Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia from the Caramoor Festival

Saturday, November 08, 2014

Soprano Angela Meade in 'Lucrezia Borgia' at the Caramoor Festival Soprano Angela Meade in 'Lucrezia Borgia' at the Caramoor Festival (Gabe Palacio)

Saturday at 1 pm, join us for a special broadcast of Donizetti's two-act melodrama Lucrezia Borgia, about the poison-wielding Renaissance power woman, starring soprano Angela Meade.

The concert production, from the Caramoor Festival in Katonah, NY, was recorded this summer as part of its Bel Canto at Caramoor series, directed by scholar-conductor Will Crutchfield.

The cast also features the tenor Michele Angelini as the son the ruthless Lucrezia unwittingly kills; the mezzo-soprano Tamara Mumford as his best friend Orsini; and the bass Christophoros Stamboglis as the Duke of Ferrara.

Donizetti's 1833 opera is based on Victor Hugo's play of the same name, which shined a light on the corruption around the Renaissance Papacy.

Cast:

Angela Meade, soprano; Tamara Mumford, mezzo-soprano; Michele Angelini, tenor; Christophoros Stamboglis, bass; Bel Canto Young Artists; Orchestra of St. Luke’s; Will Crutchfield, conductor and Director of Opera.

>>CONDUCTED WITRH PIZASS, magnificently. i am a Wagnerian heldentenor<<

What is this PIZASS you speak of?

I am not a ... DD~~

Nov. 10 2014 02:04 AM

>>notwithstanding the terrible photo of poor Angela Meade!<<

Why is that a terrible photo of Angela Meade? DD~~

Nov. 09 2014 06:07 PM

LUCREZIA BORGIA possesses all the ingredients necessary for grand opera. Although ANGELA MEADE stole the show with her title role performance, the basso CHRISTOPHOROS STAMBOGLIS as rhe DUKE OF FERRARA IS a world class singer. WILL CRUTCHFIELD CONDUCTED WITRH PIZASS, magnificently. i am a Wagnerian heldentenor, an opera composer ["Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare"], teacher of voice production and I train and coach big-voiced singers in the Wagner rep and actors in the Shakespeare oeuvre. www.WagnerOpera.com

Nov. 08 2014 06:33 PM
JLC from NYC

The Borgia was wonderful but I missed part of the first act. Is it ever streamed again?

Nov. 08 2014 05:14 PM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

@Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

Yes, I was not aware of it either. And I missed the final aria Era desso il figlio mio, where Lucrezia sings over the body of the poisoned Gennaro. I was looking forward to Meade's fiery ornamentation in it, and was disappointed not to hear it.

Nov. 08 2014 03:47 PM
The Marschallin from Manhattan, NY

Has anybody read the New York Times review by Richard Aldrich in 1904? (see Met Opera Archives)
I have never seen such a nasty one! I guess he never learned "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!"
I for one enjoyed this performance very much, not withstanding the terrible photo of poor Angela Meade!

Nov. 08 2014 03:40 PM
Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

Terrific! And quite enjoyed hearing the alternate ending (which I didn't know existed).

Nov. 08 2014 03:32 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Fine performances, lovely music, scurrilous(?) story.

Nov. 08 2014 02:45 PM
Vince from Wyckoff, NJ

Will this performance be available again on a webstream? I missed the beginning of it. Many thanks,

Nov. 08 2014 02:39 PM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

Wonderful performance. Am enjoying it so much. Impressive singers, all of them. Congratulations, Caramoor, for producing this, and to Will Crutchfield and all the singers, for doing this so magnificently. This is a terrific Donizetti opera, with showcase arias for the singers, a tuneful score, and lots of drama, although the Victor Hugo play, to which the libretto closely hews to, quite distorts reality---Lucrezia was not the monster she is depicted as, but rather, a victim of her power grabbing father and brothers. I've always loved this opera, and treasure the 1966 recording with Caballe, Verrett, Kraus and Flagello. It's a wonder that Lucrezia hasn't been performed in many years at the Met, or, for that matter, ever, to my knowledge, by OONY, where bel canto opera is the forte of its founder and conductor, Eve Queler. Perhaps, these companies will be inspired by this truly marvelous Caramoor performance. And I hope the Met will take note of the talented tenor and basso, neither of whom, I think, has yet sung there.

Nov. 08 2014 02:16 PM

masterful score way ahead of its time, influenced Verdi who lifted many passages for his Rigoletto and other operas. The essay Dark Shadows by Will Crutchfield published by Opera News lists in detail all the borrowings from Lucrecia Borgia by Verdi, fascinating.

Nov. 08 2014 12:28 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

I do not know the music to this one. But she has been defamed by political enemies of her family and the reputation is undeserved. She was forced into political marriages and not responsible for the deaths of husbands. Her last husband was the Duke of Ferrara, I believe. A happy marriage. She bore many children and died from complications from childbirth.

Nov. 08 2014 06:58 AM