You Select the András Schiff Performance

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tonight at 7 pm, WQXR brings you a live video webcast of pianist András Schiff in The Greene Space. Today’s Showdown celebrates Schiff’s artistry with a choice of three works by composers whose music he is well known for interpreting.

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op.13 "Pathetique" led all morning and was victorious. We play it at noon.

Kathleen from Tarrytown, NY

Schumann, please! It's a lovely and tender piece.

Apr. 10 2013 11:56 AM
Louise from New Jersey

Bach, please. I'm still suffering withdrawal symptoms after Bach 360 ended.

Apr. 10 2013 11:52 AM
Geraldine from Brooklyn, New York

This is one of the hardest choice that I've ever made. I love them all. But I chose Keyboard Concerto No. 2 E major, because it keeps me up with a smile upon my face while I am doing my boring work.

Apr. 10 2013 11:38 AM
ed biehl from Dallas, TX

Can never get too much of Bach. Totally enjoyed the 10 days of Bach.

Apr. 10 2013 11:37 AM

Schumann, please. I haven't heard it in a long time. And you do play a lot of Beethoven.

Apr. 10 2013 11:36 AM
Andrew B. from Lower Merion, PA

Not fond of the options.

In place of Pathetique I would have liked one of the late sonatas, which Schiff released in 2009.

In place of the Bach concerto, I would have liked a Bach Partita, French Suite or a Mozart Concerto.

And a complete omission of Schubert is hard to understand--Schiff recorded the complete piano works on 9 CDs! One of the sonatas should have won out over Kinderzenen.

Hopefully, people who read this will go investigate.

Thank you Andras Schiff for giving us such great music and a wealth of fantastic recordings!

Apr. 10 2013 11:19 AM
Madleine from Demarest, N.J.

This piece brings back many childhood memories: our downstairs neighbors were a very musical family, all three children (my age) played an instrument (piano, violin, piccolo) and the parents were accomplished pianists. After coming home from work the father would play his Beethoven and Schumann repertoire. I made sure he wasn't home when I had to practice the pieces for my lesson; I was so intimidated !
Madeleine

Apr. 10 2013 10:50 AM
Judy-Lynne from New York City

I know the Beethoven sonata will be seen as an obvious and "vanilla" choice, but it is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard and I never tire of hearing it.

Apr. 10 2013 09:10 AM
Tim from Washington, DC

Haven't heard the Schumann in a while, let's play that one please.

Apr. 10 2013 09:10 AM