Verdi's Luisa Miller

Saturday, September 07, 2013

This week's broadcast from San Francisco Opera comes from the archives, a 1974 production of Luisa Miller, starring Luciano Pavarotti and Katia Ricciarelli as Rodolfo and Luisa, respectively.

Based on Friedrich Schiller's 1784 play "Kabale und Liebe" ("Intrigue and Love"), Luisa Miller is the story of a Tyrolean village girl who falls in love with Rodolfo, the son of the local count. Her love is requited, and the count has loftier ambitions for his son; he wishes him to marry the well-connected Duchess Federica. Meanwhile, his vile henchman, Wurm, has more nefarious designs of his own on poor Luisa.

This was Pavarotti's debut performance in the role.

Cast:

Laura: Gwendolyn Jones
Miller: Louis Quilico
Luisa: Katia Ricciarelli
Rodolfo: Luciano Pavarotti
Wurm: Dieter Weller
Count Walter: Giorgio Tozzi
Federica: Huguette Tourangeau
A Peasant: Joseph Frank

CONDUCTOR:  Jesus Lopez-Cabos
DIRECTOR:   Beppe de Tomasi
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA ORCHESTRA & CHORUS
CHORUS DIRECTOR: Byron Dean Ryan

katherine gross

Where may I find this recording? Amazon has no record of it in the archives. Thank you kindly. I have been a devoted listener of wqxr for 50 years and the opera is magic for me. I am also a supporter of the station and wish I could do more.

Sep. 07 2013 05:14 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard W3agner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NJ

My point of view in my earlier comments is derived from my background as a tenore di forza, an opera composer, and as the director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton, New Jersey where voice technique and all the opera roles of Wagner and all the actor roles of Shakespeare are taught. www.WagnerOpera.com

Sep. 07 2013 04:43 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NY

PAVAROTTI found his early niche with this Rodolfo and the La Boheme Rodolfo. His tmbre and temperament appropriately synch with those personages. Even the works of any young tyro, but major, composers, sculptors and fine arts oil painting geniuses reveal their special talents even when the work in toto is unworthy of widespread presentations. LUISA MILLER has many prize moments and the tenor's role is particularly fortunate for his aria which most tenors delight in singing.

Sep. 07 2013 04:35 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Sorry you took offense Mr. Brown. Yes Peppino at his, not so hot, was better than some composers at their best. I was hoping to start a kerfufel as those can be fun. I refer to Verdi as Peppino because I love him so and if there is an afterlife, hope to meet him and tell him how much joy his music has given me.

Sep. 07 2013 03:13 PM
A Hogbin from Cambridge, UK

In fact, Luisa Miller for me is one of Verdi's most beautiful early period operas. I heard it early in my opera-going career at Covent Garden with Ricciarelli, Carreras and Nucci in 1980. It was one of the Italian sopranos best roles I think, along with the Bellini Giulietta, despite an horrendous tuning disaster in the unaccompanied quartet in the second act. The soloists had dropped a full quarter tone!!! Gasps in the theatre! Wonderful to hear the young (ish) Pavarotti. Many thanks.

Sep. 07 2013 02:12 PM
Jeff from Montclair, NJ

Photo caption looks incorrect; that's not Pavarotti, it's Quilico!

Sep. 07 2013 02:00 PM
Jonathan Brown from Lawrence,New York

Actually this opera is one or two operas before Rigoletto and totally different in style than Nabucco, Ernani, etc. I think it is an insult to call his early opera dogs.At his worst he was better than a lot of other opera composers at their best.You should not expect a composer to do his best work right off the bat.

Sep. 07 2013 01:24 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Folks, don't get angry at my snarky remarks but this opera is one of Verdi's early dogs along with I Lombardi, Steffelio. He wrote Macbeth early in his career and had the good sense to rewrite it, I think, two or three times, as he matured. This happened after a good friend remarked "Peppino, questo Macbeth e un bow-wow." Macbeth is the opera whereby Verdi became Verdi. A beautiful jewel in his crown.

Sep. 07 2013 09:33 AM