Donizetti's 'Anna Bolena' featuring Sondra Radvanovsky

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Sondra Radvanovsky in the title role of Donizetti's Anna Bolena. (Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

Tune in at 1pm on WQXR for the Metropolitan Opera's broadcast of Gaetano Donizetti’s Anna Bolena. Sir Marco Armiliato is conducting.

Sir David McVicar’s period production stars Sondra Radvanovsky as the Anne Boleyn; Ildar Abdrazakov is King Henry VIII; Milijana Nikolic (replacing Jamie Barton, who is ill) is Giovanna Seymour, the king’s mistress; and Stephen Costello plays Lord Riccardo Percy, the queen’s love interest.

Cast:

Sondra Radvanovsky: Anna Bolena

Ildar Abdrazakov: King Henry VIII

Milijana Nikolic: Giovanna Seymour

Tamara Mumford: Smeton

Stephen Costello: Lord Riccardo Percy

Marco Armiliato, conductor

CastaDiva from New York, NY

Viva Donizetti! Gorgeous music. But It’s a pity that Barton did not sing, as she was outstanding (as she usually is) in the run earlier this season. Did not like the excessive vibrato in Nikolic’s voice. And the vocal fireworks that Radvanovsky and Barton produced in the start of Act 2 were missing in this performance. Otherwise, it was an excellent cast, and I enjoyed listening to it.

Jan. 09 2016 04:54 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

I think, on the whole, this was a great day for singing. I was stunned at first and surprised that the Overture was omitted, but from the idiomatic singing throughout... high notes rather than the lower octave as written ... plus interpolated high notes by practically everyone at times... were done with great taste and style, completely appropriate to a Bel Canto-era opera. There were many cuts, traditionally of seoond verses, but I seriously doubt that any attending in person felt short-changed. The principal singers sounded as fresh at the conclusion as they did at the beginning. Kudos to Milijana Nikolic for her Giovanna Seymour on short notice. For me, the rather wide vibrato made for some pitch difficulty at times. This small quibble aside, I feel all the principals were outstanding. Kudos also to the four horns and the English horn solos. Amazingly to me, Sondra Radvanovsky opted to sing a two-octave drop rather than the one octave drop in the Number 11 duet.

Jan. 09 2016 04:54 PM
Madison from Manhattan

Some spectacular singing today by Rad & I've never heard Stephen Costello better. But, looking at the photo,what's with the production? Looks as if the director back-dated the opera to the 16th century! How is the audience supposed to understand what the opera is about?

Jan. 09 2016 02:45 PM
Larry Eisenberg from new york city

At this Opera I planned to rejoice,
Radvanovsky's been in better voice,
But the music's divine,
The Orchestra's fine,
Still, lack of perfection annoys

Jan. 09 2016 02:02 PM
Editalicia from Washington, DC

I look forward to hearing the opera. Just wanted to mention that she is a Tudor queen, not a Tutor... It says that on the home page changing features screen. Thanks for everything.

Jan. 09 2016 12:50 PM
Ellen L from West Chester, PA

Yes, Les, one of the few times I can say I am sorry not to be able to see the production. Looking forward especially to Jamie Barton, a lovely young mezzo, heard, and seen, in a concert from QXR's Greene Space.

Jan. 09 2016 11:08 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Beduzzo Cavanaugh: Hope you are well and best wishes for a Happy New Year.
Have not seen any posts from you.

Do not know if I will listen today. Not one of my favorites.

Jan. 09 2016 06:48 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

Three cheers for the Met for engaging this cast and a conductor to the manor born and especially for the decision not to employ any concept production. How fortunate for all those who can attend in person. Come one, come all. It goes without saying that the orchestra and chorus will be at their usual level of excellence. "See you" all in the radio/internet audience.

Jan. 09 2016 06:25 AM