All Ears: The Final Episode

This episode originally aired Saturday, March 09, 2013.

« previous episode

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Four years ago, host Terrance McKnight launched All Ears as a weekly show about musical discovery. Covering a wide range of styles, genres and periods, the show reflected the increasingly commonplace belief that we live in a boundary-less world when it comes to musical taste. Terms like "pop" and "classical" are increasingly irrelevant.

The show – which was honored with an ASCAP Deems Taylor Radio Broadcast Award in 2010 – has now run its course and will be replaced next week by WQXR's regular playlist format from 10 pm to midnight.

For this final episode, we revisit some of the sounds of Terrance's adopted city of New York. We hear Duke Ellington’s Tone Parallel to Harlem and Aaron Copland’s The City. The program also features New York composer and clarinetist Don Byron, such remarkable pieces as Louis Andriessen's Bells for Haarlem (the Dutch version) and to close, a piano work by the jazz pianist Marcus Roberts.

Thank you all for listening and your support these past four years.

Barby Cohen from Seattle

I'm a little late getting this news, but I am really sad to lose this program and also wonder why. .

Jul. 19 2014 10:18 PM
RJ from LI

WHY? Will Terrance McKnight host any other shows?
I so enjoyed All Ears; in fact I was very bothered recently when I found myself unable to stream it anymore. Now - nothing!
WHY? Please, at least give us an explanation.
Thank you for the programmes I was able to stream. I so enjoyed this programme, I just can tell you how much. It truly was my favourite, very favourite, WQXR programme.
Rita Jones

Jul. 12 2014 06:22 PM
Lou Gerbino from Easton,CT

Well,if this show has "run its course",whatever that means,what about expanding Movies on the Radio to 2 hours.I look forward to it all day. If that is too controversial,could you use this time for longer works,like Mahler symphonies or music by other composers of the 20th & 21st centuries. REALLY,what would be the harm in that? Oh,Rob,forget about an explanation. If past is prelude,"run its course" will be it!

Jun. 28 2014 11:54 PM
Tina

Thank you, Terrance McKnight. It has been wonderful c:

Jun. 28 2014 10:16 PM
Rob from San franciwco

Say it ain't so of...if it is tell us why? How lovely an experience every Saturday evening!

Jun. 28 2014 09:58 PM
Carlos from El Paso, TX

I was delighted to tune into WQXR some years ago and have followed you on my moves from Denver to Henryetta, OK, and subsequently to El Paso, TX. Love all the hosts and thanks for a great job.

Jun. 28 2014 06:22 PM
Avery from Kent, Ct

I discovered so much great music with this show. For those of us eager for something different, this was truly a godsend. So sad to see it go. Terrance, thanks for a wonderful four years. We are all the richer for it.

Jun. 28 2014 11:03 AM
Forrest from New York City

Oh joy! MORE standard playlist.
How disappointing to lose this program.
Thank you, Terrance, for some diversity in a sea of sameness.

Jun. 28 2014 10:42 AM
Frank from UWS

Thank you for the great show Mr. McKnight. I'm sorry to this go away. I look forward to your openminded programming and perceptive observations on music in other places in the future.

Jun. 28 2014 06:47 AM
a Friday evening listener from Fort Lee

Thanks for the DIVINE music .... Perfect for this evening, this time.

Jun. 27 2014 09:59 PM