Volcanoes, Scandinavia, etc.

Monday, June 07, 2010

I am so happy (finally!) to be back from my ash-extended hiatus. To celebrate (and partly to facilitate a smooth radio re-entry), I thought it might be fun to feature music by northern European and Scandinavian composers this week. Tuesday in particular is going to be a crazy ride, with 24 straight hours of Finnish music!

There’s some sort of aesthetic about the music of this region that is undeniably attractive to me. I also have an affinity for herring? Anyway, this week will be all about the North.

Also: If you want to hear music that strikes me as literally insane, check out this piece Hekla (after the volcano of the same name) by Icelandic composer Jón Leifs. Seriously, go watch this crazy thing. There is literally no counterpoint! It’s all just crazy hits and wild instruments! What is this music!? I kind of love this, though it’s not exactly radio-friendly.

There are a lot of new names and pieces coming this week, but we can always use suggestions. Got any favorite northerners you’d like to hear?

Hosted by:

Nadia Sirota

All of this raises the question, when the ice returns-and it will return-who will see it first?

Jun. 11 2010 12:48 PM
Antonio Celaya from Oakland, CA

Soem great choral music from up there in herring country. How about playing Lidholm's Arriveder le stelle or Norgard's Singe Die Garten Mein Herz. Some Sven-Eric Back (imagine an umlaut on the a) might be a revelation to your audience. Thanks for the great programming.

Jun. 09 2010 05:39 PM
Peter from Australia

Hi Nina,
Kalevi Aho is one Finnish composer I would like to hear.

Jun. 07 2010 06:42 PM
Bernard Chasan from Boston MA

Northern composers ? Good idea- I love their music. I hope that you include Vasks and Norgard.
Norgard's string quartets are well worth exploring.
As a Dane he is on the Southern edge of Northern.

Jun. 07 2010 05:37 PM

Wow!! So happy to hear you again at Q2.

Jun. 07 2010 01:48 PM
gary gach from left coast

welcome back to the "airwaves" ... it was pleasurable to hear your substitutes ... but now I can cancel my Nadia Sirota Deprvation Therapy sessions at the Institute for Cranio Sacral QiGong ... anyways, all serious aside, i really enjoyed hearing gidon kremer play georgs pellecis "nevertheless" and wouldn't be immune to hearing it a couple more times ... plus anything else by this fascinating latvian composer ... i hope this finds you well ...

Jun. 07 2010 12:35 PM
Branka Parlic from Novi Sad/Serbia

Dear Nadia,

recently I came across on composer John Luther Adams from Alaska. I find him very, very interesting.

Best regards,