Beata Moon

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Allegro; with rhythmic vitality, from Wind Quintet

Performed by the Beata Moon Ensemble

My second CD of chamber music, Earthshine, was designed to let me experiment with writing for a variety of solo instrumental and mixed ensembles. The good fortune of my collaborations with Tara Helen O'Connor, Jacqueline Leclair, Marianne Gythfeldt, Ann Ellsworth, and Laura Koepke through their work with the Beata Moon Ensemble proved to be my inspiration for Wind Quintet. The warmth, energy and particular talents of these wonderful musicians helped to shape the mood and feel of each of the work's three movements—the playful dialogue between the instruments in the first movement, the quiet meditation of the second movement and the rhythmic frolic of the third movement.  I especially enjoy writing with specific musicians in mind because it brings to life my musical ideas in a more palpable way, adding a new element to the process of composing.

I'm a contemporary ballet dancer who has had the great joy of dancing to Beata's music on stage many times. It's music you can swim in. I love it!

Aug. 02 2010 10:43 PM
Brad from Brooklyn

Nice Beata!

Aug. 01 2010 01:02 PM
Chaim Sil from Oregon

An absolute delight!

Jul. 26 2010 01:58 AM
Linda Husar from Huntington Station, NY

Beata is such a wonderful musician. Her music is energetic, perky, "listenable", and
fun. Her compositions are original and diverse. She makes modern music, for me, more approachable.

Jul. 25 2010 09:42 PM
Marilynne Geiffert

Her music is totally original and inspiring. She mixes emotions seemlessly and there is always a tad of whimsey and humor. She is one of the most creative young composers I've listened to - I've also performed her vocal music to great acclaim - she certainly knows how to win the hearts of her audience. Can't say enough about her diversity!

Jul. 25 2010 08:24 PM
Cary Frumess

As a subscriber to Gramophone magazine for nearly 35 years, I was intrigued by Andrew Druckenbrod's rave review a couple of years ago of one of Moon's CDs. Upon listening, I found myself in total agreement. Here, indeed, is a voice of individuality, variety and touching expressiveness -- both of our time and timeless. There is an aspect of art that conceals art in its seemingly effortless communicative power. I know of no one else writing today who is so naturally musical and who affords the listener such consistent pleasure and reward.

Jul. 24 2010 12:15 PM
Justin Hines

Totally original. Nobody sounds like Beata but Beata. When I hear her music, I'm like, Oh my God, that's totally Beata. And then it turns out it IS Beata!
-j

Jul. 20 2010 12:40 PM
Darlene Kuperus

How delightful to listen to this young, gifted composer's work! Fresh, elegant, playful, energetic are all words that come to mind upon listening to the first movement of "Earthshine". I certainly would love to enjoy the rest of this work and would certainly enjoy listening to an entire CD of her music!
Well done!

Jul. 19 2010 11:21 AM
Priscilla Rodriguez from Kissimmee, Florida

It is a pleasure to listen to Beata's music. Her unique approach to classical music is apparent in each of her pieces. What a talented young lady. Should she be selected for Orpheus' 40th Anniversay Celebration? Yes!

Jul. 15 2010 12:40 PM
barry joseph from New York

I have enjoyed Beata's music ever since she became my neighbor. Her music is diverse, creative, accessible and full of the same bright energy she brings to our co-op's community.

Jul. 14 2010 01:01 PM
Elly from Portland from Oregon

Beata Moon's music entices you to love contemporary music. The music is warm, elegant, playful, energetic, sometimes startlingly lyrical. It is gracefully informed by classical tradition while remaining fresh and original. Her music is accessible to all listeners. She is the perfect choice for the Orpheus Project 440.

Jul. 13 2010 09:57 AM
Wanda from Michigan

I have followed with delight the growth in Beata as a human being and as a musician over the past 10 years. Her compositions, especially this latest, deserve a broader audience.

Jul. 13 2010 08:38 AM
Patty from Seymour, CT

beautiful, Beata is such a great musician, her inclusion in the Orpheus celebration would be a treat for everyone

Jul. 12 2010 11:17 AM
David Nochimson from New York, NY

I am a big fan of Beata's music. So playful!

Jul. 11 2010 07:48 PM
Kathy from Orange, CT

Beata Moon is extremely talented and creative. It is clear why she is nominated for the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra’s Project 440. Her musical compositions are the perfect choice for the Orpheus' 40th anniversary celebration. I truly enjoy listening to her music.

Jul. 11 2010 12:57 PM
Patrick from NJ

Beata Moon's music is luminescent, scintillating, and charming. She synthesizes genres in a self-assured, natural manner. There is something very American about her music--fresh, optimistic, multicultural--that is infectiously irresistible.

Jul. 10 2010 06:00 PM
Patricia Davis from New York City

I have been a fan of Beata Moon and her music since the first day I worked with her in the Beata Moon ensemble. We have collaborated several times playing her "Moonpaths" trio (clarinet, violin, piano) and premiered her "A Collage of Memories" for violin and piano which she wrote for me. Her music is impeccably written, full of imagination, beauty and originality. She is an outstanding composer/pianist and I know that Orpheus would love working with her.

Jul. 09 2010 01:43 PM
Ken from NYC

I have been to many Orpheus performances, and I think Beata's music is well suited for the Orchestra, as it is well balanced, but highlights the musicians as well. The music is beautiful, and I would love to hear a performance of her music by Orpheus.

Jul. 06 2010 08:16 PM
Miya from New York

Beata's music is thoughtful, while being joyful and whimsical, bringing the image of young children playing together in the sunshine. The harmony of the instruments, combined with their highlighting melodies is a complete delight.

Jul. 06 2010 08:03 PM
John J. Coyne from Plainview, NY

I love the contrasts in this piece. There is a sense of urgency and then a deliberate move toward a more calm and even musical response. I find it so easy to make personal and meaningful connections to Beata's music.

Jul. 05 2010 05:41 PM
GFB from NY

I admire the honesty in her music. Beautiful!

Jul. 04 2010 09:24 PM
Uncle Marty from N ew Jersey

Wonderful composer, wonderful person. A compassionate teacher and performer.

Jul. 04 2010 02:06 PM
Brian from New York City

Beautiful. I could listen all day!

Jul. 04 2010 02:04 PM
Elaine from New Jersey

A pleasure to listen to. Beata Moon is my first choice!

Jul. 04 2010 02:01 PM
Sammy from NYC

Beata's music is full of interesting detail, contours, and emotion. She is an innovative and intelligent composer.

Jul. 04 2010 01:58 PM
Aaron from NYC

What a great piece. It sounds like she was writing this for the killer Orpheus wind section.

Jun. 30 2010 11:29 PM
Carol Schultz from New York, NY

Beautiful! Peaceful! Inspiring! Thank you!

Jun. 28 2010 11:33 AM
Emma from Queens, New York

Lovely! Very relaxing and it makes me smile every time I listen to Beata's music...what a great composer!

Jun. 28 2010 09:34 AM
Dennis Bathory-Kitsz from Northfield, Vermont

I have known Beata's music for several years, since she was a guest on our radio show in 2003. She would be my choice for your commission.

Jun. 28 2010 09:16 AM
Claire Lind

I have attended numerous concerts of Beata's music, and have found her to be a most creative artist. I immensely enjoy listening to her CDs.

Jun. 27 2010 11:08 PM
Allyssa Rodriguez

Beata's music is a delightful treat that should be part of the Orpheus celebration. My 10 year old daughter enjoys listening to her CDs, which is a real testament to the broad appeal of her music.

Jun. 27 2010 11:04 PM
RUTH REYNOLDS

Beata Moon's compositions are sensitive, moving and uplifting. She is a very dedicated and talented musician and composer and would certainly be an asset to the Orpheus 40th anniversary celebration.

Jun. 27 2010 10:31 PM
Roberto

Nothing would please me more than to attend a concert by the excellent Orpheus orchestra with a piece by Beata Moon included in the program. I have nothing but admiration for her as much as for such ensemble. Now that I think of it, they are meant for one another... and now is the time!

Jun. 26 2010 11:48 PM
Eva from Copenhagen, Denmark

well, I had to pinch myself when I was listening to the pieces. There were fragments which sounded exactly like quotations from early XX century. I understand that one can have a problem with modernism, but it definitely one needs to be original in order to be worthy the prize.

Jun. 26 2010 06:56 AM
Matt from Queens

Always a pleasure to experience Beata's music. Whimsical at times, contemplative at others. A great selection.

Jun. 25 2010 09:52 PM
Henning Rübsam from in Lima, Peru at the moment

What a joy to be able to hear BEATA MOON's Wind Quintet via the weblink on tour in Peru. My company SENSEDANCE is performing to her wonderful music in South America at the moment. Everyone loves Beata's work and I feel privileged to have the honor to choreograph to her compositions.

Jun. 25 2010 02:04 AM
Jay Crane from New York City

Beata Moon is a versatile and imaginative musical explorer whose discoveries expand and transform even the most familiar terrain into realms of wonder and delight.

From her earliest recorded compositions of nearly 15 years ago through the present, Ms. Moon's work shows a dancer’s delight in rhythm, a performer’s sense of timing and surprise, and an artist’s faith in the power of beauty, harmony and order.

An assured and compelling pianist in her own right as well as a committed teacher and music educator, her work shows a deep respect for the abilities and possibilities of the musicians for whom she writes. She delights, challenges and uplifts her audiences, leaving them stronger and better for the experience of listening – and looking forward to more.

This is a distinctive voice that merits wider listening

Jun. 24 2010 09:16 PM
Ellen Pall from NY

I love the Moonesque sense of gentle propulsion through this delicate, beautiful piece. The orchestration is rich and satisfying, and the rhythms and slightly mischievous tunefulness lead us through its mazy thickets without ever letting us get lost. Like a brief, guided tour of a magical forest. Lovely.

Jun. 24 2010 04:05 PM
irene symons

beautiful. Very peaceful and enjoyable.

Jun. 24 2010 02:16 PM
Randall Compton

Wonderful rhythmic vitality and tone color. Beata is a very talented composer.

Jun. 24 2010 02:06 PM
james

a great piece. playful without being too cute. it's original and timeless.

Jun. 23 2010 10:45 PM
Jody Oberfelder

Beata Moon ROCKS classical!

Jun. 23 2010 09:15 PM
Susan from Salisbury, CT

A charming listenable creation! The use of classical composing techniques with substantial rhythmic interest and contemporary harmonies makes Beata an obvious choice for Orpheus' 40th Anniversary's composer!

Jun. 23 2010 04:29 PM
Laurie J.A. from New York City

Miss Moon's music is right on the borderline between melodically charming, and challenging to the ear. In my opinion, this is the sweet spot for modern classical music: not to feel assaulted, but to be surprised and intrigued, and on the edge of your seat waiting to hear what comes next! I've heard Miss Moon's work in performance with various groups, in which her music is consistently delightful, but extremely versatile. She also has the amazing characteristic of being able to write music that is witty.

Jun. 23 2010 03:41 PM
Nancy

I highly recommend Beata Moon for the Orpheus project. I am familiar with several of her works. Each demonstrates a composer who works well with any instrument combination. What always strikes me about her compositions is the fresh and expressive quality of the works. She is certainly a composer who should be heard a lot more of and is a ray of hope for classical music in the 21st century.

Jun. 23 2010 02:00 PM
John B from Brooklyn

One delight after another. Dynamic, fresh, compelling, distinctive. Bears serious listening, but without a drop of pretension.

Jun. 23 2010 12:15 AM

Beata's music is elegant, intuitive, dynamic and original. I have had the pleasure of interviewing her and her thoughts on music are incisive and exact but she isn't the least bit pretentious about it and has no delusions about her place in the world, or what her work might mean. Hers is a fresh voice in contemporary music that is sorely needed to be heard and it would be a pity if Orpheus did not see the obvious merit in her creativity and talent, and both factors are readily apparent in this excerpt.

Jun. 22 2010 06:34 PM
Uncle Dave from Ann Arbor, MI

Beata's music is elegant, intuitive, dynamic and original. I have had the pleasure of interviewing her and her thoughts on music are incisive and exact but she isn't the least bit pretentious about it and has no delusions about her place in the world, or what her work might mean. Hers is a fresh voice in contemporary music that is sorely needed to be heard and it would be a pity if Orpheus did not see the obvious merit in her creativity and talent.

Jun. 22 2010 06:27 PM
Eve Katerina from Vancouver, BC

Always beautiful and refined, Beata Moon's compositions are unforgettable. She embodies a new style of modern composer that understand the importance of lush melodies coupled with experimental sonorities. Her ability to create a fun, light mood while engaging the mind is unsurpassed.
I've been hooked on her music since her very first CD. Moon promises to continue progressing the vision of how modern classical music can speak for the complexities and humanity of our 21st century age.

Jun. 22 2010 02:32 PM
Eve Katerina from Vancouver, BC

Jun. 22 2010 02:18 PM
Aline Bernstein from Brooklyn, NY

I love Beata Moon's music. It is so
beautiful and haunting. Her use of
harmony is extraordinary. I am lucky
enough to own one of her recordings
and play it often. She is an amazing
talent!!!

Jun. 22 2010 11:35 AM
Mark from N.J.

Beautiful. Flowing, bright. Never heard her music before. Just wonderful! The use of the different timbres of the instruments leaves me with a feeling of "ahhh, yes." As the piece unfolds, refreshed. Delightfully surprised.

Jun. 22 2010 10:26 AM
Chiori Miyagawa from New York City

It's playful and uplifting as well as beautiful. I like the subtlety of her music. She is a dedicated musician, and it seems she is a great much for this event.

Jun. 22 2010 10:24 AM
Sean Hickey

Wonderful stuff. The wind quintet combination is one of my very favorites and this excerpt sounds like a great piece.

Jun. 22 2010 06:51 AM
Rachel Grimes from Kentucky

Elegant harmonic texture and melodic language, and spirited forward-moving energy. Beata Moon would joyfully embrace the opportunity to handcraft a new work for the extraordinary Orpheus.

Jun. 21 2010 07:53 PM
Ben

Wind quintet is not an easy combination to write for, but this example is just wonderful!Beata really seems to know how to bring out the personality of each instrument while achieving that beautiful, unified wind sound. This attention and craftsmanship is in all of her music - and in her exquisite piano playing, too!

Jun. 21 2010 06:39 PM
Liza from Baltimore

Beata's music is flowy and enjoyable!

Jun. 21 2010 04:53 PM
Madeline Cohen

It's beautiful - lyrical, full of color, with some nice surprises.

Jun. 21 2010 03:02 PM
Alice Fricke from New York, NY

In this piece, I really enjoyed the modern music with the medieval echo that the wood winds provided. As usual with Beata it was provocative and unexpected. Beata Moon would be a great choice for Orpheus.

Jun. 21 2010 10:12 AM
Susie Case from New York

Beata Moon's commitment to music is uncompromising. She is fearless in giving her all in her compositions. She is also deeply attentive to the experience of her audience and the needs of the rest of her team - program directors, venue managers, CD producers. This rare combination of a great musical gift, hard work, and love of others shines clearly in Beata's writings.

Jun. 21 2010 09:34 AM
Stephanie Goodman

Beata's work is beautiful and inspiring. She is a great teacher and composer and would be a wonderful choice for the Orpheus' 40th anniversary celebration.

Jun. 21 2010 08:39 AM
Dan George from Brooklyn, NY

Over the last several years I have had the opportunity to hear performances of Ms Moon's work by her and others. I am impressed each time by the growth and intelligence of her work and look forward to seeing what's next.

Jun. 20 2010 05:39 PM
Erica Marks from Brooklyn, NY

I'm a big fan of Beata's and think her work would be an amazing choice on the occasion of Orpheus' 40th anniversary celebration. She has a seamless ability to move between the more traditionally classical tradition and very experimental work, along with folk and devotionally-inspired pieces. I really love her versatility and this piece exhibits that quality as well. She has also been so generous with her time in mentoring others, particularly women composers. To me, that is a huge plus.

Jun. 20 2010 05:28 PM
Carolyn Bryan from Statesboro, Georgia

I have been fascinated by Beata's Music since her first CD. She brings her compositional gifts to fruition in inventive melodic lines, unique orchestrations, and creative use of form. She is truly a bright light in today's classical music scene.

Jun. 19 2010 08:57 PM
richard cionco

wonderful!!! intelligent, contrapuntal, accessible, and fun!

Jun. 19 2010 03:43 AM