Pick the Piece that Puts a Spring in Your Step

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring in Central Park. Spring in Central Park. (Asterio Tecson/flickr)

Spring has finally sprung — well, at least calendar-wise — and WQXR is playing music throughout the day to celebrate the longer days and warmer temperatures to come. We need your help to decide what spring-inspired piece we should play in our Showdown.

We gave you spring-inspired pieces to pick from and it was Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring that held on to its place at the top of your spring playlist. At noon today, we played the piece performed by Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre with conductor Valery Gergiev.

Paul Mogel

Dear Sirs, I have been listening to WQXR for over sixty years, and many fond memories go along with that. The programming was superb.
When The Times announced it's sale of the station, I was in fear that Classical radio would be lost.
The Public radio option seemed a viable solution. When the station was launched, a promise was made for more music with fewer interruptions.
I gladly made my small pledge and thought that all would be well. Over time, it seems the talk between music keeps increasing. I now often go back to my own music from exasperation.
I withdrew my pledge in my small protest.

WQXR is a great institution. I have said this before,but let's just concentrate on great music not talk radio.

Mar. 23 2016 08:50 AM
Paul L. Mogel from New York City

Dear Sirs, In response to those who say that you don't play enough Glass, I feel that a little is more than enough. How much droning repetition can anyone endure. Let's stick to the Classics.

Jan. 03 2016 03:12 PM
Paul Mogel from United States

Sirs, Your mandate as a public radio station is to be non biased in all matters. I do not understand how you can recognize any religion in your announcing dialogue.Play religious music if that is the program and don't celebrate any religion.

Apr. 04 2015 10:11 AM
Paul Mogel from NYC

It was an excellent decision to let listeners select music on fridays. May I suggest that you let us select all of the musical programming? This will guaranty that we will all hear all of the music that we wish to hear. This would be a superb policy decision.Thank you.

Jan. 15 2015 02:26 PM
Paul Mogel from New York City,N.Y.

Sirs, When WQXR went from private to public a promise was made to play more music with less interruptions. Over time, less and less time has been devoted to music than to talk, and talk and talk. Perhaps, WQXR should return to what it started out to be, and not trying to become an institution.

Nov. 12 2014 06:04 PM
Paul Mogel from New York,N.Y.

When listeners request their favorites at the year's end and for daily listening, how often are droning operatic pieces requested? To speak for myself, I like music written in the true classic form. Shouldn't your programming reflect what most of your listeners ask for? Thank you.

May. 05 2014 09:31 PM
Paul Mogel from NYC

Dear Sirs, Please do not take what I am about to say as anti-semitic? You are public radio now. Why is it that you celebrate Jewish holidays and not Ramadin,Kwanzaa,Shinto,Budhism,etc.? Please reply. Thank you.

Sep. 03 2013 05:44 PM
Susan from at work!

Really, the concept of playing Stravinsky is good, but beyond the opening of Sacre, it's not my teacup. just sayin'.
Makes you think tho'. would you rather be unchaste and be stoned to death, or be a virgin and forced to dance yourself to death? (Who says there were no choices for women way back when?)

Mar. 20 2013 12:23 PM
anne from NYC

Schumann. Partly because "enough Beethoven already!" I cannot go to a concert or turn on the radio without hearing something by Beethoven. While I love his works for violin, I'm not particularly interested in hearing them constantly. Isn't there a saying "Familiarity breeds contempt"?

Mar. 20 2013 10:41 AM
Kriss from Piscataway, NJ

All the pieces are good choices, but I'm going for the Beethoven this time - LOVE that violin!

Mar. 20 2013 09:15 AM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Going for the Stravinsky because it shows the more earth-shaking nature of spring, as opposed to the more cliched side often depicted in music. Also, it's still likely to shake a few people up, and QXR doesn't do that often enough

Mar. 20 2013 07:24 AM
Carol David from Sleepy Hollow

I love Stravinsky and especially Le sacre ... but let's save it for May 29th, which will be the 100th anniversary of the premier!
Bernie is right ... we need to hear more of his works on WQXR.

Mar. 20 2013 07:21 AM
Bernie from UWS

Stravinsky, please. It's by far the most substantial piece on the survey and we don't hear nearly enough Stravinsky on WQXR.

While you're at it, could we also hear Petruchka, Symphony of Psalms, Symphony in Three Movements and The Rake's Progress? He was the greatest composer of the 20th century and yet we scarcely ever hear these works.

Mar. 20 2013 07:11 AM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

"Spring" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons is the one that really puts a bit of spring in my step. Stravinsky's protracted indulgence into a violent fertility rite is more Dante'e Inferno than Peter Rabbit, and the Schumann feels as pleasant on the soul as a whalebone corset beneath a heavy hoop skirt(which I've worn as a historical reenactor, by the way).

Mar. 20 2013 05:38 AM
Cathy A.

Every year I play this at the exact minute spring begins

Mar. 20 2013 01:52 AM