The Lustrous Sound of Ernest Gold

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Ernest Gold was born on July 13, 1921, in Vienna, Austria. He moved to the U.S. with his family in 1938, and composed nearly 100 film and television scores between 1945 and his death in 1999. His music seems to be an elegant combination of Hollywood and Vienna – full of drama, often in waltz rhythm.

Probably Gold's best known work is his Academy Award winning score for "Exodus," and David Garland presents highlights from that score, as well as some of Gold's music for films such as the zany comedy "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," the gentle end-of-the-world story "On the Beach," and the jazzy psychological drama "Pressure Point."

Jenifer from Redondo Beach, California

Dear David Garland,
I just found out about your wonderful show about Ernest Gold and was given a link here.

Alas, there is not the option to hear your piece. I cannot figure out the links for the feeds (just get a lot of text in my browser window).

Where can I go to hear the show?

Thanks...
Jenifer

Oct. 16 2013 07:03 PM
MARNI NIXON from NYC

I ALSO WANT TO MENTION THAT ERNEST GOLD HAD A MAGNIFICENT OUTPUT OF CLASSICAL MUSIC. HIS SONG CYCLE, THAT HE WROTE FOR ME, "SONGS OF LOVE AND PARTING", IS A PART OF THE MANY GREAT ARTSONG MUSIC HE WROTE..WE WERE MARRIED FOR 19 YEARS AND HIS MUSIC (AND OUR CHILDREN, OF COURSE,MARTHA, MELANI,AND ANDREW, OF COURSE), CHANGED MY (OUR)LIVES INMANY WAYS! AND THANKS FOR YOUR PROGRAM.

Sep. 10 2013 12:43 AM
Martha Carr

Hi David, Just a correction. The FInal Frontier theme that went on the Mars Rover was sung by Ernest Gold's son, Andrew Gold (my brother) who was also a prolific musician. This was the theme from the TV show Mad About You. It was actually composed by Paul Reiser, not Andrew or Ernest! Andrew wrote the theme for The Golden Girls (Thank You for Being a Friend). See Andrewgold.com

Sep. 04 2013 06:20 PM
Martha Carr from Los Angeles

I am Ernest's daughter, Martha Carr. Thank you for sharing his music! I wanted to add to the small labels that some of his music can be found at Monstrous Movie Music http://www.mmmrecordings.com

Sep. 04 2013 05:37 PM
Ariel Witbeck from Walnut Creek California

Thank you for running the show on Ernest Gold's music and life. He was my brother-on-law. Well done!

Sep. 04 2013 04:00 AM
David Garland

@Paul Pettigrew, sorry about the delay in getting this show archived! I'm glad you had a chance to listen.

@John Kaufman, thanks so much for pointing out the great creative partnership of Ernest Gold and Stanley Kramer, which I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't perceived! You sure are right that their output was particularly wide-ranging. That's probably why I didn't think to look for the creative team common to all those films!

Jul. 28 2013 11:37 AM
David Garland

@Tony Ray, your very reasonable question about how to acquire some of these recordings makes me aware that the soundtrack collecting field is unique, and requires some explanation. There certainly are soundtracks being released, mostly for current films, that are available from the big resources such as Amazon and iTunes. But soundtracks are one of the few musical fields still oriented to selling CDs rather than downloads, and the small boutique labels that are so active in issuing and reissuing older scores are generally not available through Amazon and iTunes.

These boutique labels such as Intrada, Kritzerland, Tadlow Music, Film Score Monthly, and La-La Land (all of which are represented in these Ernest Gold selections) are generally putting out limited-edition CDs (usually marvelously packaged with lots of images and info). Several of these labels sell directly to customers through their websites, and there are also a few online distributors such as http://www.screenarchives.com and http://www.buysoundtrax.com where you can find these releases.

It seems that part of the deal these small labels make with the big studios who own the rights to the music necessitates the limited editions, and also precludes digital distribution. Some classic soundtracks are available from iTunes, but in my experience many have poor sound quality, have been transferred at the wrong speed, or have other bootleg-like problems.

Take a look at what some of these small distributors and labels offer, and you'll see a lot of great stuff that you won't see on Amazon.

Jul. 28 2013 11:26 AM
John Kaufman from Allston, MA

I enjoyed your show on the music of Ernest Gold. Not sure if you mentioned his name but director Stanley Kramer had a long working relationship with Gold. It was Kramer who directed Not as a Stranger (1955), The Pride and the Passion (1957), The Defiant Ones (1958), On the Beach (1959), Inherit the Wind (1960), Judgment at Nuremberg (1961),Pressure Point (1962), A Child is Waiting (1963), It's A Mad...World (1963), Ship of Fools (1965) The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969) and The Runner Stumbles (1979; all of which were scored by Gold. This would have to be regarded as one of the most diverse and wide ranging collaborations of a director and composer in post-war Hollywood.

Jul. 20 2013 10:16 PM
Paul Pettigrew from Perth, Western Australia

Many thanks! "On the Beach" was one of the first LPs in my collection as a teenager!! Great to hear what I still think should be our National Anthem —dressed appropriately in lustrous orchestral garb!!!
I rely on your archive as the 12 hour time difference makes it easier to listen…

Jul. 20 2013 04:12 AM
Paul Pettigrew from Perth, Western Australia

Is this another one of those broadcasts with no archived sound?

Jul. 14 2013 12:02 PM
Susan

Exodus suite:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world suite:

Jul. 13 2013 09:45 PM
KM from NYC

I am loving this program! Great music.

Jul. 13 2013 09:28 PM
Tony Ray from NYC

Is there any way to buy some of the Ernest Gold music we're hearing on tonight's program? I went to Amazon and there wasn't a lot... Beautiful music.

Jul. 13 2013 09:19 PM