Lincoln Center Expands Bargain Ticket Booth

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Uptown performing arts organizations are getting their own version of the TKTS Booth.

Lincoln Center has announced that it will begin selling discounted tickets for select events taking place at the 92nd Street Y, New York City Center, Merkin Concert Hall and Miller Theater in its David Rubinstein Atrium, at 62nd Street and Broadway. It will also continue to offer cheaper seats for its own constituents' shows there, as it has since 2010.

Under this program, each Tuesday through Saturday, the box office will offer tickets reduced by 25 to 50 percent for events that week. A Friday night performance, for instance, could be purchased on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or as long as inventory lasts. This differs from the day-of-performance model for Broadway shows at the TKTS Booth in Times Square.

The discounts come at a time when arts organizations are moving away from traditional subscription sales in favor of single tickets. It also puts Lincoln Center in the unusual position of selling tickets for competing arts organizations' events. Not included at the Atrium are tickets for the Metropolitan Opera, which has its own discount program.

The Zucker Box Office is open Tuesday through Fridays from 2 pm to 7:45 pm, and on Saturdays from 12 pm until 2 pm, then from 3 pm to 7:45 pm. It is closed on Sunday and Monday. When available, Sunday tickets are sold on Saturday.

"... in your snide comment, what does (Annie Oakley) tickets have to do with the topic at hand, reduced tickets at box office?"

Nothing snide at all. Annie Oakley would put on a sharpshooting exhibition when the Wild West show arrived in town. The promoter would toss a packet of tickets up in the air -- Annie would shoot through them -- and the "Annie Oakleys" (tickets with holes in them) would be distributed as freebies.

There are (or were) many ways to paper a house. DD~~

Oct. 29 2013 12:32 AM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

I may have missed something in your snide comment, what does (Annie Oakley) tickets have to do with the topic at hand, reduced tickets at box office?
Perhaps it is a New Yorkers view of rural life and those who choose to live it.
FYI, I am not the only Opera lover who enjoys horseback riding. The great Sherrill Milnes had his horse stabled in Central Park along side New York City Police horses and would ride through the park frequently. There are a number of photos of him wearing a Western styled sheepskin coat on horseback with the New York skyline in background. Maybe you could suggest tickets to Annie Oakley to him. Charles Fischbein

Oct. 28 2013 07:52 PM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

So Peter Gelb and his top management cohorts are TOO GOOD to be in the company of those who are challenged by our present economy.
Just take a look at how many unsold tickets there are for Enchanted Island and a number of other Opera's scheduled at the Met. Why not give some people who are down on their luck an evening of enjoyment?
I suggest you go down to some lower east side missions and bring yourself to talk to those people who need their services, you will see many well educated people who are caught up in substance abuse or who just cant get a job.
Try applying for a job without having a home address. Its nearly impossible to be taken seriously, and it is people with attitudes like yours that compound their problems. Charles Fischbein

Oct. 28 2013 09:14 AM

p.s. I followed these guidelines: Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Words to live by. DD~~

Oct. 28 2013 03:21 AM

I fully understand papering a house (and even Annie Oakley tickets). I just don't see the Metropolitan Opera inviting people from homeless shelters in to see "Two Boys."

I can also fully understand why your copy editors gave you grief. DD~~

Oct. 28 2013 03:06 AM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

Typo on caught/court in last sentence, sure you will be the first to tell me.. soooo sorry sir, but not humor
I need to re read before i hit post button. Things like this would drive my former copy editor to call me with threats of death by hanging or worse. Thought I would get to you Sir Duck before you got to me
Charles Fischbein
PS You rather strange response to "papering' was so out of left field I thought for a minute it was April first (would make a good April fools joke.
Please don't berate folks in homeless shelters like you berate people for are vs Are, makes you look very anal. Charles Fischbein

Oct. 27 2013 09:01 PM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

Duck, papering a house is a technique used for many many years, in theaters, awards events, etc. It is done when sales or expected attendance is so bad that something must be done to fill a house or ballroom taken for a fund raising event.
Many years ago when I was the executive director of a national charity we had an honoree dinner for a prominent Washington D.C. personality.
Little did my selection committee know that the individual receiving the award was close to being indited for bank fraud. We booked a four hundred seat room at he Washington Hilton, and engaged a former New York Senator to be the keynote speaker.
Two days before the event we had less than a hundred confirmed attendees
We papered the house calling local Synagogues, Churches and other non profits asking them to send individuals at no cost. We took a loss on the event, but the room was full, which at least made the event look like a success. I actually had a prominent board member suggest we rent tuxedos and invite some people from a local homeless shelter to help fill the room. Papering a room or a house is done frequently to avoid embarrassment. Welcome to the real world Duck, if I want to use humor you would know it.
I personally see nothing wrong with asking people from a homeless shelter to enjoy an evening with gourmet food, served by white gloved wait staff so long as they show up sober, and clean, and behave. I was on the Board of our local food bank for a few years and have met wonderful people who through no fault of their own were homeless and hungry. It think it would be wonderful if the Metropolitan Opera chartered a few buses and brought some homeless people to the Met to fill unsold seats. Why should poor people not experience the joy of music and opera that is usually reserved for people of the upper income brackets due to the high price of tickets.
FYI the Senator who we paid $2500.00 to for a fifteen minute speech was so drunk from trips to the open bar we had that he mispronounced the name of the Honoree, one of my staff members had to crawl behind the dais on hands and knees and whisper to him the correct pronunciation of the honorees name.
Four years ago I brought a gentleman who was functionally illiterate, who I was teaching how to read in a volunteer program at our local library, with me to The Met.
You would not believe the look on his face when the curtain came up on the first act of Carmen. At that time he could not yet read the Met Titles so while he was driving me to New York I played a CD of the Opera and read the libretto to him.
Today he frequently that asks me to make copies of my opera CD's he can listen to.
The Senator has since died, so I do not feel right about giving his name, but it was one of the funniest experiences I had in my fund raising career, even thought I court hell from my Board for the entire fiasco. God Speed, Charles Fischbein

Oct. 27 2013 05:07 PM

Is this an attempt at humor?

"It may be necessary to 'paper the house' with free seats for ... folks from homeless shelters so [as to] not to show thousands of empty seats at performances."

If so, it falls very flat. If not, it seems rather silly.

Oct. 27 2013 02:07 AM
Gerhard Schreiber from Cliffdide Park, NJ

I just tried to pledge, I filled out all the required fields, but there was no actual confirmation that the transaction was completed, can you locate it ?

Oct. 26 2013 12:44 PM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

I agree with Mr. Rothenberg that tickets sold at discounts are better for the box office totals than unsold tickets, that is just common sense.
However if Artistic Directors take time to fully understand their audiences there will be far less unsold tickets to discount.
Case in point is the Metropolitan Opera.
While Two Boy's has very and many outright bad reviews outside of the WQXR critic, a look at the large number of unsold tickets at the Met seating charts from their web site shows that this three million dollar production may loose quite a bit of money.
On the other side of the spectrum are the ticket sales for Rusalka. Even five months out there were very few tickets to be had for their February performances.
I feel that four thousand seat theaters are not the proper venues for experimental pieces just to show you are giving contemporary composers opportunities to show off their works.
Broadway shows start out in small cities, undergo many revisions, moving to larger cities like Philadelphia and Washington D.C. before their producers book major Broadway houses. Yes these productions are designed for profit, but even non profit Opera companies must look at the bottom line in today's economic climate.
I invite people to go to the Metropolitan Opera web site and take a look at the massive number of unsold seats for Enchanted Island. It may be necessary to "paper the house" with free seats for students, seniors and even folks from homeless shelters so not to show thousands of empty seats at performances.
The key of a companies success is to know their audience not to schedule based on the individual likes and dislikes of the General and Artistic Directors.
It is not like the old adage, "If you build it they will come". If you stage it they will only come if they like it. God Speed, Charles Fischbein,

Oct. 26 2013 09:29 AM
Sanford Rothenberg from Brooklyn

This represents some good news,welcome in these troubled times on the New York classical music scene.The chance to purchase additional supplies of discounted tickets will be welcomed by the impoverished and the parsimonious.Performing Arts organizations need to understand that sold discounted tickets bring in more revenue than unsold higher-priced tickets.

Oct. 25 2013 06:01 PM