Giacomo Puccini's 'La Bohème'

Saturday, December 05, 2015

A scene from Act II of "La Bohème." (Cory Weaver/Metropolitan Opera)

Join us on Saturday at 1 pm as the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts Franco Zeffirelli's production of Puccini's "La Boheme." This broadcast features Barbara Frittoli, who sings Mimi, and Ramón Vargas, starring as Rodolfo.

A play in four parts, "La Boheme" tells the tragic love story of Rodolfo and Mimi as they struggle for survival in bohemian Paris. Paolo Carignani conducts the Metropolitan Opera's production of this classic tale of love and friendship.

Cast:

Marcello: Levente Molnár
Rodolfo: Ramón Vargas
Colline: Christian Van Horn
Schaunard: Alexey Lavrov
Benoit: John Del Carlo
Mimì: Barbara Frittoli
Parpignol: Daniel Clark Smith
Alcindoro: John Del Carl
Musetta: Ana María Martínez
Customhouse Sergeant: Jason Hendrix
Customhouse Officer: Joseph Turi

Paolo Carignani, conductor

Ouch!

"Almost all the opera singers before the public today are just so-so."

And again I say, "Ouch."

DD~~

Dec. 06 2015 09:53 PM

Concetta, we also must decry the emphasis on sensationalism at the MET OPERA and on BROADWAY. Besides Jussi Bjorling who I had seen in most of his Met Opera performances in the 1940s and 'til his very last performance at the MET and got to meet after every performance, I miss most De Los Angeles, Callas, London, Bastianini, Melchior, Flagstad, Varnay and Steber. Besides the legendary opera singers I studied voice with Schorr, Kipnis, Brownlee, Singher, Mack Harrell, Frieda Hempel, Margarete Matzenauer and Karin Branzell, those singers I have mentioned here and earlier,have made the opera experience what it should be. Almost all the opera singers before the public today are just so-so. Concetta, keep up your lively commentaries. wwww.WagnerOpera.com

Dec. 06 2015 12:34 PM

What strange comments. Especially references to boy sopranos in Tosca. And G&S, jazz, folk singing and NEW LIFE EXPO concerts. Aren't these on-topic comments meant to refer to the MET's "Boheme"?

Thank you for the poetry, Mr. E.

DD~~

Dec. 06 2015 03:08 AM

The Shepherd in Tosca is usually sung by a boy soprano

Dec. 05 2015 03:24 PM
Nick from Tampa

Zeffrell's production is by far the best every by any opera house any place in the world. No wonder it still draws audiences after so many decades!

Dec. 05 2015 03:15 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Thank you Mr. Eisenberg
@KBL: No Bjoerling either.

Dec. 05 2015 03:09 PM

Today's cast is more or less a conventional cast. No outstanding voices. No Corelli, Pavarotti, Tebaldi, Sutherland, Merrill, Hines. BUT, the prices of tickets, THEY ARE SKI HIGH !!! The maestro PAOLO CARIGNANI is exceptional. KUDOS to you maestro CARIGNANI. Broadway today is also a desert where there are no voices even in the Phantom of the Opera. No doubt my critique is based on my own professional background, but one always contends with what knowledge they possess. Having ranged the rep professionally from Gilbert and Sullivan roles, General Platoff Don Cossacks principal singer, night clubs, lead roles in opera and operette, Broadway musicals, folk singer, jazz, blues and westerns performer, my program of 17 selections on Sunday March 20th, 2015 for the NEWLIFE EXPO at New York's Hotel Pennsylvania is more than a retrospective, but is a "menu" of what I have sung. On one of my websites www.WagnerOpera.com one may download 37 selections from my four three hour-long solo concerts in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall. I am A Wagnerian heldentenor and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, where all the Wagner operatic roles and Shakespeare acting roles are coached. My two Shakespeare operas, "Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare" will be obtainable to download from my websites on July 2017.

Dec. 05 2015 03:04 PM
Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

I am very glad that Mary Jo Heath will be our host for the opera broadcasts!!

Dec. 05 2015 03:01 PM
Melcjo from London

I would love to be in the same room when BF reads that !!!

Dec. 05 2015 02:04 PM
Larry Eisenberg from new york city

Old chestnut, but lovely still,
And an enchanting musical thrill,
And what a third act,
A sublime impact,
With Puccini's incredible skill.

Dec. 05 2015 01:38 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Sorry that Margaret has left us.
@Cavanaugh: Hope you are well.

Dec. 05 2015 01:02 PM

Huh. I guess Frittoli is a featured player while Vargas is a star. At least according to the article text.

DD~~