorite human mind. I selected the piano concerto because I think his concerti are the most sublime. I dedicate it to all who also share his birthday.

Jan. 23 2013 11:24 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

I'd have to go with the Piano Concerto No. 15 in B-flat, K. 450. It's a magnificent piece of work that features the piano, the flute, oboes, bassons, horns and strings! And it was written when Mozart himself was only 28 years old! Often considered a very difficult piece, in the hands of Mitsuko Ochida and the English Chamber Orchestra, it is a grand, grand achievement that Mozart himself would've applauded, I think. It is still very hard to believe that Mozart died at the age of 35 and actually had six children, only two of whom survived.

Jan. 23 2013 11:17 AM
Chris from NYC

Thank you for these three selections which are not heard as often. Mozart always soothes my soul and mind on a busy work day, and anything by him is good to listen to, but I vote for the piano concerto. Listening to WQXR has inspired me to buy a piano. After years of living in the city with out one, it is such a relief and pleasure to be playing again. Keep on with the Piano inspiration.

Jan. 23 2013 10:19 AM
Martin from Geneva, Suisse

It has to be Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Jan. 23 2013 10:19 AM
Tim from Washington DC

It's hard to celebrate Mozart without including his vocal music - operas are too long for your time slot of course, but surely some singing could have been included in today's contest? Of the three nice choices you do include, I vote for the piano concerto, and thank you for another fun Showdown.

Jan. 23 2013 10:12 AM
Karen

I choose his Symphoney #36 "Linz" It is just so beautiful, passoniate. Words can not express what I feel for Mozart! He's wonderful! Happy Birthday up there in Heaven to you!

Jan. 23 2013 10:09 AM
Francisca Sabadie from Scarsdale

i love all Mozart - have been to Salzburg many times in his honor - but i particularly love the way Mitsuko Uchida plays his piano concerti!

Jan. 23 2013 09:57 AM
Thomas Cassidy from Rockaway, NJ

Keep the great music coming...............I keep the station on all day long!

Jan. 23 2013 08:17 AM