Gilbert Conducts Bach's B Minor Mass

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Alan Gilbert and the New York Philharmonic. Alan Gilbert and the New York Philharmonic. (Chris Lee)

Alan Gilbert leads the New York Philharmonic in Bach's Mass in B Minor with soprano Dorothea Röschmann, mezzo-soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, tenor Steve Davislim, bass-baritone Eric Owens and the New York Choral Artists directed by Joseph Flummerfelt.

Program details:
Bach: Mass in B Minor

@ Les, from Miami Florida: "I also daresay that Alan 'Gilbert' considers this performance one of his major satisfactions in his New York Philharmonic directorship."

DD: {{ahem}} Wouldn't that be 'Glibert', according to the headline? {{beating a dead horse}}

Apr. 07 2015 01:11 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

I now happily write my favorite kind of response to a performance. I say Bravo and thank you to one and all involved in this beautiful performance, so carefully balanced and articulated throughout. The vocal solos, as well as the New York Choral Artists en masse, are beyond praise. I have to express my admiration also for the solo instrumentalists: the violin in "Laudamus Te", the flute in "Domine Deus", both flutes in "Qui Tollis", the Oboe D'amore in "Qui Sedes", both oboes in "Et in unum Dominum", horn and bassoons in "Quoniam", and the three high trumpets. Surprisingly, there was a decision made to substitute solo flute for solo violin in "Benedictus". I daresay J.S. Bach himself wouldn't have minded, (especially since the playing was so good), judging by his penchant for writing clavier concertos that were previously violin concertos. I also daresay that Alan Gilbert considers this performance one of his major satisfactions in his New York Philharmonic directorship. I think he should. J.S. Bach's use of and mastery of chromaticism in "Crucifixus" and "Agnus Dei" is just as astonishing to me as is the "traditional" polyphonic writing. Humbling and awe-inspiring are the best words I can come up with to describe this two-decade or so compilation of liturgical music by J.S. Bach.

Apr. 05 2015 02:33 PM

"Jerrold Alpern from Brooklyn
Who cares how the conductor's name was spelled?"

@ Gerald Aplern, really?

A major conductor of a major orchestra? And a public radio station can't get the name right? How can I trust them to use my yearly contribution wisely, if they can't get the basics right?
DD~~

Apr. 04 2015 03:13 AM
Jerrold Alpern from Brooklyn

Who cares how the conductor's name was spelled? The performance was fantastic! Incredibly good!

Apr. 03 2015 05:01 PM
gg from syosset

beautiful, beautiful concert !

Apr. 02 2015 10:24 PM
drm from United States

how hip and fleet and clear a performance, typo or no

Apr. 02 2015 09:54 PM

Maybe Glibert conducted Bcah tonight. DD~~

Apr. 02 2015 09:45 PM
voiceanddiction from United States

Well, it's 9:44 on April 2nd, and this guy Alan Glibert is still the conductor. How glib we've all been....

Apr. 02 2015 09:44 PM

@ CastaDiva: Hmmm, it's sort of like the 'square/rectangle' situation. Yes, typo; yes, misspelling. And I'm well aware that headline writers are not the same people as the body text writers.

That said, this type of error should not still be here, more than 12 hours later. I expect more of WQXR.

Maybe they're waiting for the offending employee to show up to rub his/her nose in it, but I don't think so. DD~~

Apr. 02 2015 09:41 PM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

Not to be pedantic, but it is a typo, not a misspelling. Presumably, the person who wrote the headline well knows that the first syllable in the conductor's surname is not Gli, but Gil. A misspelling would be if they had made his first name Allan or Allen, instead of Alan.

Apr. 02 2015 08:04 PM

As DD has pointed out they msspelled ALAN GILBERT's name in the headline. Funnier still IMHO was a time I and J.D. CANNON performed with JAYE P. MORGAN in the musical THE KING AND I. Before the performance started I got hold of the program and on the cover page it read THE KING AND I IN JAYE P. MORGAN.
Jaye when I showed it to her laughed uproariously and said "Ken, I just can't stop laughing." So often it is how we react to a circumstance. On one of my concerts the playbill had the caption Kenneth Bennett Lane, heldentenor; Edith Evans, accomplice [not what obviously it should have read, accompanist). The BACH B MINOR MASS is one of the epic music masterpieces. Let's enjoy hearing it. www.WagnerOpera.com

Apr. 02 2015 04:00 PM
Ellen L from West Chester, PA

Good catch, DD. In this age of the spellchecker, and in a headline, no less, it is incomprehensible how WQXR could misspell the name of the New York Philharmonic's Music Director. I am looking forward to the performance, nevertheless.

Let's see how long it takes for the correction.

Apr. 02 2015 10:01 AM
DuckDeadeye

Please, please, please fix the headline. The conductor's name is misspelled. DD~~

Apr. 02 2015 08:56 AM