Gustavo Dudamel Dedicates Berlioz Requiem to Claudio Abbado

Watch the Concert Webcast on Wednesday at 3 pm ET

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Gustavo Dudamel will dedicate the Wednesday night performance of the Berlioz Requiem at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris to the memory of Claudio Abbado, who died on Monday at age 80. The concert, which will be streamed live on Arte TV (see below) will feature the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Simon Bolivar Orchestra of Venezuela, and the combined choirs of Radio France and Notre-Dame.

The webcast is to take place at 3 pm ET (9 pm in Paris) and, according to the organizers, will be captured on some 80 microphones. Dudamel issued the following statement:

"Claudio Abbado will always be part of the exalted group of geniuses in the history of the arts. His endless generosity and love touched me at a very early age and will be always one of the most valuable treasures in my life. It was not only me personally but more importantly our Sistema Nacional de Orquestas Juveniles e Infantiles de Venezuela that he embraced as his family. He gave to us his sincere love and his profound wisdom. On behalf of my colleagues and of Maestro Abreu, I would like to pay an eternal tribute to our beloved Maestro Abbado, with the faith that his spirit and his inspiration will be always with us."

Watch the live webcast here:

Wolfgang Zimmerman from Europe

Try this link for the Berlioz Requiem. It worked o.k. for me.

Feb. 16 2014 12:09 AM
Harris Green

The repeat broadcast on January 23 of the Berlioz Requiem, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, was a disaster. The audio was interrupted every 5 seconds or so. I stuck it out until the chorus reached the incandescent phrase "light" and gave up. And yes, I'm a WNYC senior member, #16443.

Jan. 23 2014 11:17 PM
stevel from morristown, nj

Please make this available for rebroadcast. RIP Maestro Abbado.

Jan. 23 2014 12:17 AM
D Tremper from Maplewood, NJ

Missed it. Is it archived somewhere? But thanks anyway for streaming this extraordinary tribute which is yet another validation of the website functions.

Jan. 22 2014 06:30 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Beautiful - a fitting tribute to Claudio Abbado. I never saw him conduct in person, but I have twice seen Gustavo Dudamel several years ago at the NJPAC, and he is a worthy heir to Maestro Abbado's legacy.

Jan. 22 2014 05:00 PM
Barbara Amato from Irvine, CA

Thanks to all who made this webcast possible. It is a great feeling to be able to participate in this farewell as it only happens once and to be there in spirit at the same time it is happening.

Marvelously performed. A fitting tribute by a fitting director. Applause, Applause, Applause

Barbara Marie Amato of Irvine, CA

Jan. 22 2014 04:53 PM
Peter Feldman from New York City

This performance was extraordinary.

Jan. 22 2014 04:52 PM
Joseph Flynn from Alfred,N.Y. U.S.A.

What an extraordinary moment. Perfect stereo coverage, adroit camera work
combine to bring to my little frozen village a great and fitting tribute to
one of the world's great conductors. A broadcast for the ages! Merci.

Jan. 22 2014 03:57 PM

link doesn't go anywhere

Jan. 22 2014 03:56 PM
CKientzler from Wayne NJ

Web Cast skips too much @ 1Mbitps on my DSL line!
There should be a audio only link, and/or their should be Small Size Picture Option!
Too bad because Dudamel is a favorite of mine that I saw in NYC.

Jan. 22 2014 03:49 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

This concert is a fitting tribute to Maestro Abbado and I'd like to thank WQXR for streaming it.

Jan. 22 2014 06:55 AM
Fred Plotkin from Paris, France

It is widely reported that Abbado saw Dudamel as his spiritual and musical heir. He greatly admired the Bolivar Youth Orchestra and its initiatives of bringing music education to young people as well as poor and disadvantaged people of all types. Abbado gave Dudamel his baton not long ago as a symbolic gesture of confidence--literally, passing the baton.

Jan. 22 2014 03:11 AM