Your Pick: Back to School Music

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

(Hiten Samtani)

Children in New York City have started going back to school this week and by next Monday everyone should be back in class. Help us choose a little something for the kids today. Vote for your favorite child-inspired work and we'll play the winner today at noon:

You Chose: Benjamin Britten: The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

They're ALL great selections, but please do excuse me for saying that as a kid learning about classical music, I thought Peter and the Wolf and the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra were stuffy, "old," and not at all interesting! Beethoven's symphonies and the 1812 Overture: THEY were what classical music was all about. Yes, methinks my views have changed a bit since then ... :D (Whispers: I voted for the Schumann, by the way ... )

Sep. 04 2013 12:05 PM
James Erbe from Davenport, FL

I would second Martin Mendelson's comment. That was my first LP (a birthday present at age 10 in 1957, as I recall), and on the flip side was -- guess what? -- "Young Person's Guide to the Orchectra"! Truly a wonderful way to learn about music.

Sep. 04 2013 11:51 AM
Cathy from California

I'd rather have kids listen to the Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra because they can learn something as well as hear great music. Not so much with Peter and the Wolf, great music but with an outdated story which gives kids a really inappropriate message about wolves...but on the flip side could lead to a learning moment, and should if kids are listening to that story.

Sep. 04 2013 11:19 AM
Christine Corso from Cedar Grove, NJ

Would love to see Lemony Snicket & Nathaniel Stookey's "The Composer Is Dead" join this group--perhaps next time around. As an updated "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra," it's delightfully macabre and great fun. I especially love how Stookey is able to get so many musical styles expressed in single notes and phrases as composers are listed at the end of the piece.

Sep. 04 2013 09:46 AM
Martin Mendelson from Geneva, CH

Three great choices, but the one I'd vote for isn't here: Peter and the Wolf narrated by Basil Rathbone, with Ormandy and the Philadelphia providing the music. For me it's the benchmark recording, and can be gotten in a nicely restored version.

Sep. 04 2013 08:18 AM
Rowland C Rodgers from Center Valley, PA

I played Britten many times in band class while attending junior high school. It just seemed to be the right choice for me.

Sep. 04 2013 06:37 AM