New York MusiCity

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, New York is pretty great. We've all heard the spiel a million times: bustle, energy,  culture, sleep deprivation.... As well-worn as this notion may be, it's also true! Eight million individuals living so close to one another spawn cultural evolution with unbeatable depth and speed. But, you know, this is all super biased. I love this city hard...

New York's Classical Music scene is varied, rich, and innovative. This is the city that incubated Minimalism, Americana, Chance Music, Serialism, Indie Classical, and Neo-Romanticism, to name a few over-simplified genre descriptors.

The city has always played host to top-notch composers, performers, and ensembles, and the city itself has served as inspiration for composers for as long as its been around. The past 40 years alone have inspired music from Einstein on the Beach to Meredith Monk, to Carl Schimmel's percussion music inspired by marshmallow peeps!

Listen all this week to music inspired by this great city. Check out all week New York MusiCity on Q2, featuring the new, the old, the well-known and the rare. Also tune in over the next few days as we unveil our New York Minute block: an hour-long uninterrupted stretch of music for, by, and of the people of this fair city!

-Nadia Sirota, Overnight Music host-

Richard Mitnick from Highland Park, NJ

So, Nadia is giving us some very good music and comments on her two spots on Q2.

This is terrific.

Jan. 10 2010 12:51 PM

In order to facilitate constructive conversations surrounding the intended topic of the blog, we encourage users to email Listener Services (listenerservices@wqxr.org) or post on the Listener Services blog (http://blogs.wnyc.org/listenerservices/2009/10/16/listener-services-forum-wqxr/) with more general concerns about the station.

Dec. 29 2009 02:07 PM
Martin Gottfried from New York City

Having listened to all-night classical music in New York for fifty years, from Fleetwood to Nimet, I can confidently consider Steve Sullivan equal if not superior to all others. Knowledgeable and informative, though never garrulous or overbearing, he informs, enlightens and surprises. Serously missed when absent, he should be honored nightly.

Dec. 29 2009 06:17 AM
Sean Mahoney from New York City

take a look:

Nov. 10 2009 11:42 PM

Emil,

The terms of our license no longer allow us to pre-publish playlists. For more about this, see the comments on this page: http://www.wqxr.org/programs/david-garland/blogs/david-garland/2009/oct/23/passionate/

Nov. 09 2009 04:24 PM
Emil Greenberg from New Hyde Park . NY

I miss the whole day playlists.Please print the entire day .It was so helpful. Thank you!

Nov. 09 2009 03:58 PM
Wayne from Burlington Vermont

I've listened to QXR in high school growing up on Long Island. I moved to Vermont many years ago, surviving on Canadian and public radio. On trips back to center of the universe listening to the station has brought me so much joy... Driving home north on the thruway there was a spot near Harriman where the music fades in a crackle. Blog entries lead me to expect the signal is weaker now that's the frequency has changed. That's too bad, but there's still the internet. Thanks QXR.

Oct. 28 2009 02:08 PM
Frank Feldman

Nadia,
Please challenge us with wonderfully obscure historical recordings, lesser known works of great composers, works of also-rans, etc., etc. Not the latest stoned out piece of downtown nonsense. Be kind to your former WQXR listeners. And please bolt the doors if Helga Davis threatens to enter the building.

Oct. 17 2009 06:31 PM
Harold J. O'Brien

for 56 years I joyfully listened to qxr without a problem with the reception out here on Long Island even at the east end. Often times I went to New Hope, Pa and was able to get rection there on the car radio. Now if I should dare drive into Suffolk County it becomes unlistenable. At home in Farmingdale I am so lucky--I get constant static, but I am not charged for it because after all it is now a listener sponsored, commercial free station. And with all the unabashed plugs for contributions how much are we really removed from "Commercials"? This venture has effective cut thousands of listeners off from classical music on radio. As to the website---why bother with program schedules when you don't post schedules for future dates. Is it too much to expect to see what is being broadcast on saturday's opera show on the 17th instead of still getting the 10th Meistersinger post? Thus far this has been a very bad move and one certainly not well thought out for the faithful listeners of qxr or nyc. And should not the interests of listeners been of primary concern for those who concocted this venture? For without us the listeners you don't have viable stations. My hope is that management gets someone in there who can solve some of these serious problems and we all can return to good clear signals and good music on nyc and qxr

Oct. 16 2009 12:07 AM
marianne from W Hgts

We've been encouraged to listen to WQXR on our computers. I used a website that calculates the cost of operating various devices in the New York City area. Remember that we've all been asked to lower our energy use.

Here's the results for 24 hours of use per mo/yr

Clock/radio 3KWh/mo $0.54 mo $6.48 yr

computer w/17"CRT 149KWh/mo $27.00 mo $324 yr

computer w/17"LCD 112KWh/mo $20.00 mo $240 yr

laptop 33KWh/mo $5.94 mo $71 yr

Seems like expensive, irresponsible advice.

Oct. 15 2009 01:53 PM
ileen gusoff from port washinton

my reception is pretty good except I get intermitant interruptions with a voice in background , in areas further east of here Laurel Hollow they do not get reception

Oct. 14 2009 05:54 PM
Richard Mitnick from Highland Park, NJ

How about an RSS feed just for the comments, so we do not need to keep scrolling through the old ones.

And, I saved Terrance and Q2 in Google Reader and guess what, they come up "No Name". Not Good.

>>RSM

Oct. 14 2009 05:40 PM
John Jaques from 10010

I am unable to Sign Up therefore I cannot log in.

Why?

Oct. 13 2009 10:31 PM
Katherine Sacksteder from United States

Addendum to previous post:
You are making the station ID announcements way too often, after practically every peice. It is extremely annoying. PLEASE, no more often than every half hour! It is totally unnecessary anyway; if we didn’t know what station it was we wouldn’t be streaming it.

Oct. 13 2009 09:24 PM
Katherine Sacksteder

I love Q2 - all the weird music you play, and the fact that it is played back-to-back, with no talk at all except the occasional brief station announcement. Keep it up, don't change anything! It has been so helpful to me and has become an indispensable part of my life.

Oct. 13 2009 03:14 PM
jonathan kaplan from Valley Stream NY

Hi Nadia,

Love your show and your great taste in music. Thanks to you, Helga, David and Terrance I have broadened my horizons musically and am enjoying so much new music! Keep up the great work!

Oct. 12 2009 10:55 PM
grace speare-shapiro from Hartsdale, NY

Seven radios in my home and only one, a Bose, has the strength to bring in WQXR. How dreadful is that? For me it is calamitous! After six decades of loyal listening, the changeover has given me a Royal Headache.
What a shame it should have come to that.

Weeping grace

Oct. 12 2009 02:43 PM
Sanyi from Brooklyn, NY

I think it's time for me to give some electronics lessons, how to build a dipole antenna. Such antennas can be build by pieces of wire, or more fancy ones on the roof , made of some copper or aluminum tubing.
105.9 frequency has a wave length of 2.83 meters. A dipole antenna has 2 wires, one connected to the shield of the coax, the other connected to the center wire. Each has the size, half of the wave length, meaning 1.42 m (in inches, 55.9 inches). Usually they are stringed out horizontally, and of course the coaxial cable runs down "from the center" making a T sign….. I found that in my room it worked better
if I stringed it out vertically, meaning the T is rotated 90 degrees. That's about it. Usually the radios have
in the back an "antenna input" to which the coax is connected (it's called a 75 Ohm input), the braid or the shield is connected to the connector marked as ground (sort of triangle with vertices downward), and the center wire of the coax, is connected to the other input which is unmarked.

Coax means coaxial cable, it's used in TV antennas, cable TV, cable high speed internet connections, etc.
The only qualifications they have besides the price is, that they should be, as it's called, 75 Ohm coaxial cable. They look round, they have a braid under the outside insulation, and an internal center wire.
The coaxial cable connects the antenna you just build, to the receiver, it's length is irrelevant, they have very little losses no matter how long the cable is.

If you build a room antenna, you don't even need any soldering, you just make sure that the connections are tight and sound. If you build an antenna for the roof, you will have to solder the connections, and weatherize them with liquid rubber, it will last for years. Test it and see which way it works better, horizontally (with the face of the T looking toward the empire State building), or vertically, which has no directivity.

Oct. 12 2009 02:23 PM
jim brenner from dover, nj

hi Nancy,

sorry to confuse you with technology. if you're using a kitchen size radio it may not have 75 ohm or coaxial antenna connections anyway. those are usually found on big multi-function receivers. you may have a telescoping antenna, and the best thing you can do with that is position the radio at diff spots and rotate the antenna wand around to get the best signal. the guys at any Radio Shack will be glad to help you.

Oct. 11 2009 01:31 AM
Arthur Stein from NYCITY

The reception is very inconsistent & seems to disappear at times.I live on 38st in the shadow of the Empire State Building , how can you expect listeners to support wqxr with such an erratic signal.
Keeping Exploring Music which is pandering & insulting to people who live with & studied music & not continue David Dubal's challenging & interesting program is a sad mistake.

Oct. 10 2009 08:52 PM
Nancy Nagy

Hi Jim,
I just started to listen to QXR about a year ago, and I can get 105.9 on my radio at all in my kitchen, and in my truck I get plenty of static. I am so disappointed. I even looked for another classical station to get my fix, an couldn't find one. Your solution sounds very confusing. With technology as advanced as it is these days, why am I having so much trouble? I MISS QXR!

Oct. 10 2009 06:21 PM
Paul Epstein from Lower Manhattan

Hi Nadia. Got home from the Orpheus concert Thurs night, returned our radio presets to 105.9, and could not go to sleep 'til we heard whose voice game on after midnight. Thank god it was yours! You were the best thing to hit WNYC since Margaret Juntwait left for the Met. Now we'll get you both on one station. Hope you get back to playing contemporary, sometimes challenging music EARLY in your show, when we listen, including stuff written last week by some guy from Brooklyn. (And of course you're favorite Brandenburg is #6 with the violas standing out, with no violins to compete with.)

Oct. 10 2009 11:59 AM
Paul Epstein from Lower Manhattan

Oct. 10 2009 11:58 AM
jim brenner from dover, nj

here's a substantial solution to poor reception. I live 40 mile west of nyc, and was getting almost all static b 4 I used a signal booster. now I just get an undertone of soft static, and none during louder passages. Here's what you do: go to Radio Shack, or another electronics store. get a powered signal booster, a 6 foot dipole antenna (if you don't have the one that came with your set), a male coaxial connector with two ears, a female conn with two screws for the ears of your antenna, and a 3 foot coaxial cable ( like for a vcr). hook up the male conn to your radio, plug in the cable, hook up the female to the antenna, plug the cable and female conn into the booster in the proper places, orient the antenna for best recption, and you're in business

Oct. 10 2009 10:15 AM
Phil Fusco from NYC, to be SURE!

Nobody loves NYC more than I do, ... and few love WNYC more - although I'm sure I have plenty of competition in both categories.

Don't know where to post this, given the colossally not-ready-for-the-merger wqxr.org website, among other things.

PLEASE, WQXR's listeners skew a lot older than WNYC's, so they're gonna need TONS of help navigating to the web, 'cause let's face it - that was $15 MM absolutely wasted - smart companies buy out of bankruptcy if that's inevitable, and it surely was in QXR's place. (I won't bother connecting all the dots, but WNYC is more corporate than corporate these days, so it's time to beg and mooch less and spend $ intelligently!)

Back on topic! It's a lot harder to listen to radio at a PC than it is to get and send email, but it's not, as they say, rocket science.

Spend a few hundred dollars REALLY smart, and get a flash demo prepared - and try it out on several "grandparents." Otherwise, you'll lose the only thing that gives the combination a chance of working out to NEW YORK's advantage - continuing to serve the tens of thousands of old school WQXR listeners fine classical music.

Lissen up, Laura & Co.... If a tree falls in the forest.... Yup, and if only 30% of the WQXR listener family migrates - obviously, 105.9 is a joke for music lovers - you better hope that the Greene family is a bottomless well!

Oct. 09 2009 09:57 AM
Luke Rinderknecht from Mount Kisco

Hi Nadia! Thanks for introducing all of us to new, great music on the radio - and the internet-radio.

Now that fall is upon us I was enjoying some seasonal marshmallow snacks, and I was surprised to learn that the serving size for marshmallow pumpkins is 8 pumpkins! Is it because, as the temperature falls in the Fall, we need more calories just to stay warm? Or is it because marshmallow pumpkins are only half the size of marshmallow peeps?

Oct. 09 2009 12:04 AM