Bach in the Subways Day Returns For Third Year
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Subway commuters, get ready to Bach 'n' roll.
For the third year in a row, the cellist Dale Henderson has organized Bach in the Subways Day as a way to celebrate Johann Sebastian Bach's birthday — and his music, of course. On Thursday, Bach's 328th birthday, musicians — from fellow cellists to accordion players and a 17-member choir —will perform Bach pieces on Subway platforms across Manhattan, as well as one stop in Brooklyn.
The event is conceived and organized by Henderson, who has been performing Bach in the subways of New York since 2010, in an attempt to "sow the seeds for future generations of classical music lovers."
Here's where you can get your Bach on (schedule subject to change):
• Layne McNish, cello: 8:30-9:15 a.m. at Rockefeller Center (B/D/F/M train)
• Timothy Law, violin: 9-11 am at 168th St. (A/C train)
• Katherine Liccardo, violin: 10:30 a.m.-noon at Union Square (near N/Q/R train)
• Terrence Thornhill, cello, and Raul Huaman, cajon: 11 a.m.-noon at Penn Station (A/C/E train entrance)
• Portia Zwicker, viola: 12:30-1 p.m. at 50th St. (A/C/E train upper level)
• Keith Bonner, flute: 1 p.m. at 86th St. (B/C train)
• Helvetica Trio: 1-2 p.m. at 50th St. (C/E train upstairs downtown platform)
• Michael Lunapiena, cello: 1-3 p.m. at Union Square (downtown N/Q/R train)
• Brian Thompson, viola: 1-3 pm at 57th St./7th Ave. (Q train)
• Mohit P. Mansukhani, baroque cello: 2 p.m. at 51st St. (6 downtown train)
• Jeremy Danneman, saxophone: 2-3 p.m. at Lorimer St. (L train, or Metropolitan Ave. G if the L is occupied)
• Peri Mauer, cello: 2-3 p.m. at 42nd St. (A/C/E uptown train)
• Lindsey Horner, bass: 2-4 p.m. at 181st St. (A train)
• Lorenzo Sandi, double bass: 3 p.m. at Union Square (in front of 14 St./4 Ave. southwest exit)
• Yijia Zhang, violin: 3 p.m. at 79th St. (1 train)
• Evan Shinners, keyboard: 4 p.m. at Chambers St. (J train)
• Mayumi Miyaoka and Robert Duncan, accordions: 4-6 p.m. at 14th St. (corridor between L and A trains at 14th St./8th Ave. or L platform)
• Untersingen: The Bach Edition
7 p.m. at Lexington Ave./53rd-51st
7:35 p.m. at Grand Central
8:10 p.m. at Union Square
8:45 p.m. at Times Square
9:20 p.m. at Columbus Circle
• Dale Henderson, cello: 9 p.m. at 96th St. (1/2/3 train)
• Kristin Olson, baroque oboe, and Anthony Albrecht, baroque cello: 10 p.m. at @ 57th St./7th Ave. (N/Q/R train)
View Bach in the Subways Day 2013 in a larger map
WATCH: 2012's Bach in the Subways Day.