Giacomo Puccini's 'Tosca' from the Lyric Opera of Chicago

Friday, July 10, 2015

Tosca by Giacomo Puccini performed by the Lyric Opera of Chicago (Todd Rosenberg, Lyric Opera Of Chicago)

Join us this Saturday, July 11th at 1pm for Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of Tosca by Giacomo Puccini. This production stars Tatiana Serjan as Tosca, and Brian Jagde as Cavaradossi, and Evgeny Nikitin as Scarpia. This production is Directed by John Caird

Rome in the year 1800 is a deadly place for dissidents. The painter Cavaradossi risks everything to shelter his comrade; but his lover, the fiery Tosca, keeps playing cat and mouse with the lustful and sadistic Baron Scarpia, the chief of police. If Cavaradossi is condemned, will Tosca trade her honor to save him?

Tosca: Tatiana Serjan
Cavaradossi: Brian Jagde
Scarpia: Evgeny Nikitin

Lyric Opera Chorus and Orchestra
Conductor: Dmitri Jurowski
Director: John Caird
Chorus Master: Michael Black

Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

@Concetta Glad you also like DiStefano. And I have a pretty complete collection of all his recordings, studio and pirate!

Jul. 11 2015 09:29 PM
Dorothy from NJ

Poor Mr. Jagde. He died long before Mario did!

Jul. 11 2015 06:03 PM
Ted Cerame from Perris, CA

To pull off an opera as close to the interpretation the composer intended is an extremely difficult task. It takes expertise, talent, a life time of discipline, dedication and understanding and love of that which the composer achieved. Consider James Levine and the Met orchestra when under his and Volpe’s guidance. Although a handful of other organizations prove worthy the numbers alas remain few who have been able to give us the music the composer gave the world.
Thus the standards must be kept at a premium.
Is it my imagination, is it just me, but has the Met and Chicago, other than sticking in a good name here and there, replaced world class performers with kids recently graduated? Other than the Russian who played Tosca today for the rest it just seemed to me that the opera flattened out. You could tell it was a Puccini yet lost somewhere in mediocrity?
And for what, to save money?
I was always proud of the Met, the, “House,” but over the past number of years, other than the spike of Margaret Juntwait we tragically lost, the Great Met does not seem so great anymore.

Jul. 11 2015 05:53 PM
Madison from Manhattan

PS

Looking at the idiotic costuming in the photo, at least I didn't have to watch it!

Jul. 11 2015 04:03 PM
Madison from Manhattan

By the applause, it must have sounded much better in the house than on the radio. To my ears, as bad a Cavaradossi as I've ever heard and a Tosca I wouldn't want to listen to again. Was the broadcast that much of a distortion?

Jul. 11 2015 03:54 PM
bob from New York

I like the Tosca very much. She's nailing the singing and the little shrieks at the tops--especially in act 2.

Jul. 11 2015 03:36 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Turning this off now. Singers not so hot.
@Adele: Yes, DiStefano, a tenor of superb artistry. Try listening to his rendition of Neapolitan songs. AND he was devilishy ?) handsome. Handsome is good.

Jul. 11 2015 03:36 PM
Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

I agree that the tenor (so far anyway) is not good at all--actually a bit painful for me. I was introduced to opera via "The" Tosca recording, the '53 studio version with Callas and DiStefano, my all time tenor favorite!!

Jul. 11 2015 01:27 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Tenor so far not so hot. Oh poor me, I have the recording with Jussi and Zinka.

Jul. 11 2015 01:20 PM
Judith from Boston, MA

I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Jul. 11 2015 01:03 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Years ago, Beverly Sills sang in a production of Tosca set in fascist Italy. I was very young at the time I viewed this and like it at the time. I thought it worked. Let us hope the singers do this masterpiece justice. There is an episode on Star Trek with John Colicos and when he makes his entrance, the music from Scarpia's entrance comes to mind.

Jul. 11 2015 12:49 PM

Judging from the picture, yet another "updated" version. I am truly grateful that I will not be able to see this monstrosity. Looking forward to hearing the broadcast commentators try to justify ripping the story from its roots.

Jul. 11 2015 10:47 AM