Wagner's Das Rheingold

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Los Angeles Opera's first-ever Ring Cycle was among the most talked-about productions of the 2009-10 season. Directed by the German painter and theater artist Achim Freyer, the wildly fanciful, $32 million production was a decade in the making and a major cultural event for the city of Los Angeles. This week's Saturday at the Opera features the first installment of Wagner's four-opera cycle, Das Rheingold.

Over an uninterrupted, 145 minutes Das Rheingold features a stellar cast that includes Michelle DeYoung (Fricka), Gordon Hawkins (Alberich), Morris Robinson (Fasolt), Graham Clark (Mime) and Wayne Tigges (Donner). James Conlon conducts.

m. p. arazza

I have searched high & low but can't find anything about tomorrow's opera on your website. Am I missing something?

I'm assuming it is Walkure, but more information (as well as for remainder of the season) would be expected by now.

Jul. 30 2010 02:49 PM
Carroll Hendrickson, Jr. from Frederick, MD

Many thanks to those who informed me about Wotan Kowaljow-so much richer than Baltimore's own James Morris. When clicking on the desired Saturday date on your Schedule, the opera shown is always the one of the previous Saturday. Can't this be remedied? I truly appreciate your opera broadcasts.

Jul. 26 2010 08:53 PM
maddy wong

BTW, did anybody notice the error the LA commentator made in his pre-broadcast synopsis? After Wotan & Loge capture Alberich in Nebelheim, he stated that they return to Valhalla but, of course, they haven't been to Valhalla yet. They just return to earth.(They enter Valhalla for the first time in the last scene).

Jul. 24 2010 05:58 PM
Renate Perls from NYC

I am rather pleased that I did not have to watch Das Reingold from the LA Opera Company but beyond delighted that I could just pay attention to the music and voices in this superb rendition of that opera. I have watched James Conlon from his early days at the Met and he is a marvelous conductor who needs to be paid more attention to. Hearing an old friend from the Met and Bayreuth, Graham Clark, was as always a joy. The Wotan, Vitalij Kowaljow, best I've heard since Norman Bailey (who gave me Wagner). May I just say Bravi for this wonderful musical gift from all the cast. Thank you also to WQXR for presenting its audience with the Ring Cycle. I look forward to the next 3 performances.

Jul. 24 2010 04:52 PM
maddy wong from new york city

Mostly excellent singing and conducting all around. Fortunately, I didn't have to look at it! Ludicrous production. Anybody else notice that somewhere in the middle range, Kowalijow has a little of James Morris's timbre.Best Loge I've heard since Jerusalem
Bravi to all. Hope the Met's new Ring , doesn't also look like Walt Disney designed it.

Jul. 24 2010 04:23 PM
Concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

I think I will invade Poland. What a great bang up finale. I will throw my hammer towards Valhalla. Did you know the cry of the Rhine Maidens is to be heard in Rossini's Moses in Egypt. Yeah, no fooling.

Jul. 24 2010 03:32 PM
VINCENT ABATO

Wotan is Vitalij K owaljow

Jul. 24 2010 03:21 PM
Wondering

Wer und wo ist Wotan???

Jul. 24 2010 02:46 PM
Dane Stalcup from New York City

I agree with Mike. He's excellent, thus far.

Jul. 24 2010 01:42 PM
Mike Robbina

How can you list the cast without mentioning Wotan?

Jul. 24 2010 01:28 PM