Free (or Cheap!) Concerts in NYC

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Autumn will soon turning into winter, but that doesn’t mean the spirit of free summer shows is disappearing.

Columbia University regularly hosts free, hour-long lunchtime concerts in the cozy reading room of Philosophy Hall. This season, cellist Alisa Weilerstein, violinist Jennifer Koh, and pianist Benjamin Hochman focus on Bach.

On the first Saturday evening of each month, the Brooklyn Museum turns into the city’s premier (free!) cultural playground, where live music is married with the art on display.

Check out the stars of tomorrow at the free concerts given by Juilliard students, whose artistic range is breathtaking.

For only $10 to $12 a ticket, People’s Symphony Concerts stages performances by such marquee artists as the Juilliard Quartet, Richard Goode, and Yefim Bronfman as well as an array of thrilling young musicians.

The organization High 5 sells $5 tickets to cultural programs for teens between the ages of 13 and 18. Currently on tap: tickets to the New York Philharmonic, the 92nd St. Y, and Bargemusic.

WQXR

Duffy,

For a personalized recommendations and help listening to the radio, email Listener Services: listenerservices@wqxr.org

Nov. 01 2010 11:22 AM
Duffy from Heart of White Plains NY

Live in heart of White Plains and can't get sufficient signal strength to listen without fuzziness.

Any chance of having "Cablevison" enable access to an FM signal on their line. Other cable services provide this. The only service available in White Plains is "Cablevision" (Fios is not available in all multi -story buildings.)

Any suggestions for an amplified indoor antenna that would do the job.

Oct. 30 2010 06:42 AM
Richard S Mitnick from Highland Park, NJ

i.a. jaffe
Great "reception" via new the 128kbit stereo web stream. Listen on the computer, or patch from your sound card to your stereo system.

Dec. 11 2009 07:07 PM
i.a. jaffe from manhattan

You won't get much in listener contributions, as you loose audience for failure to receive the signal adequately, or at all. Shame on WNYC and the NY Times for having destroyed a valuable resource in the city...the "cultural capitol"of America. Even living in Manhattan, its hopeless in many areas.

Dec. 11 2009 05:23 PM
Lisa from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street,

The Metropolitan Museum offers $10 concert tickets to students based on availability to such steallar events as Pacifica Quartet, Till Fellner, Yefim Bronfman, and Menahem Pressler. Show up with a valid id and get two tickets.

Oct. 26 2009 11:43 AM
Robert in Manhattan from Manhattan, NYC

I lost a good portion of the signal:

I live in upper Manhattan and the fuzzzzy reception (note the extra poor spelling of fuzzy to drive home the point, 'fuzzzzy') is sad as WQXR.FM at 96.3 was not fuzzy, was well transmitted and received.

Not so at 105.9 as WQXR is very fuzzy and please recall I live in Manhattan.

Prior to the call letter move, when I tested the previous call letters on 105.9 ( a Spanish market station) the signal was clear and I thought to my self, OK I can live with the switch. Quelle Surprise suprise, the signal drop off was extreme and very noticeable.

I think I corrected one radio issue (a BOSE Wave) in the living room by getting a very long antenna extension and putting antenna close to my window. Unsightly but functioning.

The other radio: That solution remains to be developed.

I feel badly for all those outer boro and suburban folks.

Listening on line is not always a good option.

Sometimes I merely wish to listen to the radio in the bedroom and that problem is yet unresolved unless I wish to try to go to sleep to fuzzzy classical music. Not cool at all.

There is a solution: more power better directed transmitter stations. More money. More money. Oh, did I say: more money.

Oh!, the things we do for good music.

Oct. 11 2009 10:06 AM
Janice from Granite Springs, NY

All I know isreception in northern Westchester is terrible to non-existent. We already have an outside antenna and it doesn't help. The way to get even is to do 2 things:
1. Give no more money to WNYC until they fix this - even if they have to move to another location.
2. Second, may I suggest that you do not buy the New York Times because it was their greed that started this.

Oct. 10 2009 08:31 PM
Marta

I live in the suburbs about 30 miles north of NYC and have trouble with reception, even for wnyc. The problem has been solved by listening on the web. Great reception , zero interference, and the added bonus of the web only stations. I tried Q2 today and really liked it.

Oct. 10 2009 07:26 PM
Margie Freilich-Den from Westport CT

I am so disappointed and disgusted with the move. I have lived and breathed WQXR for so many years. The reception is riddled with interference in Westport CT. This turn of events goes with the flow of the "dumbing down" of America.

Oct. 10 2009 06:20 PM
Jane Hunter from Bound Brook, NJ

As a NJ listener to both WNYC and WQXR, I have to add my voice to the consternation about degraded signal on the "new" WQXR. Not only does this make it difficult to hear my favorite WQXR programs, but you've had the audacity to move some of my favority WNYC programming to this inaudible location!

If we donate to the new WQXR will it buy a more powerful transmitter pointed at NJ?

Oct. 10 2009 12:30 PM
Dominique

I am living in Manhattan and since you move on 105.9, I don't hear you. I don't understand why
the signal is so weak. My apartment is too quite now and I am very sad.

Oct. 09 2009 10:55 PM
Dr linda heusser from white plains ny

tragic - I live in white plains NY and cannot receive even a sound- let alone music at 105.9 fm
for years the Met opera and wqxr have been part of my live-alas- no longer
had not expected that reception would be so limited
I receive no signal

Oct. 09 2009 09:08 PM
Sunny from Brooklyn, NY

For users having a problem with reception after the change you'll should try and use a "Dipole FM Antenna" (available at RadioShack for about $7) with your radio/receiver to improve the quality.

Oct. 09 2009 02:52 PM
John from Suffolk County

Well, we no longer receive your station. Youe signal is overrun by WBLI. Why did you make this move? Sad, very sad indeed.

Oct. 09 2009 01:48 PM
Linda Keil from ardsley, NY Westchester

I am trying to adjust to the new reality of qxr not being where I can hear it. Is there any possibility of increasing the clarity of 105.9? I can get it (scratchily) upstairs in my house, but not downstairs in my kitchen where I usually am. Help!! Change is always hard. Thanks

Oct. 09 2009 10:59 AM