Verdi's I due Foscari

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Plácido Domingo and James Conlon join forces in a new Los Angeles Opera production of this Verdi rarity. The languid canals and boisterous festivals of 15th-century Venice conceal a deadly web of secret plots and vindictive rivalries. Caught up in forces beyond their control, a father and son struggle to reclaim honor in a city that knows no mercy.

Plácido Domingo stars as a head of state, desperate to protect his son -- and himself -- from the ruthless enemies that surround them.

This was a co-production with Palau de la Música (Valencia), Theater an der Wien (Vienna) and Royal Opera House, Covent Garden (London).

CAST:

Servant of the Doge Hunter Phillips

CONDUCTOR: James Conlon
STAGE DIRECTOR:  Thaddeus Strassberger
LA OPERA ORCHESTRA & CHORUS
ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR
  & CHORUS MASTER: Grant Gershon

kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NJ

Concetta, our cat Celia is buried in the garden at the front of our home in Lake hiawatha with a bird seed feeder on top of her grave. The birds, squirrels, a rabbit and field mice somehow delight in the bird seed. I never would have thought that any but birds would be munching on bird seed. In life, one open to learning, will always be amazed at what exists. At Juilliard one of my composition teachers Alberto Bimboni, who taught composing to Gian carlo Menotti, told me "learn from the masters so you can be at your best in your very own idiomatic style." One can explore beyond the boxed in accepted tradition and a standard textbook of conventional composition rules. You're a charmed one Concetta. Sicuro, tante belle cose.

Jul. 06 2013 08:56 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

So this is where all the good comments are!

Jul. 06 2013 06:58 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Of course you love cats Mr. Lane. When my beloved Isis died, we buried her near our rose bushes. Never forgot her.
Tante belle cose

Jul. 06 2013 06:01 PM

Concetta, i love cats too. My cat Celia helped me as a collaborating "artist" when I sang for a Kindness Ranch concert by staying cradled in my arms as I contributed my services by singing to help gain funds to restore to better health animals retrieved from testing labs. Sadly she passed about a year ago. SALUTI e AUGURI, CONCETTA !!!

Jul. 06 2013 04:46 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Thank you for your kind comments Mr. Lane. Glad you like my modesty. Yes, I am old but full of vinegar. I am not a sweet old lady and always had a dread of becoming one. Forgot to mention that I love cats. Io vado piano.
saluti e auguri

Jul. 06 2013 04:04 PM

There has been a complaint by non-performers that performers should not attempt to promote themselves but have mercenary agents or publicists to do that. Unfortunately many performers who traverse their career opportunities with self-deprecating attitudes that minimize their potentials, assuming that the world will recognize their talent and reciprocate in financial terms. Most creative artists are reticent to evangelize for potential fans. If one has indisputable talent as JOE FRAZIER unquestionably did, FLAUNT IT !!! We all have detractors. I LIKE CONCETTA. SHE IS ALL SHE SAYS IS, AND ALWAYS BELIEVABLE, YOUNG AT HEART EVEN AT HER 70s. VIVA CONCETTA. VA PIANO, VA SANO, VA LONTANO.

Jul. 06 2013 03:39 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Not familiar with this opera and find it does have its moments. Glad I am listening.
I am an American Italian of Neapolitan and Sicilian Heritage. Raconteur, bon vivant, master chef, opera expert, Roman history expert, fluent in English, Italian and Neapolitan,writer and extremely Modest. Also like to foment kerfuffels.

Jul. 06 2013 03:22 PM
The Marschallin from Manhattan, New York

More horn blowing from the pompous a...Will he ever have enough? Does anybody care?

Jul. 06 2013 03:17 PM
The Marschallin from Manhattan, New York

I am very tired of Kenneth Bennett Lane blowing his own horn! This is not an adverising board. Will someone tell him to tone it down? Merci!

Jul. 06 2013 01:42 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

QXR needed some correcting. Sometimes they are so full of themselves. I was really annoyed at them for presenting nothing but Bach for 10 days. They never broadcast the negative comments but only the ones that were gushing with praise. Put a cap on it. QXR showed how elitist they are. Yeah, I do contribute. I am not a freeloader.

Jul. 06 2013 12:39 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Thank you Anna Maria and Sergio. QXR needed that.

Jul. 06 2013 11:55 AM
Annamaria and Sergio Stefani from New York City, Manhattantn

There was a certain charm when Milton Cross pronounced Italian with his unmistakable accent.
BUT in this day and age e think the least our announcers can do is to pronounce Italian correctly even if they do not speak the language. FOSCARI has the accent on the first syllable. Grazie, Annamaria and Sergio Stefani.

Jul. 06 2013 11:15 AM