Live from Trinity Church: Handel's Messiah

Monday, December 13, 2010

On Monday, Dec. 13 at 7:30 p.m., WQXR presents a complete performance of Handel's Messiah by the Trinity Baroque Orchestra live from Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. Conductor Julian Wachner leads the orchestra through this perennial favorite, featuring an elaborate mix of chorus, soloists, and orchestra in the church where it received its New World premiere in 1770.

Naomi Lewin hosts, with additional commentary from conductor and organist Kent Tritle.

Program Details:

Monday, December 13 at 7:30 p.m.

Handel's Messiah

Elizabeth Baber

Hosted by:

Naomi Lewin

Contributors:

Kent Tritle

eleanor from New Jersey

Trinity Church is a wonderful venue. Rebroadcast again.
I would like to hear more of Praetorius choral works.
Will they ever do the Waverly Consort at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin. I have seen them for many years at the Cloisters.

Dec. 25 2010 11:23 AM
Riki Walsh from NYC

It would be great to rebroadcast Handel's Messiah from Trinity Church.

Dec. 17 2010 02:54 PM
April Wolff from Yupper West Side

How about a replay of The Trinity Church Messiah? And some medieval Christmas carols, like "The holly had a berry, like blood was it red, and Mary had Jesus Christ, who" (not ended up dead, but that's what comes to mind, (guiltily). Please give us, O Terrence McNight, "No Room In the Inn" by Vera Ward Hall, on Alan Lomax's Southern Journey series, "Sheep, Sheep, Don'tcha Know the Road?" , "Southern Music, Sacred and Sinful" [Can't we have both at the same time?] Vol. 6. Having been in the civil rights movement, "No Room in the Inn" is the most profound Christmas song I've ever heard, leaves me weeping. And probably will others too. No more JIngle Bells, White Xmas, or Rudolph, pleezzzzz!!!!! Lomax forever!

Dec. 15 2010 08:24 PM
WQXR

We just posted the names of the soloists. Sorry for the oversight!

Dec. 14 2010 04:44 PM
Edward Turberg from Wilmington, NC

My wife and I listened with rapt attention at the brilliant performance of Messiah from Trinity Church Wall Street. What a thrill to hear every note come through our speakers so clearly and realistically even across so many miles from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. A truly inspiring introduction to the Holiday Season. Thank you many times over!!!

Dec. 14 2010 11:06 AM
Michael Meltzer

The goals that Mr. Wachner has set for Trinity Church will ultimately raise the level of performance in the rest of the city as well, and create more jobs for musicians, as long as he continues to get publicity. WQXR should continue to help.

Dec. 14 2010 02:11 AM
Rhoma from New York City

This was a visceral and revelatory performance. Please repeat for those who didn't hear it tonight.

Dec. 13 2010 10:41 PM
Sally Searby from New York

A wonderful interpretation of the Messiah. Thank you. And great live commentary too. I loved every moment.

Dec. 13 2010 10:19 PM
Jay from Burlington, VT

Thanks to WQXR and Trinity Church for this wonderful performance. I am listening on line.

Dec. 13 2010 09:53 PM
JB from Yonkers, NY

That was quite moving. When the soloist sang "For now is Christ risen from the dead" I felt her words were packed with emotion yet it had such an airy feel. Her voice soared like a bird in full flight. These soloists are truly wonderful.

Dec. 13 2010 09:48 PM
Eileen from New York, NY

I totally agree - who are the soloists? Come on guys what they sang was very demanding on their voices, you missed the boat on this one, who are the soloists? What an amazing performance

Dec. 13 2010 09:22 PM

I grew up on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version, but I agree with the new young host, this is an amazing, deeply moving performance. Thank you.

Pamela Butler

Dec. 13 2010 08:58 PM
John from Jackson Heights, NY

@ Jessica - They were mentioned during the intermission. This is a great performance by great performers!

Dec. 13 2010 08:47 PM

Would have been lovely if there was a link to the libretto....

Dec. 13 2010 08:28 PM
Eleanor Heumann Pugach from new jersey

Where can one find a copy or download the story of the Christmas Doll which Bob Sherman has read over the years. I am not good with technology and have tried to download it over the years. Hard copy always works for me. I have a 3 year old grandchild and would like her to share the story.
Since I retired it is not as easy to attend opera and symphony; but listening to WQXR throughout the year is my window into the world of music. Thank you,Eleanor

Dec. 09 2010 09:54 AM
JESSICA MARLOW

Re Handel's Messiah: Who are the solioists? That very important information was omitted.

Dec. 08 2010 07:41 PM