Caramoor International Music Festival: Sneak Peek
Friday, June 25, 2010
Join Terrance McKnight and Caramoor’s General Director Michael Barrett in presenting some of the brilliant luminaries participating in this summer’s Caramoor International Music Festival.
These include bel canto specialist Will Crutchfield, Caramoor’s Director of Opera; Grammy Award-winning jazz clarinetist/saxophonist Paquito D’Rivera; New York City’s innovative amplified string quartet, ETHEL; the Jasper String Quartet, winners of the Grand and Audience Prizes at the 2008 Plowman Chamber Music Competition; Avery Fisher Career Grant-winner and principal clarinet of the Metropolitan Opera, Anthony McGill; soprano Angela Meade, described as “nothing short of a revelation” (Opera News); and pianist Vassily Primakov, whose recording of Chopin’s Mazurkas was named “Best of the Year 2009” by National Public Radio.
1) D’Rivera – Contradanza; played by Paquito D’Rivera, Anthony McGill clarinets with pianist Alex Brown
2) Chopin – 2 Mazurkas – A minor Opus 67 #4 and C# minor Opus 50 #3 played by pianist Vassily Primakov
3) Strauss – Zueingnung sung by soprano Angela Meade with pianist Will Crutchfield
4) Bellini – “Casta Diva” from Norma sung by soprano Angela Meade with pianist Will Crutchfield
5) D’Rivera – “Um a Zero” clarinetist Paquito D’Rivera and pianist Alex Brown
6) Haydn – last movement of the Opus 77 No. 1 played by the Jasper String Quartet
7) Philip Glass – “Escape” played by Ethel
8) Phil Kline – “March” played by Ethel