Mad Men and Working Women

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Working in New York City isn't easy. In fact it can be the stuff of high drama in movies and TV. On this week's Movies on the Radio, host David Garland presents soundtracks from "Mad Men," "The Best of Everything," and other dramas set at least in part in the New York workplace.

From the bizarre comedies "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying" and "Putney Swope," to the darker dramas "Sweet Smell of Success" and "The Apartment," the ups and downs of employment are given musical accompaniment by some of Hollywood's finest composers.

Playlist

Adolphe Deutsch - The Apartment - Office Workers (They Want You Upstairs) - United Artists

Alfred Newman - The Best of Everything - I Won't Be Your Mistress/Death for Gregg, End Title - Film Score Monthly

David Carbonara - Mad Men - The Men of Sterling Cooper, Carousel - Lionsgate Records

Frank Loesser - How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying - Overture, The Company Way - Robert Morse, et al - Ryko

Charley Cuva - Putney Swope - Intro, End Music - Fortune Teller Press

Elmer Bernstein - Sweet Smell of Success - Hunsecker's Price - Tickertape

Thomas Newman - Revolutionary Road - Route 12 - Nonesuch

Bernard Herrmann - The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit - Prelude, The Children's Hour - Varese Sarabande

L.E.S. from District of Columbia

Bernard Herman's score from North by Northwest might have worked too. I believe Cary Grant played an advertising exec in that one. Plus he wore a gray flannel suit.

I like your show.Thoughtful, mellow, sort of scholarly, unique, original, entertaining and locally-produced. Caught it on the audio podcast this morning, although it's best heard on Saturday night after dark.

Jul. 25 2010 10:05 AM
Yuko from Bergen County

I was fortunate to have a chance to listen to this tonight. This was awesome! really cool! If you missed the show, listen to the podcast above.

You'd love 'How to succeed without really trying ...' LOL.

Jul. 25 2010 12:47 AM
lizpenn

To Raul, above: To each his own, of course, but Movies on the Radio is one of my favorite programs on QXR or on the radio anywhere. Even when I don't love a particular score or composer, I love listening & learn a lot about both music & movies. Keep them coming, David!

Jul. 24 2010 09:58 PM
Raul Nunez from New YorkNY

After going thru half of the MadMen promotional program of "Movies on the Radio", I am more than convinced that while this kind of music is OK to hear, it is not worth while listening to. Soi there.

Jul. 24 2010 09:52 PM
Alan Kimmel from Chicago IL

No selection of soundtracks on the topic of working in New York can be complete without "Working Girl" The Carly Simon theme is first-rate.

Jul. 24 2010 09:14 PM
Sandra

My Sunday has been MADE! I'm so excited.

It's just too bad David Carbonara's "Lipstick" theme wasn't on the playlist this week! That has to be my favorite cue from Mad Men, hands down.

Jul. 23 2010 02:43 PM