Verdi's La Forza Del Destino

Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Metropolitan Opera dips into its archives to present a March 12, 1977 broadcast of La Forza Del Destino, Verdi's sprawling, moody drama. The legendary cast includes Leontyne Price and Placido Domingo as the ill-fated lovers.

Cast:

Leonora: Leontyne Price

Preziosilla: Rosalind Elias

Don Alvaro: Placido Domingo

Don Carlo: Cornell MacNeil

Fra Meutone: Renata Capecchi

Padre Guardiano: Martti Talvela

Conductor: James Levine

Rob D'Angelo

I've been a fan of this opera for many years and I don't think that it gets performed often enough. Having said that, I don't think that this particular performance was so special. Certainly listenable but I've heard better. Still, it was a welcome break from the Bach monotony. Whoever thought of playing non-stop Bach for days on end should be horsewhipped.

Mar. 24 2013 07:47 AM

There is a Met b'cast with Price & Corelli from "68, I think.

Mar. 23 2013 04:40 PM
Hauser from Hallandale,FL

I have a recording of Price & Domingo singing Forza. I haven't listened to it in a long time and have forgotten how magnificent her voice was.

Mar. 23 2013 04:32 PM
Nancy Dennis from Santa Fe, NM

I don't think I ever heard Price sing this at the Met - old or new. And I know I never heard Domingo sing it. However, I did hear it the night Leonard Warren died on stage. An unforgettable experience. We were there because Tebaldi was returning after a year's absence. Of course the audience was stunned. Eventually Mr Bing came out and told the audience to go home.
Apart from that indelible occasion, my favorite duet is the recording of Ponselle and Pinza singing "Le vergine dell'angeli." If you've never heard that, get it You have a treat in store for you.

Mar. 23 2013 03:56 PM
Ed from Carmel, IN

Too bad Franco Corelli had retired by this time. He was Alvaro for the ages

Mar. 23 2013 02:35 PM
David Gehring from Naples FLORIDA

A great recording. All in fine voice.
We appreciate WQXR bring us the Metropolitan Opera.

Mar. 23 2013 01:57 PM
Pearl from Old Bridge, NJ

Right now I am listening to La Forza Del Destino by Verdi from 1977. I never heard of this opera before. This is my first time listening to it. What an amazing opera so far. The performances by Miss Leontyne Price and Mr. Placido Domingo are wonderful.

Mar. 23 2013 01:46 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau county

CBC: Love this Spanish Massacre with gorgeous music. Who could ever forget Leontyne Price. As for Domingo, I like how his voice has gotten darker. Best wishes.
This opera is welcome because of the Bach overkill.

Mar. 23 2013 01:13 PM

CBC I taped this recording back in '77. Price, Mac Neil two legends, two greats, transcendent. I never cared for that tenor - I know that's heresy but it's only my opinion. Enjoy the performance.

Mar. 22 2013 05:34 PM