Corey Dargel

Notes from the Composer

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Everybody Says I'm Beautiful

Performed by the International Contemporary Ensemble; Vocals by Corey Dargel.

These two songs come from the larger work Thirteen Near-Death Experiences, an art-pop song cycle about different kinds of psychiatric delusions, with a focus on hypochondria. Everybody Says I'm Beautiful touches on the differences between one's mental image of one's body and the way other people see it. In What Will It Be for Me, the singer ruminates on his future health, based on his family's medical history of clinical depression, heart disease, dementia, and suicide. Here Dargel sings with the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) and David T. Little.

When he was in junior high school, Corey became ill with a chronic medical condition that kept him in bed for the better part of six months.  Doctors could not diagnose the illness.  Eventually it went away on its own, but Corey was held back one year in school and never found out what was wrong with him.

In Thirteen Near-Death Experiences, psychiatric case studies masquerade as love songs, embracing a mix of humor, tenderness, and pathos and celebrating the ways in which abnormal behavior leads to more diverse interactions with the world, new approaches to creativity, and unconventional definitions of sanity.

What Will it be For Me

Performed by the International Contemporary Ensemble, Corey Dargel, vocals

Musically, Thirteen Near-Death Experiences represents a drastic shift from Dargel’s signature glitch/electro-pop style—described by Time Out New York as "elegantly skewed electronic art songs"—to the organic, focused intricacies of a classical chamber ensemble.  Thirteen Near-Death Experiences is scored for vocalist, flute/alto flute, clarinet/bass clarinet, piano, drum set/percussion, violin, and cello.

Thirteen Near-Death Experiences appears on Dargel’s two-CD album Someone Will Take Care of Me, released in 2010 by New Amsterdam Records.

Denise DeVone

i want them playing this song whenever i enter a room!
I love it - dark done with lightheartedness,
thank you!
Vocals as another instrument - well done.

Jul. 28 2010 09:45 PM
Cornelius Dufallo from NYC

What Will it be For Me is a gorgeous piece of music.

Jul. 03 2010 10:36 PM

Boy howdy, I sure love this fella's music! All y'all talkin' 'bout "art" and "pleasure" and whathaveyou are dang fools! Nothing pleases me more than to sit underneath the stars, listening to this boy singing for his supper!

Jun. 30 2010 11:00 AM
Boulezbian from Manhattan

@Eva from Copenhagen

Indeed! I have always felt very strongly that anything pleasurable cannot possibly be high quality art music. I think Orpheus would be wise to stay away from this composer, unless Orpheus would rather *please* than challenge.

Jun. 26 2010 10:25 AM
Eva from Copenhagen, Denmark

Boulezbian from Manhattan at least he isn't pretending to be smart.
The presented fragments are pleasurable, but not high quality art music.

Jun. 26 2010 06:31 AM

I like Corey. He makes funny robot noises that make my humans laugh. However, I do not wanna be an amputee.

Jun. 25 2010 11:26 AM
Lainie from NYC

Corey's music has the rare gift of being beautiful while making me fascinatingly uncomfortable. His incredibly able craftsmanship as a composer allows him to write songs that are at once accessible and interesting -- a combination that I love. I'd be really curious what he'd write for Orpheus!

Jun. 24 2010 03:41 PM
Boulezbian from Manhattan

This "composer" is a blatant hack. I certainly hope Orpheus doesn't commission him. It would be a big mistake as his music has no substance whatsoever.

Jun. 21 2010 10:21 AM
edward from LA

nice songs. the confessional nature of them seems honest, perhaps slightly heavy handed at times. feels like the music is sort of an afterthought in relation to the intensity of the texts.

Jun. 20 2010 01:03 PM