Martha Argerich is Focus of Film Documentary By Her Daughter

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 08:00 PM

A scene from 'Bloody Daughter,' a film about Martha Argerich A scene from 'Bloody Daughter,' a film about Martha Argerich

Film directors and biographers have tried, with mixed results, to portray the reclusive and brilliant pianist Martha Argerich. Now, her filmmaker daughter is giving it a shot.

Stéphanie Argerich is the daughter of Martha Argerich and the concert pianist Stephen Kovacevich. According to her biography, she studied photography at the Parsons New School of Design in New York and filmmaking in Paris. She also has enjoyed a close relationship with her mother over the years.

The film is said to combine archival material of the elder Argerich’s early career with recent footage that portrays the mother and daughter relationship. One early review notes that audiences get an intimate look at the inscrutable artist, but hardly an unvarnished one. Tough questions remain unasked when it comes to Argerich’s famous bout with cancer or her influence on her children, said the reviewer.

Argerich, a 71-year-old native of Argentina, is famous as much for her fiery performances as for her frequent cancellations. Her bouts with stage fright and a past smoking addiction are well known. A 2002 film called “Martha Argerich: Evening Talks" (now available on DVD) managed to get close to the heart of some of these issues.

Whether "Bloody Daughter” finds a US distributor remains to be seen, but chances are, Argerich’s fans are already trying to get hold of it. Below is a French-language trailer.

Luis Felipe

Na minha opinião, ela é a maior pianista de todos os tempos.

Dec. 23 2013 08:26 PM
Liliana Kayali from New York

I will love to have a copy and more for our non profit The Argentine Cultural Center in New York. I hope a lot of success to Stephanie. Love it!

Dec. 02 2013 10:09 PM
Christine Rohrberg from California, USA

As a devotee of The goddess Martha Argerich, I will be first in line to get my copy of this DVD. I hope that it becomes available here in the U.S. or anywhere, online. Soon, yes, please!

Nov. 16 2013 03:20 PM
Leo from NW Arkansas

Martha Argerich is an incredible pianist, and I can only wish that I had been able to complete my education in classical piano playing. Ms. Argerich is a fantastic pianist, and she really puts herself into all of her playing.

Leo

May. 11 2013 08:46 AM
Paul from Sorel-Tracy, Can.

Greetings to all of you! I am French Canadian and was born on june 10th 1941, I have never studied music but was raised bathing in it,my preferred instruments piano and organ. I do not know if I am at the right address but I would like to post this comment hoping that it will somehowe reach Martha Argerich, a great pianist that I discovered recentely through internet. That internet I came to know at age 68! Of Martha Argerich I only knew her name and had never heard her play! Oh! I was a fan of Horowitz and Van Cliburn, the latter having a stricking resemblance with me. If any one of you have that RCA recording of Tchaikovsky's first with Kondrashin & Van Cliburn well that pianist with huge curly hair, that was me in my twenties! I loved those two pianists because of their character and their musicality. But recently through internet I was able to make a plunge in time and go back to the sixties and hear The young Martha's electrifying performances. I do admit that I missed a lot, I would not say that she is the best pianist in the world because such a statement is reliant of personal taste, character and education but I can say that to me she is the pianist that performs 100% to my taste, a great musician! She is intrinsically beautifull! Argentina has certainly lost very good doctor but the world has gained an unparalleled artist. Thank you Martha Argerich. Paul

Apr. 15 2013 11:05 PM
Martha Lehner from Houston, Texas, USA

I like what I saw of the short clip.
Will the movie be available comercially in DVDS? I recently retired and resurfaced my life time love of playing the piano. I look in the internet for video-recordings of the pieces I am learning, so I know what they are suppose to sound like. I saw Martha play as a soloist in Mar del Plata, Argentina. I immigrated to USA in 1969. Whenever I am among musicians or music lovers, if I am asked where I am from, automatically the name Martha Argerich is in every body's mine. Make's me jelous! I know I am runnig out of time so even if I practice like professional muscians do, it would take a miracle for me to sound like a virtuoso. I was also born in 1941 but, on September 19th. I thoroughly enjoy watching her video. I hope her Idea of a music program for retired people and senior citizens materializes. Just let me know what is happening.
Martha L.

Apr. 06 2013 11:42 PM
Patrick

Fingers crossed for a us distribution.

Apr. 03 2013 04:52 PM
Sa from USA

Oh yes!! Please bring it here! Someone just make a (paid!) English sub, please!

I'm DYING to watch this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Apr. 01 2013 08:17 PM
Lisa Hirsch

I hope Stephanie Argerich can find a US distributor for the film!

Jan. 28 2013 05:15 PM