Sure, there are always the DVDs of Peter and the Wolf and Beethoven Lives Upstairs, but a live concert is an unforgettable experience for young ones.
1. Following in Bernstein’s footsteps, the New York Philharmonic now presents two series of educational and entertaining programs that include instrument “petting zoos” for the young—and the very young.
2. The 92nd St Y stages inventive and innovative concerts for children of all ages, including pizza and music events for older kids.
3. The Family Concerts at Carnegie Hall are great occasions for introducing your children to world-class artists, and for only $9 a ticket, too.
4. A longstanding classic for generations of New Yorkers, the Little Orchestra Society mounts sweet-spirited concerts for kids and their grown-ups.
5. As maverick-spirited as ever, New York City Opera is presenting Chabrier’s opera L’Etoile in a family version that will be perfect for your discerning little star.