Prince Igor Returns to the Metropolitan Opera

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Ildar Abdrazakov as Prince Igor Svyatoslavich and Oksana Dyka as Yaroslavna in Borodin's Ildar Abdrazakov as Prince Igor Svyatoslavich and Oksana Dyka as Yaroslavna in Borodin's (Photo: Cory Weaver/Metropolitan Opera)

Saturday at 12 noon: for the first time in nearly a century the Metropolitan Opera is staging Alexander Borodin's epic Prince Igor. Russian director Dmitri Tcherniakov has newly arranged the opera for this production, giving it what many call a dreamlike quality.

There really is no original or definitive production of Prince Igor. The opera, composed by Borodin, recounts Russian prince Igor Svyatoslavich's fateful military campaign against the invading Cumans. The story is largely based on a prized piece of Russian literature, The Lay of Igor's Host. Borodin worked on the opera for roughly 18 years, but died before its completion leaving his original intentions for the work unrealized. It was finally finished posthumously by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and Alexander Glazunov and premiered in St. Petersburg in 1890.

Since then the opera has been produced many times over in many notable (and not so notable) ways. This week the Met throws its hat in the ring. Tune in to see what you think!

Cast:

Conductor: Gianandrea Noseda
Yaroslavna: Oksana Dyka
Konchakovna: Anita Rachvelishvili
Vladimir Igorevich: Sergey Semishkur
Prince Igor Svyatoslavich: Ildar Abdrazakov
Prince Galitsky: Mikhail Petrenko
Khan Konchak: Stefan Kocán

concetta nardone from Nassau

Thank you for your kind comments Mr. St. Onge. I too am from Little Italy. From Thompson St. Although it might be considered Greenwich Village. Mr. Siff really gets on my nerves, sorry about that. I know I am a little earthy at times. I am sure he is a nice man. People do not make the sign of the cross when they see my approach. They worship the ground I walk on. Lovely opera Prince Igor.

Mar. 02 2014 01:16 PM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

Dear Concetta, keep it up. You might get the hang of it. Seriously though, I used to live in Little Italy in NYC on Mulberry Street. (Remember the scene in 'The Godfather' where Marlon Brando was shot while buying fruit? That's my building in the background.) There were a few elderly women like you around and people would make a Sign of the Cross when encountering them. Is that really what you want to be? By the way, Ira's last name is S-I-F-F. Even "nasty" people should spell correctly. Excuse me now, I'm on my way to see the HD of 'Prince Igor' (a repeat - we get them early in Santa Fe). Here's an idea. Let's talk about music instead of personal quirks. With best wishes for a happy life, Robert St.Onge

Mar. 02 2014 11:09 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Mr. St. Onge, what would life be with an occasional kerfuffle. Helps to see different opinions and that is always a good thing. Again, I am being nice, twice today. How about that.

Mar. 02 2014 09:48 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Mr. St.Onge, I am not a bitter old woman but a nasty one. One of my dreads is that I become a sweet old woman. Ugh. Admit it, he is annoying but everyone is too polite to say so. I have not tried to offend anyone and I am sure Mr. Schiff is a very nice person, something I am not. I am nice to my family only because I have to and reasonably civil to others. I have to turn off the radio when he is gushing. There was a time when I would love to listen to the intermissions.
With very best wishes to all, really. See I am being nice. Ugh.

Mar. 02 2014 08:03 AM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

Ms. Nardone, I know you have your "thing" about Mr. Siff and his voice and his, as you put it, "gushing", and you have stated it so many times that I'm beginning to think that you are trying to start one of your infamous 'kerfuffles'. I hear Mr. Siff as a highly enthusiastic cheer-leader for the art of opera in all its aspects - which is more that be said for you and your often, to put it nicely, snarky attitudes. I have refrained from pointing it out due to the fact that you, as you have often said, are a senior citizen, but that does not entitle you to a lack of civility towards someone who has attained a highly regarded position in the Opera world. When you've, among other things, directed opera performances at Tanglewood conducted by James Levine, then you can express such dismissive twaddle as you have done lo these many years! I am a senior citizen myself but I pray that I may never grow into a bitter old person. I love life too much.

Mar. 01 2014 06:05 PM

What a mighty paeon to civilizations this music with its chorus and soloists and orchestra performing SO MAGNIFICENTLY as at this MET OPERA performance. An appropriate signature opera by BORODIN.
KUDOS to ALL CONCERNED. The performance has just ended to well-deserved applause.

Mar. 01 2014 04:37 PM
Vicki Richman from Harlem, New York

Hmm, "sensitive" is an ugly word, Ms. concetta nardone from Nassau.

I prefer "passionate."

Mar. 01 2014 04:19 PM

PRINCE IGOR has that epic quality that distinguishes drawing room simplistic soap opera plots from the major masterpieces that deal with emotionally-complicated political power plays. Wagner, Verdi and Moussorgsky dealt so affirmatively with political ramifications. It is about time that masterpieces like Prince Igor and Die Frau ohne Schatten that the MET OPERA is performing this season be given their rightful share with the more popular chestnuts in the repertoire of opera companies. Given the actual production values with confirmed financial backing, the appropriate singers will appear when those conditions are understood to be permanent and not just fads. I am a Wagnerian romantischer heldentenor. I will sing the four song cycles that are most often performed in their orchestral garb:the complete Wagner's "Wesendonck Lieder," the complete Mahler's "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen," the tenor's music in Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" and Waldemar's music in Schoenberg's "Gurre-Lieder" at the New Life Expo at the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC on Saturday March 22nd at 6 PM in the Gold Room on the second floor. I have sung four three-hour-long solo concerts, the last two ALL-WAGNER concerts, in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall including programming the Wagner and the first named Mahler song cycle. One may hear my singing LIVE from the main hall, the Isaac Stern Auditorium of CARNEGIE HALL, from my four three-hour-long solo concerts by downloading, FREE, 37 out of the nearly 100 selections that I have sung there by going to RECORDED SELECTIONS on my websites www.WagnerOpera.com, www.ShakespeareOpera.com and www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com Roles represented from live performances are Otello, Siegfried, Goetterdaemmerung Siegfried, Florestan, Tristan, Parsifal, Siegmund, Walther von Stolzing, Rienzi, Lohengrin,Orfeo, Federico and, in oratorio,

Mar. 01 2014 03:50 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Don't be so sensitive Ms. Richman. He is annoying. This is not spiteful bigotry. He is annoying with his gushing. And who are you to say what can and what cannot be posted on qxr website. Is it bigotry to get annoyed at someone's voice. Wow, sensitive, sensitive. Boo-Hoo.

Mar. 01 2014 02:57 PM
Vicki Richman from Harlem, New York

Ira Siff is an acclaimed, an esteemed, counter-tenor. The comments by Concetta and russo-alesi (e.g., "...O my God...(male or what??? )")are clearly spiteful bigotry at male singers in the female range. There is no place on this web site, or on wqxr radio, for such hateful philistinism.

Mar. 01 2014 02:33 PM
Concetta nardone from Nassau

Russo-Alessi, can't stand Ira Schiff's voice either. Had to turn the radio off. I do not want to see him without a job. Perhaps he can work in the mail room. He is really annoying, gushing all over the place. Will someone please cap him?

Mar. 01 2014 01:49 PM
russo-alesi, ignatius

I enjoy the comments during the opera presentation. Very well done...BUT....Ira Schif's voice...O my God...( male or what??? )

Thanks ...Qxr is an island (a continent) of civility in the media.

Mar. 01 2014 12:21 PM