Remembering Conductor Colin Davis

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sir Colin Davis Sir Colin Davis (Chris Lee)

Our Showdown today pays tribute to English conductor Sir Colin Davis, who died on Sunday at the age of 85. Davis was the president of the London Symphony Orchestra and that orchestra’s longest-serving conductor. He was particularly well-known for his interpretations of Mozart, Berlioz and Sibelius, so we offered you a choice of performances by these composers.

Sibelius led all morning and at noon we played his Fifth Symphony.

Mark Todd from Oxford

Any of the three would be appropriate, or plenty of other choices. Colin Davis made two recordings of the Sibelius Symphonies with the LSO, the first for RCA and the second on LSO Live. Which one will you broadcast?

Apr. 19 2013 02:03 AM
Rima from NYC

Pease play symphonie fantastique >He was an astonishing conductor and Berlioz' piece must be a feast for a conductor..

Apr. 18 2013 10:49 PM

Come on people, let's go with the Sibelius Fifth! I don't know Sir Colin's London version but his earlier Boston Symphony Orchestra recording was the first I knew and it made me fall in love with the work. The symphony is possibly the greatest piece of music that many still don't realize is great.

Apr. 17 2013 11:42 AM

Berlioz, please. Maestro Davis had a special way with Berlioz's music.

Apr. 17 2013 11:42 AM

I voted for Sibelius. Of the three selections you provide, the Sibelius Fifth is my most favored piece. The other two are ok, but Sibelius rules.

Apr. 17 2013 11:35 AM
Christopher St Clair from Brooklyn, NY

I voted for Berlioz. Why? I wish I could say some profound meditation brought me to this conclusion, but the truth is that Maestro Davis had a superb feel for all three selections - and all three grace my CD collection. So I made a fearless decision: I flipped a coin.
And while we're at it, I should mention that the Maestro also had an affinity for a composer who doesn't immediately come to mind when we think of Davis: Dvorak. Davis's complete symphonies from the 90s are absolutely stunning. Perhaps you might play one of them soon?

Apr. 17 2013 11:28 AM
Julia de Bary from Verona

Maestro Davis have some special conection with Mozart...so I vote for it
Thank you!

Apr. 17 2013 11:01 AM
Tim Brown from Washington DC

Maestro Davis spoke of having an "affinity for Mozart" in the 1967 interview on this page (thanks for putting that up!) and so I vote for the Mozart.

Apr. 17 2013 09:32 AM
Bernie from UWS

Sibelius, please. Best ending ever for a symphony. Hey, maybe that's a future showdown for you guys. Unconventional endings. You could also do the Haydn Farewell Symphony, Shostakovich's 15th Symphony...

Apr. 17 2013 07:39 AM