Brewery Launches Beer Series Inspired by Holst's The Planets

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Beer (Shutterstock)

Classical music fans planning a July Fourth picnic can currently turn to a handful of melodious brews for the occasion, including Rheingold beer, Amadeus Blanche and Falstaff Beer.

Next month brings a new entrant to the repertoire-themed beer market: Bells Brewery of Kalamazoo, MI is launching The Planet Series, inspired by Gustav Holst's composition The Planets. The series will feature seven beers, each inspired by a movement from the orchestral suite, starting with Mars: The Bringer of War.

The company plans to launch a successive installment every other month through July 2015. The lineup, according to Bells:

"Mars, The Bringer of War" – Double IPA
"Venus, The Bringer of Peace" – A Blonde Ale brewed with honey, apricot, vanilla and cardamom
"Mercury, The Winged Messenger" – A Belgian Single
"Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity" – A malt forward Brown Ale
"Saturn, The Bringer of Old Age" – A Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine
"Uranus, The Magician" – Black Double IPA
"Neptune, The Mystic" – A beer inspired by Dr. Bell’s Medicinal Stout

"This piece, being in seven movements, gives us a lot of freedom to innovate and create," said Larry Bell, Bell's president and founder in a statement.

Bells has previously created a limited release French-styled beer called Le Contrebassiste, which it says "reflects the deep, rich flavors" of the double bass.

The week of July Fourth typically sees beer sales of about 30 to 40 percent higher than the average week, according to industry data, and many breweries are hoping to overcome an industry-wide slump.

Below: listen to Mars from The Planets (Youtube):

@ Ed -- check out their website. It has a feature to find out where their beer is sold. The NYC area is listed but I don't know whether the specialty beers will be available. DD~~

Jul. 09 2014 03:30 AM
Jared from Greenwich CT

Well I for one would happily try both IPAs to start, however they all sound interesting (well medicinal stout i dunnoo about!) -Does each six pack come with "Aleve, Destroyer of Hangovers"?? :P

If I made my own micro I'd start with a "JS Bock"

Jul. 08 2014 11:24 PM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, NJ

David from Highland Park, I'd read "The Ideal in the Wet!" Would stay away from Uranus beer, though ...

Jul. 07 2014 10:47 PM
David from Highland Park, NJ

Gee, you'd think I'd know how to spell the name of my own book. It's "The Ideal in the West," and I do talk about Charles Ives in it, if that helps.

Jul. 06 2014 12:59 PM
Ed from Marlboro, NJ

Will this beer be available in the NY area? I'd buy it just to keep the bottles!

Jul. 06 2014 09:01 AM

@ David -- good question. What is this book, "The Ideal in the Wet, that you refer to?

DD~~

Jul. 05 2014 04:57 PM
harry haff from Prescott, AZ

My two favorite things: classical music and great beer. Brewers are totally nuts which is why the beer tastes so good. And Bell's makes goooood beer.

Jul. 03 2014 05:54 PM
David from Highland Park, NJ

Gee, if I were to invent a classical music tie-in to my book, "The Ideal in the Wet, would you give me free publicity also?

Jul. 03 2014 05:30 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

I'll drink to that. The world never has enough of good booze.

Jul. 03 2014 09:23 AM