Pick the Piece to Add to Your Summer Travel Playlist

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

road trip (Bruce Berrien/flickr)

Please Note: Today's Showdown was cancelled due to problems with our survey tool. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to resuming the Showdown next week.

It's summer and for so many that means its the season to travel. This week's Showdown features three works inspired by the composers' travels in the United States. Antonín Dvořák was intrigued by folk music he heard during his travels while living and working in America in the 1890s. Ferde Grofe drove across Arizona in 1916, to watch the sun rise over the Grand Canyon. And George Gershwin went down to Folley Beach, S.C., in 1934, to get a sense of the setting for "Porgy and Bess" as he began work on the score.

Tell us which of the following works by these three composers you’d like to hear and we'll play the winner today at noon.

For reference:

Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World":

Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite:

Gershwin: "Catfish Row," Suite from "Porgy and Bess":

STEVENS

I VOTE FOR DVORAK. THE OTHER TWO COMPOSERS WERE NATIVE AMERICANS BUT DVORAK CAME TO OUR YOUNG COUNTRY AND APPRECIATED OUR DEVELOPING CULTURAL PERSONNA.

Aug. 01 2013 09:53 AM
Nancy

If comments count, another vote for the Dvorak, please.

Jul. 31 2013 11:42 AM

I voted for Grofe not only because of this piece, but also to encourage WQXR to play some of his other suites. He wrote them in homage to the Hudson River, Niagara Falls, the Mississippi River and other places but we don't hear them performed that often, well, at least other than the Grand Canyon Suite. I like the other works as well so I'll be content no matter which gets selected.

Jul. 31 2013 11:27 AM
Silvianna Goldsmith from NYC

I vote for the Dvorak! Always find the Grofe annoying, too literal, and Gershwin OK, but lesser.

Jul. 31 2013 11:14 AM
Zanne

Same here! Survey keeps saying you already voted but if I COULD have voted, I'd vote for Grofe as it reminds me of my beautiful Grand Canyon trip - twice!

Jul. 31 2013 11:03 AM
Sandy from Indianapolis

I vote for the Gershwin too. I have become more and more enthralled with his music; both his Great American Songbook contributions and his move into classical composition. Taken so young; created so much beauty.

Jul. 31 2013 11:01 AM
connie from NYC

Showdown is not evident on home page and says same thing as previous listeners. I would have voted for Dvorak. Difficulties!

Jul. 31 2013 11:00 AM
Dorothea

I am having the same issue as Susan. All I keep getting is that I've "already entered this survey" but I never voted! Wish I could.

Jul. 31 2013 10:48 AM
Wally from manhattan

Nice plug, KB Lane

Jul. 31 2013 10:30 AM
wally from manhattan

I vote for Gershwin

Jul. 31 2013 10:25 AM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard Wagner Music Dram Institute, Boonton, NJ

I vote for America's GEORGE GERSHWIN who wrote , so far, the most successful Amrerican story opera, PORGY AND BESS !

Jul. 31 2013 10:14 AM
Beatriz from Westchester

I also hope that voting via comments counts, my vote is for Gershwin, please.

Jul. 31 2013 10:07 AM
Christopher from NYC

Please count my vote for Dvorak

Jul. 31 2013 10:06 AM
HYH from work in Purchase

Hopefully voting via comments will count? I vote for Gershwin, please.

Jul. 31 2013 09:38 AM
HYH from work in Purchase

Hopefully voting via comments will count? I vote for Gershwin, please.

Jul. 31 2013 09:38 AM
lisanti from NJ

I'm glad that I saw the comment about technical difficulties - I thought my computer had voted on its own.

Jul. 31 2013 09:07 AM
Judith Galletti from NJ

Ditto for me, Susan

Jul. 31 2013 09:02 AM
WQXR

Folks: We're working through a technical issue with the survey and it should be resolved very shortly. Our apologies if you're not able to vote currently. We'll let you know as soon as it's fixed.

Jul. 31 2013 08:56 AM
susan o'meara

It says "You've already participated in this survey". But I haven't. How do I vote for the Gershwin?

Jul. 31 2013 08:32 AM