Angela Meade and Jamie Barton Star in "Norma"

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Angela Meade stars as title role in LA Opera's production of 'Norma.' Angela Meade stars as title role in LA Opera's production of 'Norma.' (Ken Howard/LA Opera)

This Saturday at 1 pm, listen to Bellini's opera Norma, starring soprano Angela Meade as the druid princess with the showstopping aria "Casta diva." The strong cast features mezzo Jamie Barton as Adalgisa, the younger priestess who has fallen in love with the same Roman proconsul that fathered Norma's two children. Tenor Russell Thomas sings the role of that Roman proconsul, Pollione. Bass Morris Robinson rounds out the cast as Oroveso, the druid high priest. The production is led by conductor James Conlon.

Cast:

Norma: Angela Meade
Adalgisa: Jamie Barton
Pollione: Russell Thomas
Oroveso: Morris Robinson
Flavio: Rafael Moras
Clotilde: Lacey Jo Benter

Los Angeles Opera Orchestra and Chorus
Conductor: James Conlon

Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Thanks Mr. Eisenberg.
Bravo Norma and the Druids.
And her father sings Love has won.
What a finale. Love has won.
Best wishes to all.

Jul. 23 2016 03:41 PM
laura

minor league? Jamie BARTON????? she's fantastic- and Angela has loosened up a bit though by no means my favorite. and I love Russell Thomas and Morris Robinson. but why so TURGID M. Conlon?

Jul. 23 2016 03:37 PM
Mozartman from On the other coast

Of course Joan and Jackie aren't singin' it anymore. And Callas continues to fade. Most of the folks attending opera these days don't know Joan, Jackie or Maria - which is actually okay if live performances are to continue to get audiences. So I guess these radios performances are just for us old homers with ghosts of opera past floating in our ears. BTW - having to stream FMT since QXR live stream doesn't appear on my desktop.

Jul. 23 2016 03:33 PM

The ladies are trying hard but Meade is a little cheap with her High C's. Joan & Jackie have nothing to worry about.

Jul. 23 2016 02:46 PM

minor-league cast, but what a great score. Too bad James Conlon is crashing bore of a conductor.

Jul. 23 2016 02:34 PM
Larry Eisenberg from New York City

Bellini soothes my soul,
Like bel cantoists on the whole,
Ms Meade and Ms Barton
Have voices that hearten,
Ambrosia in a heavenly bowl.

Jul. 23 2016 02:26 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

THE duet for two sopranos being sung right now is among the most beautiful duets for female voices. Bravo Vincenzo.
Poor single mom, seduced and abandoned by a real stronzo.

Jul. 23 2016 02:18 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

CBC: I love this opera as well. Turned off the air conditioner just so I could listen to Norma and the Druids. I have the recording with Callas. My God, she was wonderful. I actually am moved to tears when she begs her father to look after the children.
Keep cool. It is like soup outside.
Tante belle cose and best wishes to all.

Jul. 23 2016 01:44 PM

Did you know Callas recorded Norma three times in 1955. One was the Scala b'cast, one was a concert version from Rai and the third was a commercial recording. The first two were with Del Monaco but he was under contract to another company so he didn't get the commercial recording.

Jul. 23 2016 01:11 PM

CBC: I love this opera. Try to stay cool, even tho Norma is a "hot" opera.

Jul. 23 2016 12:54 PM
Roger levey from Manhattan

What a treat on a broiling hot day in NYC to stay home and hear Norma!

Jul. 23 2016 11:19 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

I hope that the singers do this opera right. gorgeous music.
Bellini was like holy water. Wagner, Chopin, were influenced by him.
Siegfried's Rhine Journey, etc.
CBC: Hope you will be able to listen today. I will try to make time for this. Tante belle cose.

Jul. 23 2016 10:54 AM