Michael Giacchino Premieres his Music for 'Star Trek Into Darkness'

Saturday, May 04, 2013

Zachary Quinto as Spock and Chris Pine as James T. Kirk in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Zachary Quinto as Spock and Chris Pine as James T. Kirk in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' (Paramount)

Composer Michael Giacchino returns to Movies on the Radio to present the broadcast premiere of selections from his score to "Star Trek Into Darkness."

This highly anticipated film, which opens on May 17, continues the further big-screen adventures of the classic characters from the original "Star Trek" television series, and once again brings together the talents of Giacchino and director J. J. Abrams. The two have collaborated on several projects, including the television show "Lost" and the successful 2009 film reboot of "Star Trek."

Giacchino has created a colorful, dramatic score for "...Into Darkness," and he presents 22 minutes of it on this show. With Host/Producer David Garland, Giacchino discusses specifics about his score for the film, shares his thoughts about Star Trek's enduring appeal, reveals how a fan's Tweet inspired him to make a last minute revision to his score, and talks about his future projects and much more.

Note: If the above audio file does not play properly, please try this one instead. We are working to address this matter:

Petr Kocanda from Prague

Hmm... it always stops playing after 1 or 2 minutes. Downloadable version??

Jun. 04 2013 02:53 AM
Phil from Liverpool England

what makes me come to this site...Great Show!!!.....David asked good questions but gave Michael an opportunity to speak without butting in all the time

May. 14 2013 06:27 PM
Ann Carter from U.S.A.

I'm having difficulties listening to the broadcast. On both of my computers, the site will say there are 59 minutes of broadcast and then actually (visually) count down to 19 or 21 minutes. Is there any way to fix this?

May. 06 2013 10:21 PM
Wade from Australia

Fantastic! I really enjoyed the last time Mr.Giacchino was on the show and this time was just as good. I really think he's the best film composer working in the industry today. His 'Into Darkness'score sounds like a great continuation of his 2009 work which was masterful, standing shoulder to shoulder with the scores of Goldsmith and Horner. I hope a two CD set is eventually released like was done with the 2009 score. And thank you for your amazing show Mr. Garland, there is literally nothing like it anywhere!!!

May. 05 2013 09:52 PM
Sunfell from Arkansas

Great interview! I, too would like a downloadable version of the interview portion, since I'll be getting the commercial soundtrack next week (I think!). I was disappointed that the commercial disk only clocks in at 44 minutes- I want more!

May. 05 2013 12:19 PM
Harry

Why isn't ode to harrison on the soundtrack release?? >:(

May. 05 2013 12:44 AM
David Avallone from Los Angeles

I would certainly like to be able to download this and listen to it from the beginning.

May. 04 2013 09:23 PM
David Garland

@ Jose from Spain and David from Leeds, because the show includes commercial recordings, we can't provide a downloadable podcast. But immediately following the broadcast, the full show will be archived on this page (a player will appear below the headline). That archive will be available for listening anytime during the next few weeks.

If there's enough interest, I could probably make the interview portions of this show available for download. Let me know here in the comments.

May. 04 2013 12:23 PM
jose from spain

Any podcast to download, please ???

May. 04 2013 11:00 AM
Antonio La Camera from Rome

From what you can hear from the first clip and the execution of the theme of Harrison during a recent concert in Lucerne, feels like the year of self-imposed break did well to Giacchino, who has had all the time necessary to develop the score for "Star Trek Into Dakness" in the best way. The new compositional maturity that had recognizing in several passages of "John Carter" seems here to have been developed with fullness and can not wait to listen to previews that will be transmitted to understand if my observations and my hopes will prove to be well founded.

May. 03 2013 06:38 PM
David from Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Can you do a downloadable pod cast for people in England of this show, please?

May. 03 2013 02:09 PM