Rise and Shine and Go to a Concert

Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:00 AM

This week at a dinner party I met Pam, who left the get-together early. I'm a night owl myself (on the air weekend evenings, after all), but Pam told us that she regularly gets up at 4 am each day. She feels that rising early lets her "own the day," and gives her invaluable time to think and get things done.

But, she told us, she has an unfulfilled wish: she'd love to be able to attend an opera performance at 8 am, when she's most alert and receptive.

Maybe there are other people like Pam. Do you think morning concerts are a good idea? Would you attend? Are any musicians awake at 8 am?

Michael Meltzer

Anyone who wants to stage an operatic full performance at 6:00 in the morning has never had to deal with unions.

Jun. 19 2010 04:21 PM
Gyros from Queens

I propose that the Opening Morning performance be devoted to Bellini's La Somnambula.

That way the cast won't have to get themselves up for a full operatic performance that early in the morning -- they'll have been up all night anyway!

Jun. 17 2010 12:51 AM
Phyllis Sharpe from Teaneck, NJ

I thought I was an early riser for a retired person, but 6:30 is usual and since 10 am is the first class I teach, it is an easy arisal. But no operas or concertos, please. The best wake up call I had was Ginastera's Estansia' by the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchesta.

Jun. 14 2010 08:06 PM
Gev from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

I much prefer to be up early in the morning, preferably at or right before dawn, especially this time of year, when courting birds are singing.

I'd LOVE to attend an early morning opera, but how many singers would be willing or ready to indulge in a protracted performance so early in the day?

Jun. 13 2010 08:29 PM
Michael from Syracuse, NY

My first introduction to live classical music was an 8:30AM concert by the Cleveland Symphony back in the 1960s. The Cleveland was on the road in a barnstorming tour of Upstate New York, maybe three concerts a day wherever they could find a venue and an audience. A free ticket, a morning out of junior high school; I had no idea what a profoundly positive impression that terrific concert would have on the rest of my life.
Maybe we should get together a wee hours choral group and call it 'The Early Risers.'

Jun. 13 2010 05:31 PM
Fred from upper west side

Pam should make a pigrimage to Newport, Rhode Island, where the summer festival has concerts starting at 11 in the morning-- not quite 8, to be sure, but presumably well within her schedule.

See:

Jun. 13 2010 05:04 PM
Henry

Opera in the morning sounds like a fantastic idea. I regularly get up at 0530 or 0600 every day. This would be an excellent idea for a different type of appreciation for music.

Jun. 13 2010 05:01 PM
Jamie from Brooklyn

When I was in high school, we had to be in our seats, warmed up and tuned, at 7:30 a.m. for jazz band rehearsal before school. So it can be done.

I'm an early riser, but I'd be satisfied if the Met would just reinstate the early curtains they used to do on certain weekday evenings. Getting out of there at 10:30 rather than 11 makes something of a difference if you're going to be up by 5:30 the next morning, and have a 45-minute (if you're lucky) trian ride back to Brooklyn.

Jun. 12 2010 06:40 PM
Sanyi S. from Boro Park, planet Venus

What time does she go to bed ?

Jun. 12 2010 11:05 AM