Donizetti's 'Anna Bolena' from Lyric Opera of Chicago

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Donizetti’s 'Anna Bolena' at Lyric Opera of Chicago Donizetti’s 'Anna Bolena' at Lyric Opera of Chicago (Robert Kusel)

King Henry VIII grows bored with second wife, Anne Boleyn, and promises Jane Seymour his devotion. Anne has ill wishes for Jane, but knows that the guilt lies within her husband.

Join us today at 1 pm for a broadcast of Donizetti's opera from the Lyric Opera of Chicago, starring American Verdian soprano Sondra Radvanovsky as Anne Boleyn, American mezzo-soprano Jamie Barton as Jane Seymour and Canadian bass-baritone John Relyea as King Henry VIII.

Tudor history comes to life in this 1830 Italian opera that recounts the grandeur and misfortune of the King's second wife. Past love Lord Richard Percy comes back into Anne's life and further complicates her relationship with Henry. Donizetti recounts Anne tumble from the King's graces, complete with deception and drama at every turn. The piece also includes a selfless sacrifice that restores faith in love and family ties.

Kevin Newbury directs an updated take on the production, which opened at the Lyric last December.

CAST:
Jane Seymour:  Jamie Barton
Smeton:  Kelley O’Connor
Anne Boleyn:  Sondra Radvanovsky
King Henry VIII:  John Relyea
Lord Rochford:  Richard Ollarsaba
Lord Richard Percy:  Bryan Hymel
Lord Hervey:  John Irvin

CONDUCTOR:  Patrick Summers
DIRECTOR:  Kevin Newbury
CHORUS:  Lyric Opera Chorus
CHORUS MASTER:  Michael Black

Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Forgive me folks as I am on a roll.
@Uncle Charlie,
Rossini borrowed some of Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante in E for violin and viola, second movement, for the duet between Almaviva and Figaro, first act. Could you spot that?
Best wishes,
Will stop now as I have to prepare a wonderful meal for the people I love
but stay tuned. As you have noticed, I am modest.

Jun. 07 2015 08:03 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Uncle Charlie: I think I am going to write an opera entitled "Uncle Charlie lost his sense of humor."
Bellini and Donizetti whose music I love can understand my feelings. Bellini's music was holy water that some composers, including Wagner and Chopin dipped into. Siegfried Rhine Journey and the finale of Magic Fire Music and finale of Norma flow right into each other. So you see, I am not ignorant of great music. In the film, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Victor Magleann(?) is entering a blacksmith shop. The music is an Irish Jig because he is a little tipsy, when he is in the shop, the music changes into the hammering music from Das Rheingold. Would you be able to spot that? I doubt it. Not really ignorant of great music am I?
Best wishes, really. This is fun as I love a good kerfuffle.

Jun. 07 2015 07:01 AM
SteveNYC

Henry the Seventh? Really? REALLY???

And not one of 14 posters noticed??????

This is why opera is dying if not dead. No one is in any way longer literate. Not musically. Not historically. Not in any way.

Jun. 06 2015 11:53 PM

ok concetta deal, the minute you stop referring to bel canto masterpieces as "dogs" I'll keep the conversation "civilized". Or when you produce 1 minute of music as remotely as good as anything Donizetti & Bellini ever wrote I'll stop calling you ignorant of great music.

Jun. 06 2015 07:45 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Wrong Uncle Charlie, I am not ignorant of great music, just opinionated and salty. Of course you can criticize me but it sounded very personal. As for I Puritani, yes I have called it a bow-wow in the past. However, I recently watched Fitzcarraldo and the final scene had opera singers dressed as Puritans singing on his boat going up the Amazon River. I dislike Puritani less as the scene was beautiful. But please, let's keep this civilized.

Jun. 06 2015 05:15 PM

We should not have lost that wonderful, caring person MARGARET JUNTWAIT to ovarian cancer. Why is it that much less funding is directed to women's medical problems than is devoted to men's health? It has always been this discrimination, but why does it yet persist? Ovarian cancer has been a major medical problem known for many many years. Let us start putting our scientific and money resources to work for saving lives not squandering it on pet projects for politicians's own hometown projects or for wars that will never bring anything but hate, mistrust and draw away from our country's urgent needs.
www.wagneropera.com.

Jun. 06 2015 05:09 PM

SONDRA RADVANOVSKY as Anne Boleyn is definitely in her signature phase. Last Saturday, I sang my reprise of one third of my TEN LANGUAGE SOLO DEBUT in the main hall of Carnegie Hall, a three hour long concert on Sunday April 24, 1955, beginning at 5:30 PM and ending at 8:45 PM. It was my first of my 4 three hour long solo concerts in what is now known as the Isaac Stern Auditorium. Longevity to a vocal career requires doing the music that is appropriate to one's own vocal fach, having a vocal and dramaturgy technique that sustains a wide vocal range, carrying power and stamina. My upcoming ALL-WAGNER reprise of 12 selections from my two ALL-WAGNER concerts in Carnegie Hall's main hall will be on Saturday, October 17th at New York City's Pennsylvania Hotel as part of the NEWLIFE EXPO. Please hear me, free, in 37 out of the nearly 100 I sang in my Carnegie Hall concerts,if you are interested at the RECORDED SELECTIONS venue of my website www.WagnerOpera.com.

Jun. 06 2015 05:01 PM
Dennis S. from Richmond, TX

No matter how well sung, it will always be SEVERAL rungs below Sills.

Jun. 06 2015 05:01 PM

concetta I wasn't attacking you personally since I never met you, I was referring to your ignorance of great music. You wrote the same nonsense about I Puritani as I recall. You're free to trash masterworks on the day they're being broadcast on their very WQXR discussion page, though to me that's trolling. Likewise, I'm free to criticize your opinion of them.

Jun. 06 2015 04:43 PM
VESPASIAN from Suffolk

Uncle Charlie: Poor form. Ms.Concetta did not personally insult you. I did not know Anna Bolena needed her honor to be defended.
Lighten up.

Jun. 06 2015 03:41 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Uncle Charlie, Sir, I am not ignorant of great music and please do not be personal in your attacks as that is ignorance. We can be a little salty in our comments. Don't be so sensitive. Salt is necessary in our lives. I know complete operas by heart as well as other classical gems. This is from my early teenage years. We are supposed to a better class of bum, to quote Robert Mitchum when he got out of jail.
We do not have to love every bit of music just because it is "classical". Let's be honest, there are dogs out there.
As for Anna Bolena, this opera depicts her in a better light than Wolf Hall and the film, The Other Boleyn Girl.

Jun. 06 2015 02:57 PM

concetta the only thing that deserves to be neglected is your ignorance of great music. Anna Bolena was an immediate hit when it opened and was a great influence on many composers, especially Verdi. It's impossible not to be moved to tears by the beauty of it, the final scene most of all, I'm delighted it's being produced more often.

Jun. 06 2015 02:39 PM
The Marschallin from Manhattan

La critique est aisee, mais l'art est difficile...
I don't know about you guys, but if I had written this opera, (especially the aria we just heard) I would be pretty pleased with myself...

Jun. 06 2015 02:26 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Ellen: Yes, I dislike Stiffelio as well as I Lombardi. On my list, Il Tabarro, La Rondine. I was gifted with a dvd of Anna Bolena and had to be gracious when I received it. It is gathering dust. Ms. Radvanosky(?) is a joy.
Best wishes

Jun. 06 2015 10:16 AM
Ellen from West Chester, PA

Have to disagree, Concetta. My personal favorite opera you love to hate is Stiffielo, which thankfully has not been revived. And Radvanovsky is always a joy to hear, imho. Did you notice the goof in the introduction? It says Henry VII. Who is doing the editing, one wonders.

Jun. 06 2015 09:33 AM
Adele F. (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

Several of us listeners to Saturday Afternoon at the Met have wondered why host Margaret Juntwait was away for so long. Well, now we know: sorry to hear that she passed away at age 58 on Wednesday, after losing a battle with cancer. That came as a surprise, even though she had not been on the air since I think January. May she rest in peace.

Jun. 06 2015 05:24 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

What a dog. Bow Wow. Of all the operas that are not being produced, really neglected masterpieces, this dog keeps getting produced. An opera that deserves to be neglected.

Jun. 05 2015 07:05 AM