Saints and Aints

Friday, October 30, 2009 - 03:50 PM

Celebrating or even acknowledging All Saints and All Souls Day has never been on my to-do list. That's primarily because I wasn't fully aware of these long-standing holidays until I began preparing this show.

I certainly have respect and admiration for my foreparents and many believers and non-believers who are no longer with us. This year I'll pause and acknowledge some of those folks, including some of my favorite musicians and composers whose music we continue to enjoy. Let's say your toast, prayer, or good works would actually advance the cause of eternal rest and happiness for the departed.

Which composer or artist would you say most needs intercession and why? And please have fun with this!

Joseph J. Lieber, MD from Queens, New York

Terrance, your presence on WQXR radio at 105.9 is truly fantastic! You bring knowledge, insight and of course great music. Many of the listeners have added their opinions as to what music they would like to hear. These are all valid but...we should all remember that it is the variety and inspiring music that you continue to bring us that is so critical!!
I truly love and look foward to listening to you!!!

Nov. 04 2009 07:11 AM
Frank Feldman

I would enjoy hearing more Sch├╝tz and Byrd.

Nov. 01 2009 11:56 PM
Mandy

Terrence,
(kind of on topic)
Like the woman above, I appreciated your comments about your Grandfather. I lost my grandmother 11 years ago and was beside her at the end. After she passed it was clear to me that our loved ones never really leave us; they just transfer(maybe on a long spiritual cruise...).

Coincidentally I was at the Whiteny the other night (to see the O'Keefe show)
and missed the begining of your talk/presentation with Erin and Colin Gee, but I was there for the answer/explanation Colin gave of his work and your somewhat bemused expression (why do some artists need to make it sound like rocket science?)

I hope to catch Erin's piece at Zenkel hall at the end of the month.

Nov. 01 2009 09:02 PM
Frank Feldman

Faure Requiem, Im Paradisum.
May our loved ones and we all be so lucky.

Nov. 01 2009 05:58 PM
sandycampbell

Thank you so much for sharing the special moment about your grandfather. I am returning from seeing the Michael Jackson's - This Is It. Such a wonderful artist who certainly needs our loving gift of spiritual embrace.

Oct. 31 2009 11:32 PM
Luvon

Mr. McKnight -- Found your comments about your response to grandfather's death powerfully moving. Thank you, for sharing that moment, and your lying atop his grave to "receive" his guidance. What power hath the orisha...and music for the dead!

Oct. 31 2009 10:16 PM
Tom, Cooper Sq.

Wonderful suggestonis from Michael, Frank Feldman, and Jonathan k! I would add --daring to shake humanity and all fate of every kind-- George Crumb's Vietnam threnody "Black Angels", for which a suitable intercession might be Taverner's "Eternity's Sunrise." In the spirit of All Soul's feelings... consider any of Keiko Abe's marimba, say, Prism Rapsody II. Almost any of Toru Takemitsu. Parallel to All Souls is Japanese Obon, the festival of unselfishness and family regathering, when paper lanterns are floated on the night river for the dead to drift to freedom. Ciao, T

Oct. 31 2009 03:45 PM
jonathan kaplan from Valley Stream NY

I think Erik Satie deserves an intersession on this show! He was a pretty radical dude.

Oct. 31 2009 12:49 PM
Frank Feldman

How about...
The Black Mass of Scriabin (Sonata 9)
The Ligeti Requiem
The Penderecki Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
A darker Bach Cantata
How about skipping The Isle of the Dead. Isn't that a tad obvious? It's about a painting anyway.
Oh, I know. A selection of great Medieval and Rennaissance requiem masses-you could begin with the Dies Irae plainchant, then 2-parts, 3-parts, 4-parts, etc.
A few thoughts...

Oct. 30 2009 09:02 PM

I think that Paul Hindemith needs a lot of intercession. His music is the most neglected of that of any major 20th century composer. There are a lot of wonderful discoveries to be made by listeners willing to explore.

Oct. 30 2009 07:45 PM