Pick The Strauss Tone Poem You Prefer

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

This week's Showdown celebrates the expressive, colorful and massive sound world of Richard Strauss's tone poems.

On this summer day, we asked if you would you rather lose yourself in Strauss' powerful Also Sprach Zarathustra, with its famous "Sunrise" opening, or enjoy the playful and poignant episodes of Don Quixote, or get swept away by the sweeping gestures and orchestral virtuosity of Don Juan?

You chose — don, don, DON — Also Sprach Zarathustra and we played it today at noon.

Constantine from New York

It happened again! I'm sure I only clicked once. Please delete one of them (and however many of these as show up). Thanks!

Jul. 03 2013 04:23 PM
Constantine from New York

Jul. 03 2013 04:23 PM
Constantine from New York

For some reason, I am largely indifferent to Strauss. (There are exceptions and I've had changes of heart before.) My vote would go to the Alpine Symphony. Among the choices here, I'd go with Don Quixote.

Jul. 03 2013 04:11 PM
Constantine from New York

Jul. 03 2013 04:11 PM
peter from 35660

There's an opening for a discussion of representative recordings of Strauss Tone Poems. The contest is over but when I get to my CD drive I will consider Blomstedt and SFO as my favorites.

Jul. 03 2013 12:40 PM
peter from 35660

The big three are above. I enjoy Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks and Ein Heldenleben, though Death and Transiguration is the most philosophically representative of academic phenomenology. For me that's the core piece of Strauss's Romanticism, very Nietzschean.

Jul. 03 2013 12:17 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Could not vote for all three. Settled on Don Juan.

Jul. 03 2013 10:47 AM
Pat G from Franklin Square

Don Quixote for me too!
(Thanks for leaving ein heldenleben out of the selection -- it's getting SO overworked latelt.)

Jul. 03 2013 10:10 AM
Tim from Washington, DC

These are all wonderful, and make for a great contest on a hot summer's day. I vote for Don Quixote for the amazing cello part, and for the windmills which, er, blow me away.

Jul. 03 2013 08:23 AM
Bernie from UWS

I'm going with Also Sprach. Not because of the Hollywood opening but because of the many sections that come after it where Strauss really showed his compositional skill. It's a thicker work than the other two, and not played nearly enough on WQXR.

BTW, glad you chose Karajan. I'm not usually a fan of his (his sound was too polished) but this piece is right up his alley.

Jul. 03 2013 06:02 AM