Lucerne Festival Orchestra Plays Schubert & Bruckner

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Claudio Abbado leads the Lucerne Festival Orchestra Claudio Abbado leads the Lucerne Festival Orchestra (Monika Rittershaus)

Update: This broadcast, recorded on Aug. 23, 2013, features Claudio Abbado's final concert program. Abbado died on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014, at the age of 80.

The Lucerne Festival Orchestra, an ensemble that assembles for three weeks every summer at the Lucerne Festival, is featured in this program from the 2013 festival. Conductor Claudio Abbado leads the orchestra in two pieces that were never completed in their day.

Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony, which was left incomplete after the second movement, is followed by Bruckner’s Ninth, his unfinished swan song, Jeff Spurgeon hosts the broadcast.

Program Details (recorded Aug. 23):

Lucerne Festival Orchestra
Claudio Abbado, conductor

Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
Symphony No. 7 in B minor, D. 759 Unfinished

Anton Bruckner (1824-1896)
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, WAB 109

John Purchase from Portsmouth, England

Thank you for posting the concert on the internet. I have been listening to the Bruckner 9th symphony. The performance was spell-binding. This is music of the highest quality, played superbly by the orchestra under the magical baton of Claudio Abbado, sadly no longer with us here. I had the pleasure of listening to some of his Mahler cycle concerts in the 1980s at the RFH in London. This music transports me to a different world. The clarity of the recording is very good indeed, well to my ears anyway.

Jul. 26 2014 10:20 AM
Alain PREVOST from Paris-FRANCE

Hello,
Can you tell me if it is possible to find this concert 23 august 2013 Bruckner's symphoy n° 9 on DVD?
I have a lot of DVD with Claudio Abbdo in Lucerne and it seems that this concert is on dvd.
Thank you for your answer.
Alain

Jun. 27 2014 06:33 AM
Fafner

Unfortunately there won't be any DVD/BluRay of this concert. While all 3 evenings were recorded for a planned CD release (I was there on all 3), there were no cameras in the hall. Only the first program (Brahms/Schönberg/Beethoven) was filmed for a possible upcoming video release.

Feb. 04 2014 02:30 PM

CLAUDIO ABBADO and BRUNO WALTER, both geniuses and warm-hearted individuals with humanistic concerns so rare in today's anger-driven policies are to be celebrated for what they accomplished and the many lives they touched and made masterworks of music touch the souls of those whom would listen. Icons like them should be role models and their recorded performances be made more available to the yet uninitiated.

Jan. 26 2014 01:25 PM
Silversalty from Brooklyn

04:20 Schubert piece begins
32:55 Schubert piece ends
46:30 Bruckner piece begins
110:25 Bruckner piece ends

Between the two live pieces "Q" includes some excerpts of other pieces. I can't find any place where the live pieces are interrupted.

With a little computer skills you can get the mp3 file, extract the two pieces, up the volume (it's too low and doesn't use the full range possible) and enjoy them at your leisure.

Jan. 23 2014 05:26 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Thank you for rebroadcasting this concert, although I did not appreciate you inserting your promos in the middle of the first movement of the Bruckner 9th Symphony. Don't we get enough of them during the day?

Jan. 21 2014 10:59 PM
L.J. lubin from Ft. Lee, NJ

Please tell me I only imagined that you profaned this broadcast and the maestro's memory by taking a station break between the movements of the Bruckner 9th! You all must be terribly embarrassed.

Jan. 21 2014 10:18 PM
Rama Rajagopal Ms

when is the DVD expected?

Dec. 11 2013 04:34 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

There are no words to describe the sublime beauty of Bruckner's music. Now that I have caught my breath after that extraordinary performance, I thank WQXR for broadcasting this concert!

Sep. 22 2013 09:03 PM