Cornelius Dufallo

Notes from the Composer

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Senescence Music

Performed by Ethel

Senescence Music was written in 2008 as part of ETHEL's collaboration with choreographer Annie-B Parson. The term senescence refers to the process of aging in plant leaves. When I wrote Senescence Music I had in mind the image of a leaf slowly turning color. The piece begins in early autumn and ends in the dead of winter. Senescence Music was premiered in December, 2008, as part of ETHEL and Annie-B Parson's Wait For Green.

Lighthouse

Performed by Ethel

Lighthouse is a bittersweet groove in three sections. To me, the image of a lighthouse conjures feelings of both loneliness and hope. Lighthouse was commissioned by the fusion ensemble NurseKaya and received its first performance from that group in August, 2004.

Da Ping Luo

invigorating and refreshing.

Jul. 22 2010 11:15 AM
AJK from NY

Neil's music is fresh and original, and he develops his themes in an amazing, organic way. I find his music to be extremely moving!

Jul. 12 2010 10:57 AM
Paola Prestini from SF

Neil's music makes me feel alive. Just beautiful. And, his playing is amazing. I've got this on my phone and listen to it often:)

Jul. 06 2010 01:08 PM
Dorothy Lawson from New York City

It is a pleasure and a privilege to work with Neil in ETHEL. He is an expert player and composer, but those are just his media. The really great stuff is who he is and what he wants to communicate. It's what made us fall in love with him.

These pieces are awesome, the recordings were great fun to make and we are very proud of them. Please support Neil to wriite more? We promise to play it.....!!

Jul. 05 2010 08:38 PM
GFB from NY

I have heard Mr. Dufallo as a violinist. This was the first time I heard his music. I enjoyed listening to it very much.

Jul. 04 2010 09:30 PM
Daniel Felsenfeld

I just think his music is great. And this from a fellow nominee!

Jun. 30 2010 10:52 PM
Jeffrey Zeigler

I love the energy and vitality of this piece. Well played too! Neil is a super talented composer and a great violinist too!

Jun. 30 2010 12:33 AM
Armando Bayolo from Washington, D.C.

Neil Duffalo's music is some of the freshest, most exciting work I've heard in some time. It is at once familiar and challenging--no easy feat!--in its melding of popular idioms with avant garde technique and its innovative and seamless use of electronics to expand the violin's range into magical territories. Please, please, PLEASE give Neil a commission!

Jun. 21 2010 08:52 PM